Non-Employee Travel

image 475x230


All meals are reimbursed at a rate set by the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM). This meal per diem applies to all travelers whether they are employees, students or non-employees.

Since there is a set per diem rate, receipts are not required to be reimbursed for meals. The per diem rate also includes all tips for meals.

Reimbursement for meals is allowed only when traveling on official state business where overnight travel is involved at a location at least 35 miles from the travelers’ regularly assigned duty station or home, whichever is less. Meals are not reimbursed for day trips.

Meal eligibility is based on the specific departure and arrival dates and times listed on the travel Pre-Approval and Expense Report entered in Chrome River.

On Overnight Trips
Breakfast Depart before 6 a.m.
Lunch Depart before Noon or return after 2 p.m.
Dinner Depart before 5 p.m. or return after 8 p.m.

How to process meals in Chrome River

To enter meals in your expense report you must go the meals tile and choose how you would like to enter the meals for reimbursement. You will then enter all meals they are eligible to receive for reimbursement. If any meals were included with the registration fee remove that meal, as it can not be claimed for reimbursement. When foreign travel is involved, foreign meal per diem rates do not start until the traveler arrives in the foreign country on the departing flight.

photoBusiness Entertainment

If the traveler is taken out by an employee as a group of people for a meal to conduct business then the person paying for the meal should be reimbursed by doing a check request. They must provide an original itemized receipt for the meal. Any meals claimed as business entertainment can not be claimed under regular per diem meals for the non-employee. Business Entertainment cannot be claimed by a Non-Employee. However, they can be part of the group that went out to eat.

Current Meal Per Diem Rates

New! Meal and Lodging Per Diem Rates effective July 1, 2021. Please visit the Travel Office homepage to view current rates.

For Foreign Travel, please visit the Department of State website for information on Meal and Lodging Per Diem rates.