Employee Travel

image 475x230

Foreign Travel for an Employee

Foreign Travel consist of Alaska, Hawaii and all Foreign Countries. All international travel must be authorized by the budget authority, supervisor, traveler and Vice Chancellor/Chancellor before the trip takes place. Also, if international travel is being paid by a grant fund, the Grant Officer will need to approve the travel as well. Foreign Travel status begins when the employee leaves the Continental US and remains in effect until the employee returns to the Continental US. Any expenses that are incurred during the trip within the Continental United States will have out of state rates applied to the expenses. Foreign travel follows normal rules and regulations of the University travel policies. Foreign travel reimbursements and prepaid items must follow the same guidelines as regular travel - original receipts, explanations for deviancies from policy or unusual circumstances, etc.

Per Diem Rates and Lodging Rates

Foreign meal per diem is determined by the destination of the trip. Foreign meal per diems and lodging rates can be found on the U.S. Department of State webpage. Meal per diems are relative to location. If in the US or on a flight into or out of the US at meal time, the traveler will be reimbursed at the appropriate out of state or in state meal per diem.

How to Process an International Travel

Enter the travel into Chrome River making sure you select International for Location and the correct Foreign Country for Destination. This will affect rates and the routing if not completed properly. Once the travel Pre-Approval has be entered and approved you are set until the traveler's return, unless any expenses need to be prepaid.

Once the traveler has returned from the trip, receipts in foreign currency must be converted to US dollars. This can be done using the conversion tool in Chrome River or you can use the Oanda website (www.oanda.com/convert/classic) and upload the proof of conversion. You will use the actual date on the receipt that the payment was made to convert. (Example: the traveler stayed 3 days in a hotel in England - you will use the date of check out or the date payment was made to convert, not each day of the stay).

If any receipts are in another language please translate either on the side of the receipt or on a piece of paper with the receipt taped to it.

photoWire and Draft

If the trip requires a payment in a foreign currency or you choose to pay by a wire or draft please enter the the payment into Chrome River selecting wire as check handling. You will then need to complete a wire/draft form with additional information. This form can be found on General Accounting's Website. Please upload the supporting documentation and the wire/draft form to the expense report. We will process and forward to General Accounting. For additional information on wires and drafts please see General Accounting's webpage.

Insurance Coverage for International Business Travel

All faculty/staff traveling on international university business have the option of purchasing international travel insurance before their trip.  Contact the Institutional Risk Management Office at extension 2-5974 and they will explain to you the differences between the regular state plan and the special coverage for international travel.  U.S. citizens traveling abroad should register their travel through the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.  In addition to receiving updates on travel alerts and warnings, you can receive assistance in situations ranging from replacement of lost passports to evacuation during natural disasters. 

Additional information for Foreign Travelers

The University relies on information from the U.S. Department of State for travel warnings issued periodically by the agency and information from the U.S. Disease Control. Please visit both of these websites to keep up with such matters as health conditions, crime, unusual entry requirements, areas of instability and the location of the nearest U.S embassy in subject country. Please see our list of additional links on the left side of our site for more information.

Additional UNCW Contacts for Foreign Travel

Additional UNCW Contacts

Export Controls

Leanne Prete- pretel 962-7774


Kristy Burnette - burnettek 962-2220


UNCW Passport Office - passport@uncw.edu