Office of Title IX & Clery Compliance

Get Help

Get Help Info

No person who experiences sexual assault or misconduct, dating or domestic violence, stalking or harassment has to deal with the situation alone. There are resources available on and off campus. First and foremost, if you are sexually assaulted: 

  • Get to a safe place, one that is well-lit and where there are other people, preferably people you know and trust.  
  • Do not bathe, douche, brush your teeth, drink, change clothing or even comb your hair before seeking medical attention. It is only natural to want to do so, but you may be destroying physical evidence that could be needed later if you wish to pursue criminal charges. 
  • If you remove/change clothing, place the clothing in a brown paper bag to ensure evidence preservation. 
  • As time passes, evidence may dissipate or become lost or unavailable, thereby making investigation, possible prosecution, disciplinary action, or the issuance of a protective order more difficult. If a victim chooses not to make a complaint regarding an incident, they should nevertheless consider speaking with University Police or other law enforcement to preserve evidence in the event they later decide to file charges. 
  • Call for help. People who care and who will provide you with support and information are available 24 hours a day via UNCW CARE at 910.512.4821 or at the Rape Crisis Center at 910.392.7460. Staff members at both centers can help you consider your reporting options, decide what to do next, and accompany you through the process. 
  • To report the assault, call University Police at 910.962.2222 or ext. 911 on-campus. You may also report your assault to the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance. A report form may be submitted at any time.  
  • A student has the option to pursue a criminal complaint with the appropriate law enforcement agency, to pursue a complaint through the campus conduct process, or to pursue both processes simultaneously. See the Student Gender-Based/Sexual Misconduct Policy for more information about reporting options. 
  • An employee has the option to pursue a criminal complaint with the appropriate law enforcement agency, to pursue a complaint through Human Resources, or to pursue both processes simultaneously. See HR Policy 02.205 Unlawful Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy. 
  • University personnel, including the Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance, will assist the victim in notifying authorities if the victim so requests.  
  • Victims also have the option to decline to notify law enforcement.  
  • Get immediate medical attention. You may have injuries that you may not have realized occurred during the assault. 
  • Evidence collection and emergency treatment are available 24 hours a day at the local emergency rooms.  
  • Treatment to prevent certain sexually transmitted infections is available and is most effective when taken as soon as possible after possible exposure (within 72 hours). Treatment is also available for injuries and to prevent pregnancy.  
  • The Abrons Student Health Center can provide students with immediate needs or subsequent follow-care. 
  • The North Carolina Rape Victims Assistance Program and Crime Victims Compensation Act covers most, if not all, medical costs related to rape.  
  • If you wish, call a friend, family member, or other trusted person to be with you. 

If a Title IX report is submitted to UNCW, the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance provides for interim measures and accommodations, regardless of whether or not an investigation occurs. Interim measures and accommodations include, but are not limited to: on-campus housing reassignment, work or academic schedule changes, academic support, and administrative no contact orders which states that students may by no means communicate with another student listed by the university.  

To file a report: 

You can file a report of sexual assault or misconduct, dating or domestic violence, stalking or harassment and any other form of discrimination by submitting the online complaint form with as much information as you have. This form also allows attachments of images and documents which may be relevant to the reported incident. This report goes to the Director of Title IX & Clery Compliance or designee, who will begin the response process. Reports can also be made by contacting the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance at or 910.962.3557. 

Definitions related to the complaint form and process: 

  • Complainant: the person or “victim” on whose behalf a report/complaint has been filed. This is the person directly impacted by the alleged violation of policy. 
  • Respondent: the person or “perpetrator” accused of violating the policy. 
  • Witness: any person identified as being material to the alleged incident. 
  • Title IX Investigator: neutral fact finder designated by the Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance who has undergone training on investigative methods and Title IX policy to conduct interviews with the complainant, respondent, and any relevant witnesses.  
  • Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance: responsible for the coordinated response from the University when a complaint is submitted. This response by the director includes offering support and resources to the complainant, consideration of interim measures and accommodations, assessment of safety for the complainant and the larger community.  

UNCW Confidential Resources

There are also three resources on campus that are confidential and are not mandatory reporters of sexual misconduct. All three are the only resources located on the second floor of DePaolo Hall. 

  • CARE responds to students, faculty, and staff who have experienced interpersonal violence, as well as those affected by someone else's experience with interpersonal violence, by providing supportive services, including crisis response, individual advocacy, and coordination with both on-campus and off-campus resources. CARE can be contacted at 910.962.CARE.  Emergency or after-hours consultation is also available by calling the CARE responder at 910.512.4821 or at  

  • The Counseling Center provides confidential counseling services to students. The Counseling Center can be contacted at 910.962.3746.  Emergency or after-hours consultation is available by contacting University Police. 

  • The Abrons Student Health Center provides confidential student-centered, affordable, quality health and preventative services. The Student Health Center can be contacted at 910.962.3280.  For emergencies after normal business hours, contact University Police. For other after-hours consultation, contact Vitaline to obtain advice from a registered nurse at 910.815.5188.