Human Resources

Workers' Compensation

The purpose of the Workers' Compensation Act is to provide medical benefits, compensation for lost time from work and compensation for any permanent or permanent partial disability that results from a compensable job related injury.

UNCW is continuously striving to provide a safe and healthy work environment. When you practice safety on the job you are helping to maintain an accident free workplace. Any employee who suffers an injury by accident or contracts an occupational disease within the meaning of the Workers' Compensation Act may apply for benefits provided by the Act. The State has a self-insured program that is managed by a third-party administrator, CorVel Corporation.

Please become familiar with the information outlined below. Your recovery is a major concern to the university. If you have questions about your claim, contact the university's Workers' Compensation Administrator in Human Resources (Kelly Kennedy 910-962-3006), your adjuster at CCMSI (980-296-2726), or the North Carolina Industrial Commission at 430 N. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC 27611.

Employees' Responsibilities in the Event of a Job-related Accident or Illness

  • Report all injuries and illnesses immediately to your supervisor. HR will arrange medical treatment with an approved medical provider.  Your supervisor will notify notify Safety and Human Resources, and complete appropriate reports.
  • Seek appropriate medical attention from the university's approved medical providers as listed below.

    Life-threatening emergency:
    Call University Police at 911 or Go to the nearest medical facility.


    Serious Injury:
    New Hanover Regional Medical Center 910-667-7000

    All others:
    Corporate Medac 

  • 4402 Shipyard Blvd - Long Leaf Mall
    8 AM - 8 PM 7 days a week 910-452-7000


Corporate Medac is staffed by physicians trained in emergency and family medicine
and is the appropriate place of treatment for most non-life threatening situations including lacerations requiring sutures, strains, sprains, possible fractures, and insect stings.

  • Employees are expected to return to work on the day of the injury unless the approved treating physician prohibits return to work. UNCW's Transitional Work Program provides injured employees with alternative work assignments within their usual work unit or, if necessary, elsewhere on campus. Sick leave may only be used if return to work is prohibited. Refer to "Use of Leave and Payment for Time Away From Work" below.
  • Follow all medical instructions and restrictions.
  • The "Return to Work" form provided by Medac should be given to your supervisor to review.
  • Complete the Employee's Statement for Work-Related Accidents and give to your supervisor.
  • Adhere to work duties assigned to you as part of the university's Transitional Work Program.
  • Follow safe work practices!

Supervisors' Responsibilities in the Event of a Job-Related Injury or Illness

  • Ensure that the injured employee receives immediate and appropriate medical attention and is directed to approved medical providers as listed above.

  • Report the injury immediately to Human Resources (962-3006) and Safety (962-3057).

  • Complete Supervisor's Accident Report and forward to Human Resources and Safety within 24 hours.

  • Correct unsafe conditions immediately and assist in the accident investigation to determine the cause of the accident.

  • Review the Return to Work form given to employee by physician. Employees are expected to return to work on the day of the injury unless the approved treating physician provides a written authorization prohibiting return to work.

  • Follow the physician's instructions for work restrictions; assign alternate work duties if appropriate; contact Human Resources with questions about the Transitional Work Program

  • Communicate with injured employees to ensure their needs are met.

  • Encourage safe work practices!

Determination of Workers' Compensation Liability

Determination of Workers' Compensation benefits will be made by the adjuster at CCMSI, the state's third-party administrator for Workers' Compensation.

Payment of Medical Expenses

All reasonable medical, surgical, hospital, nursing, sick travel, medicines, and rehabilitative services that are prescribed by the approved medical provider and authorized by the third-party administrator will be covered by Workers' Compensation for compensable injuries. Only the approved physician should prescribe treatment and medication for the job related injury. Payments for medical expenses are processed and mailed by CCMSI.

Use of Leave and Payment for Time Away from Work

  • The employee's salary is continued on the day of the injury. If the approved treating physician restricts the employee from all work, the employee must go on Workers' Compensation leave and must elect to use accumulated sick or vacation leave, compensatory leave, or leave without pay for the first 7 days.

  • After the 7-day waiting period, if the approved treating physician continues to prohibit return to work, the employee receives 66-2/3% of average annual earnings up to a maximum benefit established by the North Carolina Industrial Commission. If lost time continues more than 21 days, the 7-day waiting period is reimbursed.

  • Employees who require additional approved medical visits authorized by the third-party administrator are not charged leave for reasonable time away from work for these appointments. Employees should try to schedule treatments at a time most convenient for their work unit.

Continuation of Benefits During Workers' Compensation Leave

For employees receiving a Worker's Compensation wage, benefits are affected as follows:


Medical Insurance UNCW continues to pay the employer portion
Vacation & Sick Leave Employees continue to earn leave
(SHRA Only)
Longevity payments begin following 10 years of service
State Retirement Employees do not receive retirement service credit while on Workers' Compensation leave. However, members of the State Retirement System may purchase service credits within 12 months after returning to work
Optional Benefits Employees may continue optional benefit programs by sending the monthly premium to the Payroll Department



08.450 UNCW Workers' Compensation Policy
NC Office of State Human Resrouces - State Government Workers' Compensation Program
UNCW Office of Environmental Health & Safety

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is general in nature. Applicable laws and regulations are complex and subject to change. Information on this website cannot alter, modify, or otherwise change the controlling documents of any plan. For legal and tax advice employees should consult an attorney or tax adviser.