University College

Anderson, Hall, and Townend

Students in Transition

The Students in Transition (SIT) program within University College works to connect students who are working to complete prerequisites for a degree program or those who have not yet identified a major, with academic advising and resources to assist them toward their academic goals. Military veterans and other non-traditional students may benefit from working with a University College advisor to develop a strategy for academic success and graduation.

Exploratory Transfer Students

Our office helps guide many exploratory transfer students through Orientation and their first few semesters here at UNCW. Many exploratory transfer students are assigned to an academic advisor within University College who guides the student toward declaring a major.

Transitional Students

Our office supports many current UNCW students who are considering changing their major. In making a decision to change majors, students work closely with the Career Center and University College to determine their academic and career interests along with how the classes the student has already taken will apply in a different major. University College manages the advising portion of this process by referring students to our established drop-in hours each week. Prior to meeting with a University College Advisor, students should first meet with a career counselor in the UNCW Career Center

Important Steps to Take:

1. Determine your career goals and aspirations.
2. Research, prepare for, and decide on your major(s).
3. Declare or change and transition into your chosen major.
4. Need Help?
  • After consulting with the Career Center, come in during University College drop-in hours for assistance.
  • Drop-in Hours change every semester and are on the main homepage of University College

UNCW Organizations & Resources

Students should check their UNCW email accounts regularly for messages about special events, such as Majors Fairs, Career Fairs, and other opportunities to connect with potential employers. Students should also make an effort to learn about student organizations related to their interest areas or experiences. The Campus Activities and Involvement Center is an excellent source of information about these organizations.

Organizations/Resources of note: