Student Group Travel

Students playing Sports

*New Travel Guidance for Student Groups*

Travel for Student Groups

All expenses for a student group should be claimed on one Faculty/Staff member's pre-approval and expense report and never on anyone else's. When a trip is handled this way, no travel expense will be reimbursed to the students directly. If students are to be reimbursed, then travel cannot be processed as a student group. A pre-approval should be completed and approved prior to the first day of business travel. Travel expenses for family members of a student or employee are not reimbursable. Student group travel cannot be charged to general funds. The student group must be on Official University Business.

Who is considered a Student Group?

  • Student Group travel is when one UNCW faculty/staff member takes a group of students on a trip and pays the trip expense for the students.

If students are to be reimbursed for any travel expenses, then travel cannot be processed as a student group travel and a separate pre-approval must be created for each student which should follow the policies and procedures for a student.

How to process travel for a Student Group

Student Group pre-approval and expense report should be processed in Chrome River. Chrome River is an electronic travel system that handles travel for the University and includes electronic approvals for all payments. The pre-approval should be created in the Faculty/Staff members name (who must be on the trip). In the pre-approval for the faculty/staff member there needs to be a list uploaded of all the students going on the trip.

For additional information on how to process travel, please see the individual expenses under the type of travel.

Friendly Reminders

  • Original reimbursement and backup documents are required to be uploaded into Chrome River.
  • Travelers are allowed one day of travel before the beginning of a conference and one day of travel after the conclusion of a conference.
  • All travel reimbursements should be completed within 15 days of return, and it must be submitted to the travel office within 30 calendar days from the return date.