Skip to header Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Student Support Resources

Joyful students enjoying our campus beauty


edTPA is a performance-based assessment that you will complete before graduation and is a requirement for your NC Teaching Licensure. Watson College of Education offers edTPA support that provides you with materials and various supports to help you with your edTPA submission.

Support Types

Our office is here to assist you with your application for a North Carolina teaching license. At the completion of your program, we provide instructions for applying for your initial license as well as adding or upgrading your current license.

Effective fall 2015, NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has moved to a fully online licensure application system. My office will provide you with detailed instructions for the online process including instructions for having your application routed to UNCW for approval. Once my office electronically receives a completed application, we will then verify completion of your program and licensure requirements and submit it to DPI. Once the application has been electronically submitted, you will be able to view the status of your application by logging in to your account. Once DPI has issued your new license, you will be able to open and print your license from the online account.

Required Licensure Exams Reference Guide

NCEL test information: (required for SED-GC and Elementary Ed only) 


Required state licensure exams for Elementary and Special Education general candidates*:

  • Foundations of Reading - SA 090 OR SA 190
  • General Curriculum - Math SA 203 OR Praxis II CKT Math Subtest - 7813

Praxis II test code information:

The Watson College of Education will retain your Praxis scores for 10 years from the score reporting date.  After 10 years, your scores will no longer be available.  When you take a test through Educational Testing Services (ETS), you will receive an email when your scores have posted.  We recommend saving a copy of your score report for future reference.

 *Please note: NC DPI policy states that, effective, July 1, 2016, candidates may be recommended for licensure prior to passing these exams.  Candidates must attempt the exams in their first year of teaching and pass the exams before or during their second year of teaching.  The Watson College of Education strongly recommends that our candidates pass all required exams prior to applying for initial licensure.

Watson College of Education Licensure Contact:

Ms. Logan McKnight
Internship and Licensure Coordinator

Student Travel and Teaching Awards

Purpose: The purpose of the awards is to assist students with travel to professional conferences and events related to professional experiences. Students may also apply for funds to assist expenses incurred during field experiences/internship.

Award Amounts & Stipulations:  Individuals must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in any of the programs in the Department of EEMLS. Students are eligible for one award per year and must submit all of the required documents for consideration. The number of awards may vary per year based upon the availability of funds. 

  • Conference Travel: Students may apply for up to $300 to attend a professional conference in a field related to the major.  Students who are presenting at a professional conference may apply for up to $500.  In addition to the application form, students must include transcripts, itemized travel budget, and 200 - 250 word essay explaining how attendance will benefit the student in the field of study.  Students must also agree to complete a 1 – 2 page typed and/or video reflection to be published on the department website upon return from the professional conference in order to benefit other students from the experience.
  • Study Abroad: Students may apply for up to $800 to participate in a WCE sponsored
    study abroad program. In addition to the application form, students must include
    transcripts, professional recommendation, and 200 – 250 word essay explaining reasons
    for studying abroad in your development towards global citizenship. Students must also
    agree to complete a 1 – 2 page reflection to be published on the department website upon
    return from the professional conference.
  • Licensure Exam Fees: Students may apply for funds to cover the fees associated with
    Praxis II/NCEL exams required for teaching licensure. In addition to the application
    form, students must include transcripts, documentation of Free Application for Federal
    Study Aid (FAFSA), the receipt of payment for the exam, and exam scores upon receipt.
  • Teaching Supplies: Students may apply for up to $250 for materials needed for working with classroom students in a field experience or internship.  In addition to the application form, students must include a lesson plan and/or learning objectives, 200-250 word essay explaining how the materials will be used, and itemized receipts.  Students will complete a written and/or video reflection on the results to be shared on the department website. All reimbursements are subject to department approval. 
  • Applicants must obtain all travel forms from the EEMLS department and retain all receipts.  Travel requests must be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel.  Materials requests must be submitted at least 7 days prior to purchase. 

Application Procedures:

  1. Complete the appropriate application page.
  2. Submit all required documentation and attach to the application.
  3. You will receive an email with the award amount and further instructions to follow to obtain funds. 
  4. Upon return from travel, submit all required receipts. 
  5. Complete reflection documents.   

Explore health & wellness support resources for students.


Campus Life

Environmental Safety & Health

University Police (non-emergency)

Student Health Center
List of services

Disability Resouces Center
available resources

Health Education

Financial Aid Office

Parking and Transportation

One Card

UNCW Bookstore

Career Center/ Resume Services

Passport Services

University Learning Center

University Registrar


CARE-Collaboration for Assault Response & Education

Counseling Center

Student Rec Center
Personal Coaching