Independent Contractor Travel

Seahawk with Hoggard Hall in the background

Travel for Independent Contractor

Independent Contractors should complete the PUR 1.40 form before they are brought to campus. This form can be found on the Purchasing website. Please reference the Independent Contractor information on the University's Tax Compliance Website. 

Who is an Independent Contractor?

  • An individual invited to campus to participate in an event such as a seminar, panel discussion, or speaking engagement and will not receive payment or honorarium.
  • Services provided by a professional individual on a temporary or occasional basis, including but not limited to those provided by a speaker, visiting professor, doctor, dentist, scientist, or performer of the fine arts and similar professionals.
  • Consultant Services provided by state employees or independent contractors possessing specialized knowledge, experience, expertise and professional qualifications to investigate assigned problems or projects and to provide counsel, review and analysis or advice in formulating or implementing improvements in programs or services. This includes but is not limited to the organization, planning, directing, control, evaluation and operation of a program, agency or department.

How to process travel for a Independent Contractor

The Independent Contractor must be set up in Chrome River using the New Vendor form.  If the University is paying travel expenses directly for the Independent Contractor or reimbursing them after the trip, a Chrome River Pre-Approval should be completed before the travel occurs.  In addition to the PUR 1.40 form, all supporting documentation should be submitted with the expense report once the trip is over.

For additional information on how to process travel please see the individual expenses under the type of travel.

Friendly Reminders

  • Original reimbursement and backup documents are required to be uploaded into Chrome River.
  • Travelers are allowed one day of travel before the beginning of a conference and one day of travel after the conclusion of a conference.
  • All travel reimbursements should be completed within 15 days of return, however it must be submitted to the travel office within 30 calendar days from the return date.