Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer


My Room and Residence Hall

You can find room layout and other information on your residence hall page. All front desks can be found in the residence hall's lobby except for the (University Suites which is located in Schwartz Hall). In the Seahawk apartment communities, the Crossing desk is located in building two, the Landing desk is located in building 6, and the Village desk is located in the clubhouse.

Cleaning & Laundry

Each student is responsible for cleaning their room. Vacuum cleaners are available to check out in each residence hall at the front desk. All communal bathroom facilities are cleaned by our housekeeping staff regularly.

Students Living in Seahawk Village, Seahawk Crossing, University Suite and Seahawk Landing are responsible for cleaning their own bathroom facilities.

Laundry rooms are located in each residence hall of traditional housing and in each apartment in Seahawk Landing, Seahawk Village and Seahawk Crossing. Laundry is completely free. Students must provide their own laundry detergent.

Need something fixed? File a maintenance request.

While renters insurance is not required, we highly recommend students have it. The university cannot be held accountable for loss, damage or theft to any student's personal property, all students are encouraged to carry their own insurance coverage. Your family's homeowner or tenant insurance may provide coverage, or you can arrange for personal property coverage.

Traditional residence hall rooms and Seahawk Crossing: Extra long twin sized sheets. Seahawk Village, Seahawk Landing, Terrapin Single Room and Loggerhead Single Room: XL Full sheets (53" x 80" x 6").

Students are allowed to keep a personal refrigerator and/or microwave in their room, with the following restrictions:

  • Refrigerators cannot be larger than 4.9 cubic feet.
  • Personal microwaves are permitted; however, they must be under 700 watts.

UNCW Housing & Residence Life has also partnered with Standards for Living to supply students with approved MicroFridge units. The MicroFridge is an appliance that features a refrigerator/freezer and microwave oven with a patented electrical management system. To find out how to rent a MicroFridge, go to Standards For Living.

There is a designated trash area / room in or near each residence area where students may properly dispose of trash and recyclable items.

More information regarding recycling

For more information on connecting your devices, please visit Information Technology Services (ITS) Support page.

  • One ethernet port per student in each room.
  • No cable is provided.
We invite you to bring any streaming devices as we no longer provide cable in the residence halls.
  • Why was I selected for an overflow housing assignment?

    Housing assignments are based on the application completion date, time, and preferences. Residents who applied later in the application period were more likely to be placed in overflow housing assignments.
  • Can my overflow assignment be changed before Move In?

    As space becomes available in non-overflow housing, HRL will work to reassign residents to these vacancies. Some of these changes may happen in July and August, prior to Move In. Reassigned residents will be contacted via email and phone with their new assignment and roommate information.
  • When will I move out of overflow housing after Move In?

    In the event a space becomes available, residents will be sent an offer via email to transition to their new assignment. We will also reach out via phone.
  • Am I required to move out of overflow housing once I move in?

    No. After Move In, as non-overflow space becomes available, residents will be offered the option to be reassigned to a new space. Residents choosing not to move will forfeit any future rebates associated with overflow housing.
  • What if I have a roommate preference?

    Residents who listed roommate preferences in their application have a greater likelihood of being placed together. However, due to space constraints we cannot always accommodate roommate requests.
  • What is the cost of an overflow space

    The initial charge for overflow spaces in BGH, Tri-House, and Schwartz is as follows:
    • Belk, Graham, Hewlett, Schwartz $3,920
    • Cornerstone, Keystone, and Innovation House $3,705
    • If a resident is not able to be reassigned prior to Move In and physically moves into an overflow space for the fall semester, they will be eligible for a monthly $150 rebate that will be applied directly to their student account on the 15th of each month (or closest business day after the 15th).
    • Residents will be eligible for the rebate if they have spent any time in overflow housing since Move In
      or the last rebate, without being offered a new space.
    • Residents who are offered a new assignment and decline to move will forfeit any future rebates.
    • Residents reassigned prior to Move In are not eligible for rebates

                   For assignments in Pelican or Sandpiper

                   Pelican or Sandpiper                       $3,618

  • If I am reassigned to a different space, what happens to my housing charge?

    • If you are reassigned prior to Move In, your housing charge will be updated to reflect the cost of your new room assignment
    • If you are reassigned after Move In, your room charge will be prorated to reflect the number of days you will spend in each campus space
  • How do I communicate my housing preferences in the event a space is available?

    Students will have access to a Wishlist which can be accessed via the housing portal. There, they can fill out the survey where preferences can be listed. Wishlist requests are fulfilled based on when the survey was submitted, nature of request, cancellations, and location.
  • What does overflow housing look like?

    • Our residence halls have select spaces reserved for overflow housing. The spaces vary in size and capacity.
    • What are the measurements of shared space?
      • Since the size of each space may vary, we are unable to provide exact room measurements prior to Move In day. Furniture sizes can be found on the Residence Hall pages under "measurements." Each space will have an XL twin beds, desks, chairs, dressers, and either closets or wardrobes.
  • How many residents will be sharing the space?

    Overflow rooms will house 3 or 4 residents depending on the size of the space.
  • Will Overflow spaces be secure?
All overflow spaces will have lockable doors, just like any other bedroom space on campus. Converted lounges will be re-cored and have new keys cut.
  • Will I have Wifi connectivity in overflow housing?
All overflow spaces are being surveyed by UNCW IT staff to ensure residents have access to the residential wifi network.
  • I don’t have a car. How will I move my belongings if I am reassigned after move-in?
HRL can assist by providing a truck/van and a driver to transport your belongings from one residence hall to another.

Other FAQs

Your mailing address is only used for directing mail to students on campus. This is the address you'll share with family and friends who want to send you mail, or when making online purchases. Each student will be assigned a post office box by the UNCW Post Office located in Fisher University Union. There is no direct mail delivery service to your residence hall/area.

You should leave a forwarding address with UNCW's postal service anytime you leave UNCW for more than one month. Your mail will be sent to the specified address during the requested time. If you fail to leave a forwarding address, your mail may be marked as returned to sender.

Please note that your physical address (building) and your mailing address will be different.

Your physical address on campus is used when you need to provide a record of your residence in Wilmington; for example, if registering to vote in New Hanover County, you will need to provide your physical address.

Find your physical address

The Hawk Wheels Bike Share Program is available for students to rent bikes.

The Seahawk Shuttle provides prompt and comfortable service for those who need to get around campus.
WAVE, Wilmington's transit service, is available to carry students from campus to different locations around Wilmington, such as the mall, downtown, Mayfaire Town Center, and many other locations. This service is free of charge with a valid UNCW ID.

A student can bring and register a bike for transportation purposes, and students can also use a skateboard, which is a popular means of getting around campus.

Storage during the summer is not available on campus; however, there are many off-campus options available. Consider finding a couple of friends to share a storage unit with during the summer.

Students with a documented disability who would like to request their Emotional Support Animal be with them in their on-campus residence must first complete the enrollment process with the DRC. 

Disability Resource Center

Agreement release is addressed in section 10 of the housing agreement. The section is as follows

10.1 Students may be released from their obligations for on-campus housing without responsibility for the second semester charges in the following cases:

A. complete withdrawal from the university

B. marriage (proof required)

C. transfer to another university or study abroad (proof required)

D. graduation

10.2 Requests to be released from the fall semester under one of the above conditions must be made in writing, with the above listed proof, to the Department of Housing and Residence Life by March 1 to avoid a $250 late cancellation charge.

10. 3 Requests to be released from the spring semester under one of the above conditions must be made in writing, with the above listed proof, to the Department of Housing and Residence Life by November 1 to avoid a $250 late cancellation charge.

10.4 Requests to be released for other reasons will be considered at UNCW’s complete discretion and must be made in writing to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. If granted, a fee will be assessed equal to one third (1/3) of a semester’s rent. For example, if one semester’s rent is equal to $2,967 , the student will be assessed a cancellation fee of $989 . If one semester’s rent is equal to $4,090 , the student will be assessed a cancellation fee of $1,363.

10.5 If the request is based upon one of the four exceptions listed in section 10.1 above, the cancellation fee of one third’s semester rent will not apply.

If you have an exception as stated above, please email

If you believe you have an exception that has not been addressed in this section, please visit the UNCW HRL Appeals and Concerns page.