University College Advising Toolbox

Academic Standing


Expand All Sections Collapse All Sections

  • Academic Advisor Change Request Form


    Advising is a partnership between the student and the advisor.  In this relationship there are a variety of reasons that a student might want to request a different advisor.

    Some examples include:

    • A different advising/personal style might be preferred
    • A student may be unwilling to hear a challenging message and needs to hear it from someone else
    • Expectations or assumptions on either part are interfering with optimal advising
    • A student wants more immediate responses from their advisor
    • The perception that another advisor has the student’s desired particular area of expertise
    • They might want their room-mate’s advisor

    Advising Tips

    • Student’s requests are honored in that they will receive a new advisor. However, they may not get a specific advisor requested as that decision is based on advisor load and at times a student’s major.
    • Students can request the form at the front desk, or an advisor can retrieve the form to help a student fill it out if necessary. Students should return the sheet to University College and the form will be processed. Students will be emailed of any changes of advisor as soon as the form is approved. The amount of time required for approval depends on the Coordinator and their approval of the change.
    • Coordinators will communicate any changes to advisors and if an advisee changes, then the former advisor should not email them. If a student changes advisors and an advisor needs more information, they should contact their Coordinator.

    Advisor Request Form

  • Academic Success Agreement
    • The Academic Success Agreement is a tool designed for students on academic probation. It is based on the negotiation of a contract between the student and the advisor providing for specific course selections, required follow-up meetings, assistance from other academic support offices, or other appropriate actions. It is a requirement for all students on Probation and Contract.
    • Advisors and students should complete this agreement within the first week of class.

    Academic Success Agreements

  • Blank Pre-Reg Form

    Blank Pre-Reg Form

     *To use this form. Download the .pdf file and use Acrobat DC.

  • Copy Request Form

    Copy request (from UNI Instructors and UC staff) must be complete and submitted through the copy request form.   This form allows the front office staff to better assist UNI instructors, as well as UC professional and faculty advisors with all copy related needs.  Once the form is submitted the front office staff will follow-up with each request.  The link to the form is listed below.

    Copy Request Form

  • FERPA Form

    FERPA Overview

    Policy information primarily from the UNCW General Counsel website on FERPA and the Registrar’s page on FERPA FAQ’s:

    General Counsel:


    “The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) governs student education records. Under FERPA, a student may inspect his or her education records. FERPA also provides that a student's personally identifiable information may not be released to someone else unless (1) the student has given a proper consent for disclosure or (2) provisions of FERPA or federal regulations issued pursuant to FERPA permit the information to be released without the student's consent. For more information, see the U.S. Department of Education FERPA website.”

    • At UNCW, a student falls under FERPA guidelines, at the point of registration. For new students, this is usually at the completion of their orientation.
    • “Education Records” in the broadest sense, are records maintained by the institution from which a student can be personally identified. As a result, almost all of the information that UNCW maintains on student is considered a part of the education record, regardless of the format in which the information is kept. Directory information can be disclosed, as it would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. See UNCW’s Directory information list
    • “Legitimate Educational Interest” A University official has a  “legitimate educational interest” if the official is:
      • performing a task that is specified in his or her position description or by a contract agreement
      • performing a task related to a student's education
      • performing a task related to the discipline of a student
      • providing a service or benefit relating to the student or student's family, such as advising, job placement, financial aid or housing assistance
      • maintaining the safety and security of the campus
    • Parents or Legal Guardian access to records.
      • Parents and legal guardians do not automatically have access to their student’s records. Access may be granted in one of two ways:
        • The student can grant parent or guardian access to view their student information on SeaNet by assigning them as a proxy. The student has the control on what the parent or guardian has access to including course registration, viewing grades, and so on. For steps to setup a proxy please visit
        • Students can sign a FERPA form available from different departments across campus.
        • Balancing Student Privacy and School Safety
          • In an emergency, FERPA permits school official to disclose, without student consent, education records including personally identifiable information from those records to protect the health or safety of students or other individuals.

    Advising Tips

      • Note that many UNCW departments have their own FERPA forms that cover their specific areas; these include the Registrar’s office, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Dean of Student’s Office and different Advising Offices.
      • An incorrect assumption is often made that there is a “blanket” FERPA meaning that once one is signed it covers all departments and offices across campus. Parents and students are informed of FERPA regulations during orientation.
      • Students can drop forms off in University College in Hoggard Hall.

    FERPA Form

  • Intervention Forms (Re-Enrollment & Self-Assessment)


    • This website outlines the process for re-enrolling including how to access the Re-Enrollment Application.
    • Students may email advisors about these instructions at any point during the semester. The deadlines listed on the website and the semester a student wants to return drive when students must submit forms.
    • Students are responsible for filling out these forms, not advisors.

    Admissions Re-Enrollment Page

    Academic Plan

    Self-Assessment & Time Management

    • An optional assignment for students on probation or contract to get students to think about how to improve in their next semester at UNCW.
    • Advisors can assign this form as homework before meeting for the Academic Success Agreement in the first week of class or advisors and the student can fill out this form together in their Academic Success Agreement meeting.

    Self-Assessment for Intervention

     Time Management Worksheet

  • Late Add/Drop Form & Late Withdrawal

    UNCW Catalogue Policy

    Late registration and drop/add occur during the first week of each academic term. The dates are limited to those announced in the university calendar and as announced by the Office of the Registrar. During this period, late registration, drop/add and audit-only students are processed.

    University Catalogue: Late Add/Drop & Late Withdrawal

    Advising Tips

    Students should be aware that there are risks involved when adding a course after classes have begun. Just because it is possible to add a course does not mean that doing so is a good idea. Students are responsible for any work missed in the course prior to their enrollment. If one or more class meetings have been held, students are strongly advised to speak with the course instructor prior to adding, to determine whether adding is appropriate. When students add a course at the end of the drop/add period, there may be little or no opportunity to drop the course if it proves to be a poor fit for the student’s needs.

    • Dropping after the deadline can count as a withdrawal or withdraw fail depending on the time of the semester.
    • Rule of thumb for late adds includes the idea that the student has been attending the class the entire time. Reasons for late adds could include a student attending a class, but forgetting to register for the course or special permission from an instructor, certain financial aid circumstances,
    • Director of University College requires an email from the instructor to confirm attendance and grants permission for adding the course.
    • Late Add/Drop requires a special reason and advisors/students must fill out a form available at the front desk of University College.

    Late Add/Drop Form

  • Permission Over 18 Credit Hours Form

    UNCW Catalogue Policy

    Registration occurs immediately prior to each term and is limited to the time period specified in the university calendar and other days as announced by the Office of the Registrar. This process is for students who did not pre-register or are new to the university. Classes may not be added after the last day of registration and add/drop. Degree students may take up to 18 hours without special permission. Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher may be allowed, with special permission of the appropriate dean, to carry up to 21 semester hours.

    University Catalogue: Registration

    Advising Tips

    • Students must contact their academic advisor for permission and a form is required that must be signed by the Director of University College.
    • Students should complete the form below and bring it back to the front office of University College, which will be given to the Director of University College. The form will be approved or rejected by the Director of University College in a timely manner and students will be contacted by the Director or their advisor upon a decision.
    • Students need to have a legitimate reason to take over 18 hours, not because they believe they can handle the courses or want to get ahead. Examples include being high ability (3.8 GPA or higher), double majoring, course availability, or having a graduation deadline. Usually the reason involves a combination of the previously mentioned reasons.

    Permission Over 18 Credit Hours Form

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Form

    This form is to be completed by the student to appeal the suspension of Financial Aid. This form is to be turned in the Offices of Scholarship & Financial Aid in Warwick Center, not University College.

    SAP Form

  • Substitution & Waiver Form

    Students often come in with courses that do not transfer as exact equivalents to UNCW courses and receive elective credit (i.e. ELEC 001 or PED 001). These will show under “Electives” at the bottom of the degree audit. If a student has taken a course similar to the content of a UNCW course but was designated as elective credit, a Course Substitution request can be done via SeaPort. Advisors initiate this form and process, which includes a rationale and ideally a course description from the college’s catalogue as support. The student should take the lead in getting supporting documentation and catalogue information.

    A request for a Waiver of credit towards University Studies or a major requirement is less likely. One instance where this may occur is if a student transfers in credit for ENG 201 but has not taken ENG 100/101 (required at UNCW). The student will not need to back-track and take the 100/101 courses at UNCW, so a course waiver could be submitted for ENG 100/101. The student will still have to meet the 124 hours for graduation but will not have to complete this particular course.

    If the Sub/Waiver request is for the Living in a Diverse Nation or Living in Global Society or Capstone course, the Sub/Waiver form should be printed and sent via campus mail directly to the department chair of the course department for approval.

    Substitution & Waiver Form

    If a student has taken the course equivalent to something listed in Writing Intensive or Information Literacy or Quantitative and Logical Reasoning, but it was not equivalent to competency credit, the advisor (with student’s work) can submit a hard-copy Petition form to the Director of University Studies for review. The course must meet the methods/outcomes of WI/IL/QLR.

    Competency Checklist

    The student will have to provide supporting documentation of the methods/outcomes ideally by providing a syllabus or perhaps assignment details.

    Competency Petition

    University College advisors can direct students to work with their departmental advisors once they declare regarding major requests, particularly for Capstones, 300-400 level, etc.

    • Swap of Credit – Even though students are limited to number of credits of transfer (64 2-year institution, 93 4-year institution), all courses will be listed on the UNCW transcript (if college credit courses with C or higher). Sometimes students are not given credit (already met limit) for a course that is needed towards their major or University Studies credit. In these cases, advisors/students can contact the Registrar’s Office and request a “swap of credit.” For instance, a student may come in with 3 credit hours for COM 101 and 0 credits for ECN 221. The hours can be used for ECN 221 (for a Business major, for instance) instead of for COM 101, which would be an elective.


  • Student Not Registered Survey
  • Title IX Electronic & Paper Form

    Gender-based/sexual misconduct are forms of sexual harassment prohibited by Title IX, 20 USC §168(a). The University’s Title IX Coordinator is designated to assure these policies and procedures are properly followed. The Director of Title IX Coordinator is:

    Ms. Amber Resetar, Esq.
    Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance
    CB 5942 DePaolo Hall Rm 1040


    The Student Gender-Based/Sexual Misconduct Policy revised 7.22.2019

    Looking for information or want to report other types of harassment? Visit the Harassment Prevention & Response resource page.

    UNCW Catalogue Policy:

    UNCW Catalogue Policy

    Student Policies (Title IX Website)

    In accordance with new federal Title IX guidance and to maintain compliance with the Clery Act and North Carolina law, UNCW has revised its previous Sexual Assault Policy to create our new Student-Gender-Based Sexual Misconduct Policy.  Allegations of gender-based or sexual misconduct by faculty or staff are addressed by the University’s Harassment Prevention Policy and Harassment Resolution Procedures.

    Dean of Students Webpage 

    The Student Gender-Based/Sexual Misconduct Policy addresses:

    • Sexual Misconduct (attempted or completed)
    • Non-Consensual Sexual Intercourse
    • Non-Consensual Sexual Contact
    • Sexual Exploitation
    • Dating Violence
    • Domestic Violence
    • Stalking
    • Sexual Harassment
    • Hostile Environment
    • Quid Pro Quo Harassment
    • Other Civil Rights Offenses, When the Act is Based on Gender/Sex

    This policy addresses situations in which both the complaining and responding parties are UNCW students.

    Faculty or Staff Concerns (Title IX Website)

    Allegations of gender-based or sexual misconduct by faculty or staff are addressed by the University’s Harassment Prevention Policy and Harassment Resolution Procedures

    The UNCW policies website is an index and repository for all official university UNCW policies.


    Reporting Student Gender-Based/Sexual Misconduct (Title IX Website)

    Reporting Information for Faculty

    What do I need to do?

    The university recognizes the importance of faculty and staff relationships with students. If a student discloses a violence-related concern to you, it is important that the information disclosed not be kept confidential. New federal guidelines from the Office of Civil Rights about sexual harassment and misconduct have significantly changed the obligations of UNCW employees when they receive a disclosure about sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, stalking or gender-based/sexual harassment.

    Three departments remain confidential resources to students: CARE: Interpersonal Violence Prevention & Response, the Counseling Center, and the Abrons Student Health Center and are exempted from reporting gender-based/sexual misconduct unless the student is willing.


    How to submit a report

    All University employees who receive a report of alleged gender-based/sexual misconduct by a student, on or off-campus, must notify Ms. Amber Resetar, Esq., Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance. In addition, all University employees are required by North Carolina law to report abuse or neglect upon a child or any disabled person.

    Faculty or staff receiving reports of gender-based/sexual misconduct must complete the online Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form.

    This form is located within "My Seaport" under the Academics Tab. If you do not have access to My Seaport, you can use the paper form.

    The reporting form must be completed within 1 business day. If using a paper form, deliver to Ms. Amber Resetar, Esq., Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance, via hand delivery (DePaolo Hall Room 1040), email attachment (, or fax (910-962-7556).

    Inform the student that they will receive direct contact from the Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance or designee with information about rights and resources.

    Three departments remain confidential resources to students: CARE: Interpersonal Violence Prevention & Response, the Counseling Center, and the Abrons Student Health Center. These departments are exempted from reporting gender-based/sexual misconduct unless the student is willing.

    Each student who reports sexual misconduct must be informed of their Title IX rights. An effective way to do so is to provide the student with a copy of:

    Additional resources can include:

    You may choose to seek further assistance by contacting the UNCW CARE (Collaboration for Assault Response & Education) office at 910-962-CARE or the CARE responder at 910-512-4821. A CARE Victim Advocate is available to consult with you and the student by phone or in person and available to help you individually with the process. 

    It is not your responsibility to determine whether an assault actually occurred or to confront alleged perpetrators. Always refer students who report possible sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking to the CARE office and/or the UNCW Police for additional information and support.



    • Do provide information about how to connect with CARE by calling 910-962-CARE. The CARE responder may also be contacted 24/7@910-512-4821.
    • Do help the student to contact UNCW Police if they desire to do so @910-962-2222 or 911(EMR.)
    • Do explain your obligations as a university employee and what information you are required to report.
    • Do get information and support for yourself as a helper (especially if the student does not want to talk to anyone else) by calling 910-962-CARE.



    • Don’t ask for details. Good intentions may be experienced as intrusion.
    • Don’t tell students what they “should” or “must” do.
    • Don’t make statements or ask questions that unintentionally imply victim-blaming (“How much were you drinking?”)
    • Don’t make judgments about the student’s reactions or behaviors. It is normal for people to respond to a traumatic experience in a wide variety of ways. 

    Remember that the sooner you refer a student to CARE or other campus resources, the more effective and easier the referral process will be.


    Reporting Harassment

    Sexual Harassment

    When sexual harassment is alleged, all administrators and supervisors are required to report. Likewise, it is not your responsibility to determine if harassment has occurred. Rather, the reporting is required to ensure that a prompt investigation is undertaken. If the alleged harasser is an employee, this must be reported to the Human Resources office. Cases in which a faculty or staff member is notified of possible sexual harassment by a student require a report to the Office of the Dean of Students.

    Harassment, including sexual harassment, is addressed through UNCW's Harassment Prevention Policy and Harassment Resolution Procedures.

    Looking for more information or want to report other types of harassment? Visit the Harassment Prevention & Response resource page.

    For more information regarding required notification or reporting of harassment contact the Office of the Dean of Students or Human Resources.

    Reporting Information for Students
     – Frequently Asked Questions

    Training & Education for Faculty, Staff and Students

    Risk Reduction (Personal Safety The Red Zone  RAD Self-Defense)

    Get Help (Yourself Friend Student UNCW Employee)



    • Remember to affirm the student’s feelings and overall situation.
    • Remember to attempt to empower the student by giving him/her their options
    • Remember never to promise confidentiality but rather privacy (only those who need to know will know for the sake of supporting, advocating and helping the student)
    • Remember to refrain from attempting to touch or hug the student unless they request and/or give you permission to physically touch them. (Students who have been physically violated may not want to be touched at all).
    • Remember to pay close attention to your body language and overall proximity to the student
    • Remember to encourage the student to utilize his/her resources (e.g. CARE, Health Center, Counseling, Dean of Students, and Campus Police).  If necessary please remember to support and advocate the student by walking with him/her to the office and making a personal connection.
    • Remember to take copious notes and share the scenario with your supervisor(s) / UC Director
    • Remember to complete the Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form and/or Paper Form
    • Remember to deliver the report to the Title IX Coordinator within 1 business day and follow the entire reporting protocol
    • Remember to follow-up with the student within a couple of days to show care / concern
    • Remember to notify your supervisor(s) and/or UC Director of any updates or changes to the student’s situation

    Title IX Form (Located in MySeaPort)

  • Transient Study Form
    • Withdrawal for Extenuating Circumstances

      UNCW Catalogue Policy

      Should extenuating circumstances warrant, the grade of “WF” assigned for course withdrawals after the withdrawal deadline may be changed to a ‘“W.” Documented extenuating circumstances may include: death of an immediate family member; traumatic and unforeseen circumstances that are considered beyond a student’s control; serious emotional instability, physical injury or illness that has resulted in the student’s inability to complete academic responsibilities in a given term. Students should note that poor standing in a course does not constitute an extenuating circumstance in and of itself. Withdrawals due to extenuation circumstances are still subject to all financial aid and SAP rules and calculations.

      It is the student’s responsibility to initiate an appeal for this change by submitting a written request and supporting written documentation. The student must initiate the appeal with the associate dean who oversees the student’s major or University College director, as appropriate. The respective associate dean or University College director may approve or deny this request for a “W.” In cases where the request is denied, the student may submit, within ten regular class days of the dated decision, a written request for consideration with supporting documentation to the Committee on Withdrawal Appeals. Grounds for appeals are limited to substantive new evidence or material procedural irregularity. All decisions made by the Committee on Withdrawal Appeals are final. The written request with supporting documentation must be made as soon as possible after circumstances requiring the withdrawal. At the latest, by the last day of classes in the semester following the one for which the withdrawal is requested. A grade of “WF” that is not appealed successfully remains a permanent part of the student’s academic record.

      UC Process

      Student will need to do the following:
      1. Complete the form in its entirety
      2. Provide a written summary that explains extenuating circumstances
      3. Provide any documentation that supports the extenuating circumstances (i.e. medical provider statement, CARE, Crossroads, Police Report, Obituaries, etc.)
      The advisor should work closely with the student to explain the process for extenuating circumstances to include the following: what constitutes an extenuating circumstance, what information needs to be provided to the Director in order to review a petition. The advisor should also send an email to the Director of UC providing their input and any additional details they wish to provide.Once a decision is made the student is emailed the decision and the academic advisor is copied on the correspondence. The correspondence includes the decision and the ramifications of the decision. The student is encouraged to work with their academic advisor should they need additional academic support. 

      Advising Tips

      • The withdrawal will always show up on the student’s transcript as a “W”, regardless of whether or not it was for extenuating circumstances. To view actual withdrawal credit total check in the Advisor menu of SeaNet under the Fostering Undergraduate Student Success link. See examples below.
      • Withdrawals due to extenuating circumstances are still subject to all financial aid and SAP rules and calculations.
      • Deadlines for requesting an extenuating withdrawal will need to be at the latest, by the last day of classes in the semester following the one for which the withdrawal is requested. A grade of “WF” that is not appealed successfully remains a permanent part of the student’s academic record.
      • Refer students to the Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid to see how dropping or withdrawing a course could impact their financial aid eligibility or scholarships
      Screen shots:From SeaNet>Advisor Menu>Fostering Undergraduate Student Success>Select a Term>Enter Student’s ID

      Example of where a student’s withdrawal was for extenuating circumstances, showing the W on the transcript, but not counting towards the 16 credit hour threshold:
      Withdrawal Screenshot

      • FUSS Page:


      Withdrawal for Extenuating Circumstances Form

  • Withdrawal Checklist