image 475x230

Travel for Employees

All expenses for an employee should be claimed on that individual's travel authorization and never on anyone else's. A travel authorization should be completed and approved prior to the first day of business travel. Travel expenses for family members of employees are not reimbursable.

Who is an Employee?

Any faculty or staff member working at the university on a temporary or permanent basis and being paid a salary or wages by the UNCW payroll is considered an employee.

How to Process Travel for an Employee

Employee travel authorization and requests for reimbursement should be processed in E-Travel. E-Travel is an electronic travel system that was developed to handle travel for the university and includes electronic approvals for all payments.

For additional information on how to process travel please see the individual expenses under the type of travel or view of step by step guide to E-Travel.

Helpful Reminders

  • Original reimbursement and backup documents are required with the travel package.
  • If originals are not available, please attach a memo that explains why originals were not included with the travel reimbursement.
  • All small receipts should be taped down to an 8 ½ by 11 sheet of white paper.
  • Send travel reimbursement to Travel Office to be processed.
  • Travelers are allowed one day of travel before the beginning of a conference and one day of travel after the conclusion of a conference.
  • All travel reimbursements should be completed within 15 days of return, however forms must be submitted to the travel office within 30 calendar days after the return date.