University College

Students at Computers in CIS

Make Your Course Selection

If you have decided to take classes during your summer and/or fall before entering UNCW in the Spring, it is important to plan wisely. Here are the steps you can take to make your course selection:

  1. Review the UNCW University Studies requirements and major program requirements. Most students will take courses towards University Studies (UNCW's general education curriculum) in the fall semester to work towards graduation. Students are often not ready (or able) to take major courses their first year, so University Studies equivalents are a good way to earn required credit before starting a major. Some majors, such as Nursing, require that students get started on coursework as soon as possible.
  2. Review the course schedule for the school you plan to attend. What courses are they offering that could be possible matches for the University Studies and/or major requirements at UNCW? You will likely narrow your choices based on what's available and what titles seem similar to UNCW courses.
  3. Use the Transfer Credit Equivalents tool through the Office of the Registrar. The courses you take for your summer and fall semesters should be equivalent to the University Studies and/or major courses at UNCW. Using this tool, you will be able to locate your state and the school you plan to attend. You will then see two columns of course numbers - UNCW courses and the other institution's courses - that show what equivalent courses would be.

    Should you have a course that you do not find, please send the course name, number, credit hours, and course description to the Office of the Registrar. They will assist you in determining whether that course will transfer to UNCW appropriately.
  4. Contact a University College advisor with questions at (910) 962-3245 or email
  5. Complete the Transient Study Form on MySeaport when you have completed your registration (or by August 1) to have an advisor review your course selection and for use at January orientation. Please note: This is an official document verifying which of your credits will transfer. This information is used by academic advisors to assist you with your course selection during the fall and to help during January orientation.
  6. Send an official transcript of your grades to the Office of the Registrar for a final, exact evaluation of transfer credit.