Department of Theatre


Undergraduate Advising Page

This page provides answers to the most common questions about our program in two areas: Scheduling and Preparing for Theatre Advising Appointments and Frequently Asked questions (FAQ) about the Theatre Major/Minor.

Other useful resources that can help you take charge of your academic progress include:

How to schedule an Advising Appointment?

Prior to the registration advising period, you will receive an email to your UNCW account that tells you it is time to schedule your advising appointment.

Your primary contact for academic guidance is your assigned faculty advisor.  You can locate the name of your advisor at the top of your degree audit.  The best way to contact your advisor is by email.  The advisor name on your degree audit is typically a link that you can click to send an email, or you can find the contact information for all theatre faculty here.

Note: if you are not sure if you are on our mailing list or have not yet been assigned a Theatre Advisor or want to switch advisors, please contact Sue Wilder in the Theatre main office at or (910) 962-2061.  

What do I need to do to prepare for my advising meeting?

Degree Audit

  1. Create a pdf of your online audit from Degree Audit available via SeaNet for Students.
  2. Review the audit for remaining required courses in your major(s), and university studies.
  3. Note the number of elective hours at your disposal and consider course options best suited to your plans for graduate study or professional employment.
  4. Don’t forget to check that you have completed total credits needed (either 120 or 124), as well as all requirements. Are all check marks Green on Degree audit?
  5. Save as pdf to your desktop (lastname firstname 850# audit.pdf) and send to Advisor along with other documents. (Detailed instructions here.)

Advising Form

  1. Use “Search for Courses” on SeaNet to create your proposed schedule.  
  2. Use the catalogue to look at course descriptions and prerequisites.  
  3. Visit the Theatre Curriculum page for a list of courses to consider in support of your concentration in THR. Remember: the primary way you will develop and pursue your special interest is through course projects not simply course titles. Explore the major!
  4. Fill out and save THR Advising Form (lastname firstname 850# advising form.docx

Advising Checklist

  1. Fill out and save THR Advising Checklist
  2. Use the advising session to discuss your career goals and how the courses that you are choosing fit into those goals. Prepare brilliant, engaging questions for your advisor to take advantage of this quality one-on-one time.

Students intending to change majors or concentrations should print a “what-if” audit for their new degree/concentration.

The advisor is there to help you, but in the end managing your degree requirements is YOUR responsibility. After you have registered for classes, re-run your degree audit to make sure that classes are fulfilling the degree requirements you anticipated. If you have questions or a problem, see your advisor or Department Chair. Don’t wait until after classes have begun as this might be too late and could delay your graduation.

Next steps:

Email your Advisor to request an advising appointment (send three suggested time slots).  Include in the email:

  1. Saved PDF of your Degree Audit (lastname firstname 850# audit.pdf)
  2. Saved PDF of your THR Advising Checklist (lastname firstname 850# checklist.pdf)
  3. Saved copy of your THR Advising Form (lastname firstname 850# Advising Form.docx)

Detailed instructions on saving Fillable PDF's here

Answers to FAQs for Theatre Majors

What classes do I need to get a Bachelor’s degree in Theatre?

There are many helpful resources about our Undergraduate Program on our Theatre Department website. In particular, there is a page dedicated to the curriculum which includes detailed information about the required course sequence.

How do I access my degree audit?

A degree audit is an online tool that allows you to track your progress toward your degree. It lists important information like your current GPA, your catalogue year, the course requirements you have already fulfilled and your earned grades, and courses that will help you fulfill any remaining requirements.

You can find detailed information about your degree audit at the Office of the Registrar.You can access your degree audit through your SeaNet account. Log in to SeaNet (using your UNCW login information) and click on the following links: Student Services & Financial Aid > Student Records > Degree Audit (at the bottom of the list).

How do I find my time ticket on SeaNet?

 How do I register for classes?

To register for classes, you will first need your registration PIN which you’ll receive when you attend your advising session. Registration usually occurs the first week of November for the following Spring semester, and the first week of April for the Summer and Fall semesters. Use the University Calendar to help you keep track of registration dates. 

You will use SeaNet to register for classes.  Click on Secure Login for Faculty, Staff, and Students and then log in using your UNCW student ID (850) number and password. Your SeaNet password is initially set to your 8-digit birthday, but you may have created a new one if you’ve logged in before. Once logged in, click on Student Services and Financial Aid and then Registration.  You can register for classes using the Look-up Classes to Add link, and you can access your time ticket using the Check your Registration Status link.
Note: If you had to be given “permission” to register for the class, then you need to do that using the CRN number.

You can find more detailed information about policies related to registration at the Office of the Registrar.

 How do I get a registration PIN?

You will receive your registration PIN at your advising meeting.  You will receive an email to your UNCW account to let you know when advising is about to begin. Your faculty advisor has access to PIN information. Do not ask for a PIN without first being advised. If you are a double major and have already received your PIN, you still should schedule an advising meeting to ensure you are on the right track.

Note that, once you apply to graduate, you will not receive a registration PIN. If you decide to enroll in classes for another semester, then you need to contact and let the Registrar’s Office know that your graduation date needs to be moved.  Once you ask them to move your graduation date back one semester, they will be able to issue you a PIN and registration date/time.

What should I do if I’m having trouble contacting my advisor?

The best way to contact your advisor is by email.  You can locate the name of your academic advisor at the top of your degree audit, and his or her name is typically a link that you can click to send an email. Alternatively, you can find the contact information for all faculty here.

You should expect to give your advisor a day or two to reply to your email.  Please remember that faculty are teaching classes, in production, and advising other students, so they may need a little lead time to get back to you.  You might also go by your advisor's office to see if they have any posted office hours that you can attend. However, if you have reached out to your advisor repeatedly and have not heard back, please contact the Theatre Department Chair, for assistance.

Important Note:  Please keep in mind that most faculty are on a 9-month contract and are often less available during the summer (from mid-May through mid-August).  So unless you have an urgent academic matter during the summer that requires immediate attention, please plan to get your all advising needs addressed during the school year. If you do need advising during the summer, please contact the Department Chair.

I’m a new Theatre transfer student.  What should I do next?

Welcome to UNCW!  We know that you are excited to begin planning your university career, but our first suggestion here is: Please try to be patient! We have an orientation process for transfer students in place that will answer all your questions and get you registered for classes. So for now, just be sure that you have registered for your transfer orientation session (this is done through Transition Programs) and that all transcripts of your prior coursework have been sent to UNCW’s Office of the Registrar (click here for instructions on how to submit transcripts).  If you have an urgent matter that needs to be addressed prior to transfer orientation, please contact the Theatre Department Chair.

How do I declare Theatre as my Major?

The first thing you should do is schedule an advising appointment with the Theatre Department Chair to discuss your career plan and which of our three options would be best for you. To do that contact Susan Wilder at

After your meeting with the Chair, you declare by logging onto MySeaport, clicking on the Academics tab near the top, and then clicking on Major Declaration/Curricular Updates in the Student Services box on the right of the screen. The Registrar will post close dates for when you can no longer declare your major, so be sure to pay attention to those dates. Use the University Calendar to help you keep track of important dates.

I’m considering changing my Major to Theatre.  How can I decide?

The best thing you should do is schedule an advising appointment with the Theatre Department Chair to discuss your career plan and whether a Theatre major or minor is right for you. To do that contact Susan Wilder at

As well, you might want to run a "What If" degree audit in SeaNet. This shows whether any of your previously completed coursework would fulfill any of the requirements for a Theatre Major.

Should I do a Theatre Minor?

The answer to this question will be different for different students.  You can certainly graduate successfully without a minor. However, a minor can be a great opportunity to explore another discipline that you enjoy in some depth, to supplement your professional credentials for graduate school or your chosen career, or even just to provide some structure for selecting remaining credit hours near the end of your university career.
If you are majoring in another discipline and would like to minor in Theatre, please go to our minor webpage for a list of the requirements.  

You can declare a minor by logging onto MySeaport, clicking on the Academics tab near the top, and then clicking on Major Declaration/Curricular Updates in the Student Services box on the right of the screen.

What if I want to take more than 18 hours in the Fall/Spring or more than 8 hours in the Summer?

If you have a GPA of 3.50 or higher, you need Associate Dean Boersma’s permission to enroll in 19-21 hours (21 hrs is max) for the Fall or Spring semesters and 9 for the Summer semesters. You should need to visit the CAS website and under the student heading select Academic Forms>then select the form "CAS Over Hours Request". Fill out the DocuSign form and route to Sue Tatum and Dr. Jess Boersma. If approved, Dr. Boersma will forward approval to the Office of the Registrar, and you will be able to register for classes online up to the approved number of hours. 

If your GPA is less than 3.50, you need your advisor’s or department chair’s written approval to enroll in more than 18 hours. The advisor or department chair can seek approval by sending an email to Dr. Boersma.  In addition to the above information, your advisor will need to include a sentence stating that he or she “supports the student’s decision” or “approves the student taking ____ hours for ____ semester 20__”.   Transfer students who have not established a UNCW GPA need to follow the same steps as students with a GPA less than 3.50. 

If your GPA is below a 3.0, it is highly unlikely that the dean will approve additional hours. You can contact your advisor to discuss this issue, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, this request is unlikely to be approved. 

This same procedure needs to be followed for students who wish to enroll in 9 hours for Summer I and II sessions.

How does Writing Intensive work?

If your catalogue year (as listed on your degree audit) falls between 2014/15 and 2017/18, you will need to complete 9 total Writing Intensive credit hours.  The new catalogue (2018/19) only requires 6 Writing Intensive credits. THR 165 will fulfill 3 of those credits. If you are in the 2018/19 catalogue, you will need to take at least one additional Writing Intensive course. Consider taking THR 316, 368, 369 or something in another department.

How do I go about selecting a Foreign Language class?

Selecting and being placed into a Foreign Language course may seem a bit confusing at first. To determine the best foreign language courses for you, read the information on UNCW's Language Requirement and use the Language Placement Tool. Note that these websites also provide you with contact information for the World Languages & Cultures Department should you require additional guidance.