Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer
Students riding ebike and escooter

Public Health, B.S. Details

Explore More

  • Students can declare Public Health as a major after completion of 24 credit hours and a 2.5 or higher GPA entry into the program for these concentrations: Community Health Education, Global Health and Gerontology. Students declaring the Pre-Clinical concentration need a 3.0 or higher GPA.
  • Public Health students must choose from one of four concentration options: Community Health Education, Global Health, Gerontology, or Pre-Clinical.
  • All students in the program must complete all core courses and at least one concentration. A grade of C- or above must be achieved in each of the Public Health core and concentration courses.
  • A 2.5 overall GPA is required to register for PBH 496 and PBH 497, and to graduate from the program.

Watch an Information Session (Spring 2024)

You must select one of four concentrations.

You may choose additional concentrations if you wish.

Community Health Education Prepares students to assess, plan, implement and evaluate programs that are designed to enhance individual and community health and well-being. Students are eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam offered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC).

Learn more

Pre-Clinical Health Prepares students with a strong science background for continuing study in medicine, dentistry, physical assistant, nutrition, nursing, etc.

Explore more

Global Health Prepares students for careers working in developing low and middle income countries to improve health and quality of life. Students are eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam offered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC).

Learn More

Gerontology Prepares students for public health careers working with an older adult population. If eligible, students may also apply for the 4+1 Public Health, B.S. & Applied Gerontology, M.S. program.

Explore more

GPA & Grade Letter Requirements

  • Must have a C- or better in all PBH core and concentration courses
  • 2.5 GPA requirement to start PBH 496/497
  • 2.5 GPA to graduate from the program

Additional Information


Need Help Selecting a PBH Concentration?

Schedule an appointment with a Student Success advisor.

Meeting with Your Advisor

Each advisor has a different schedule for advising. However, know that you will meet with your advisor – or at least have the opportunity to schedule an appointment – before registration begins. Please consult with your advisor on when they will begin advising and be reminded, this will likely differ across faculty members.

The combined Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health and Master of Science degree in Applied Gerontology program offers an accelerated path toward a Master of Science degree that prepares graduates to work in healthcare and community-based settings serving older adults. Graduates from this program are also trained to work with communities and individuals to protect, maintain and enhance health and quality of life.


Eta Sigma Gamma

Eta Sigma Gamma is a health education honor society. Its mission is to promote the Health Education discipline by elevating the standards, ideals, competence and ethics of students enrolled in professional preparation programs that subscribe to and align with the national Health Education Competencies.

UNC Wilmington's Eta Sigma Gamma’s Epsilon Nu chapter is a great way to network with other public health majors and discover how this field is applied by engaging in various service opportunities on and off campus. Email Dr. Strayhorn-Carter for more information:

Watch: Eta Sigma Gamma Information Session

Pre-Health Programs

Pre-Health Programs offer programming and individualized support to UNCW students and alumni pursuing medical and allied health graduate programs. Current students: Pre-Health coaching resources are available here.


Professional Resources

UNCW degree programs satisfy the professional licensure and/or certification requirements in North Carolina and prepare students to sit for applicable exams. However, requirements in other states may be different. If you are considering a degree program that in order to qualify for a professional license and/or certification, please note that at this time UNCW may or may not be able to advise whether the program meets requirements outside of North Carolina. Prior to enrolling, please discuss this important topic with your program of interest.

Students in the Community Health Education and Global Health concentrations are eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam during their last semester of the program or upon completion. This is a national certification, recognizing that one has the requisite entry level health education skills and knowledge.

The Public Health Podcast: A Conversation Series

This podcast follows the Coffee and Career Chat conversations with Dr. Sabrina T. Cherry, associate professor of public health at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, and various public health professionals nationwide.

Frequently Asked Questions

Students can declare public health as a major, select a concentration, change their concentration or update their catalogue year through mySeaport. All requests are sent to the public health program coordinator for approval.

Students pursuing the B.S. in PBH are required to take Anatomy and Physiology I and II (BIO & BIOL 240/241 OR EXS & EXSL 216/217, depending on concentration). It is recommended that students take those courses as part of their University Studies requirements, but it is not required that you complete those courses before declaring your PBH major.

All concentrations

  • Take PBH 299 as early as possible, then PBH 359, then PBH 452. Each of these is a pre-requisite for the next listed class.

Community Health Education concentration

  • Take PBH 234 as early as possible, then PBH 300, then PBH 315. Each of these is a pre-requisite for the next listed class.

Which anatomy and physiology class do I need?

  • EXS 216 / 217 + labs
    • Community Health Education
    • Global Health
    • Gerontology
  • BIO 240 / 241 + labs
    • Pre-Clinical

You can declare your major by emailing the Public Health Program Coordinatorr after completing 24 credit hours. Additionally, you must have a minimum of a 2.5 overall GPA to declare the Community Health Education, Global Health, or Gerontology concentration OR a 3.0 overall GPA to declare the Pre-Clinical concentration.


  • Math & Statistics: PBH 299
  • Information Literacy: PBH 320 + PBH 359 + PBH 452
  • Living in a Global Society: PBH 320
  • Writing Intensive: PBH 359 + PBH 452
  • Critical Reasoning: PBH 400
  • Exploration Beyond the Classroom: PBH 497
  • Applied Learning: PBH 497
  • Yes, if you are in catalog year 2022-2023 or earlier.
  • No, if you are in the catalog year 2023-2024 or later.
  • Changing the catalog year can differ based on the individual, please discuss with your advisor.
The BEST place is to review your degree audit.
Visit University College's Declaring Your Major page and follow the outlined steps. 
The substitution form can be accessed here. Please discuss potential course substitutions with faculty advisor before submitting the form.
  • Log on to mySeaport, access the student tab, then click “academics” and then click “submit or check on a transient study application." Complete the necessary information. Make sure to obtain the appropriate signatures for the form as well.
  • Form can also be accessed here.

When should I take PBH 495?

  • You should take PBH 495 (pre-internship-3 credits) semester prior to PBH 496 and PBH 497 if you are in the catalog year of 2023-2024. This course will not be offered over the summer. You will need instructor approval prior to enrolling in this course.

What courses am I able to take while enrolled in PBH 496/497?

  • Student must complete all PBH core and concentration requirements prior to enrolling in PBH 496 and 497.

What is the difference between PBH 496 AND PBH 497?

  • PBH 496: Capstone is designed to integrate and synthesize the materials from all public health courses while also preparing students for their final capstone project.
  • PBH 497: Internship is an opportunity in which public health students are placed within various sites throughout the community to practically apply their knowledge through supervised training in the field.
    • Where do I get more information about capstone and internship?

There are currently no UNCW scholarships that are limited to just PBH students. There are many university-wide scholarships that you may qualify for, as well as some external scholarships for students pursuing degrees in Public Health which you could pursue.

Yes. Some PBH classes are generally offered in both Summer I and Summer II sessions, although they are not guaranteed.

There is a required sequence to some extent in PBH. However, most of the core public health classes do not have pre-requisites other than being a declared Public Health major. The concentration specific courses are often sequenced. Please refer to the recommended sequencing documents (by concentration) for more information about course pre-requisites and co-requisites. Once you declare the PBH major you will be assigned an advisor who will review your audit and assist you in developing an individual curriculum plan.

The majority of core and concentration PBH-prefix courses are offered fully face-to-face. Some non PBH prefix courses are offered online.

Public Health faculty can only account for courses that we teach. For example, we can’t ensure you’ll be able to get into a chemistry course. Once your advisor begins advising, ensure that you make and attend your appointment. If a PBH course is required before completing your registration ticket and you intend to graduate this semester, make sure you discuss this with your advisor as well.


If you decide to drop a class or alter your course schedule after an advising appointment, please know that you will be responsible for any impact this has on progressing through PBH courses and/or graduating, including being listed on the graduation program.

Students may substitute suitable coursework from other institutions for classes required for the major or replace required coursework with alternative classes from UNCW. All such substitutions and replacements must be made by petition and approved by a majority of PBH faculty members. The following procedures apply:

  1. The student presents the proposed substitution/replacement to their faculty advisor. This must include a syllabus of the proposed substitution/replacement course and a rationale as to why the student feels this substitution/replacement is appropriate.
  2. The advisor contacts the Program Coordinator and requests that the petition be placed on the agenda of the next Public Health program faculty meeting. The Program Coordinator will send the proposal to the faculty member teaching the course in question for input.
  3. The faculty review the proposal and vote on the petition. A simple majority is required to approve a substitution/replacement.
  4. The student is notified in writing by the program coordinator as to the outcome of the faculty review and vote.
  5. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, this same substitution/replacement would be available to all PBH students henceforth.
  6. Courses may be approved for substitution, but the substitution will not take place until required artifacts are completed and approved. Required artifacts must be submitted and approved by the instructor of the course and then uploaded to the electronic portfolio before the end of the next full semester.

Visit the Registrar's Applying to Graduate webpage and follow the outlined steps.

The demand for public health professionals continues to rise in response to global concerns such as bioterrorism, potential pandemics, HIV and AIDS, and air and water quality issues. Additionally, rising insurance costs and increased awareness of public health and wellness have generated corporate and government support for prevention and education programs in areas such as diet, diabetes, obesity, tobacco use and workplace safety, among others. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of health educators is expected to grow by 12 percent from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations. Growth will be driven by efforts to reduce healthcare costs by teaching people about healthy habits and behaviors.



Michelle Cathorall, Dr.PH., MPH | Program Coordinator & Associate Professor

For a copy of the self-study report or the CEPH decision letter, please get in touch with the program coordinator.

For questions regarding admissions, advising, transfers and program of study, please contact the CHHS Student Success Center at (910) 962-3208 or