Office of Title IX & Clery Compliance

Frequently Asked Questions


  • What is Title IX?

    Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 states that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX covers gender equity in athletics, pregnant and parenting students, in addition to ensuring equal access to educational opportunities and co-curricular involvements free from sexual violence and other gender-based discrimination. These protections extend to students, employees, applicants for admission and employment, and visitors to the university community.

  • What is a responsible employee or mandatory reporter?

    All University employees who receive a report of gender-based/sexual misconduct by students, faculty, or staff on or off-campus are responsible employees (also known as mandatory reporters) and must notify the Director of Title IX and Clery Compliance. These responsible employees include the Office of the Dean of Students, University Police, Housing & Residence Life (including resident assistants), academic advisors, faculty, teaching assistants, athletic coaches, Human Resources, and other professional staff. In addition, all University employees are required by North Carolina law to report abuse or neglect upon a child or any disabled person. The only faculty or staff exempt from this requirement are the confidential resources on campus (staff in CARE, the Counseling Center, and the Abrons Student Health Center).

  • Are there confidential resources for students on campus?

    There are three confidential resources on campus for students:

    All three of these resources are the only offices located on the second floor of DePaolo Hall.

  • Are there confidential resources for faculty and staff on campus?

    Faculty and staff are able to utilize the services of CARE. If resources off-campus are desired, faculty and staff can also utilize the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Human Resources.

  • Is there someone at UNCW who can help answer my Title IX questions?

    The staff of the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance are available to answer any Title IX related questions you may have. You can visit the office in person in 1033A on the first floor of Depaolo Hall, email, or call at 910-962-3557 for assistance.


  • Are Title IX rights granted to pregnant students?

     The Department of Education's regulation implementing Title IX specifically prohibits discrimination against a student based on pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or recovery from any of these conditions. Under Title IX, it is impermissible to exclude a pregnant student from participating in any part of an educational program. This applies to specific classes, extracurricular programs, sports, honor societies, opportunities for student leadership, among other activities.

    Institutions may implement special instruction programs or classes for a pregnant student, but participation must be voluntary on the part of the student and the programs/classes must be comparable to those offered to other students.

    Additionally, institutions must excuse a student's absences because of pregnancy or childbirth for as long as the student's doctor deems the absences medically necessary. When a student returns to school, she must be allowed to return to the same academic and extracurricular status as before her medical leave began. It is important to note that any such accommodations contemplated herein must not fundamentally alter the structure of a course to ensure that the educational opportunity afforded is similarly situated to other students.

    For more information, see the Department of Education's guidance document, Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students.


  • What is a Campus Security Authority (CSA)?

    "Campus security authority" is a Clery Act-specific term that encompasses four groups of individuals and organizations associated with an institution. Those groups are as follows:

    • A campus police department or a campus security department of an institution.
    • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property, including building access).
    • Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
    • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, taking students abroad/on trips, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.
  • How can a CSA report an incident?

    Any incident of sexual misconduct, whether it is Clery reportable or not, should be reported to the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance utilizing the Online Reporting Form. That report must be submitted within one (1) business day of a disclosure of a Clery/Title IX sexual misconduct violation.

    Otherwise, the UNCW Police Department is the point of origin for all emergency services on campus. The department is open and provides police and security services 24-hours a day, year-round. Students, employees, and campus visitors should immediately report all crimes to University Police.

    University Police encourages anyone who is the victim or witness to any crime or suspected crime to promptly report the incident to police. Because police reports are public records under state law, University Police cannot hold reports of crime in confidence. Confidential reports for purposes of inclusion in the annual disclosure of crime statistics can generally be submitted anonymously as described below. Reports may also be submitted to other Campus Security Authorities, who may report the occurrence to University Police without personally identifiable information in certain circumstances.

    The police department monitors emergency call boxes as well as emergency telephones located on university properties. Elevators are equipped with an emergency telephone and some building locations have intercoms that connect directly to University Police.

    In addition to the methods listed above, University Police may be contacted in the following ways:

    • In an emergency, call 911.
    • For non-emergencies, from a campus phone, call extension 2-2222. From a non-campus phone, call (910) 962-2222.
    • To submit an anonymous report, employees, students, and visitors may:From a campus phone, call extension 2-8477 (TIPS). From a non-campus phone, call (910) 962-8477 (TIPS).
    • Send an anonymous email from the University Police web page.
    • Utilize TEXT-A-TIP, a program in cooperation with Wilmington Police Department. Go online at to submit an anonymous online report or make a report by text:Begin the text message with “Tip 708.” Type the remainder of the tip/message. Send the text message to 274637 (CRIMES).
  • Does someone have to be convicted of a crime before it is reportable under the Clery Act?

    No. Under the Clery Act, a crime is "reported when it is brought to the attention of a CSA, University Police, or local law enforcement personnel by a victim, witness, or other third party. It doesn't matter whether or not the individuals involved in the crime or reporting the crime are associated with the institution. If a CSA receives a report, it must be included as a crime in the university's crime statistics. It is not necessary for the crime to have been investigated by University Police or a CSA, nor must a finding of guilt or responsibility be made to include the crime in the university's crime statistics.  

  • Where can I report a crime confidentially?

    To submit an anonymous report to University Police, employees, students, and visitors may:

    • From a campus phone, call extension 2-8477 (TIPS). From a non-campus phone, call (910) 962-8477 (TIPS).
    • Send an anonymous email from the  University Police web page.
    • Utilize TEXT-A-TIP, a program in cooperation with Wilmington Police Department.Go online at to submit an anonymous online report or make a report by text:Begin the text message with “Tip 708.” Type the remainder of the tip/message. Send the text message to 274637 (CRIMES).

    To submit an anonymous report of Harassment, Discrimination, or Retaliation, non-mandatory reporters can utilize the Online Reporting Form found on this site.

  • What are Timely Warnings and Emergency Notifications?

    Under the Clery Act, every institution is required to issue an emergency notification and immediately notify the campus community upon confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation occurring on the campus that involves an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees. An immediate threat includes an imminent or impending threat, such as an approaching hurricane, fire in a building, or armed intruder, among other examples. This type of notification is not limited to crimes.

    On the other hand, the Clery Act requires institutions to issue timely warnings to alert the campus community to certain crimes in a manner that is timely and will aid in the prevention of similar crimes. This includes crimes reported to CSAs or local police agencies that represent a serious or continuing threat to students and employees.