Office of the Registrar

Instructions for Major Declarations and Curricular Updates

Effective spring 2012, the University adopted a policy to suspend curriculum changes during key advising points in the semester. This applies to changes/additions of catalog year, major, minor and/or concentrations. No opportunities for change will be allowed during the time periods listed below.

The dates for suspending these changes are:

For FAll 2022, the major declaration system will close Monday, October 17 at 11:59pm and re-open Monday, November 14 at 12:01am. 


This policy changed to allow your advisors to adequately prepare for advising you under your current curriculum. Please discuss possible changes with your advisor, prior to these dates.

University College Major Declarations

See Declaring a Major

Curricular Updates

Students outside of University College are allowed to change their curriculum online. You must be in good academic standing in order to use the online Major Declaration/Curricular Update Application.

  • 1. Consult with your advisor and run a "What-If Degree Audit" prior to using the online Change/Declare Major application
  • 2. It's important to know which college or school you are in; the degree you are pursuing; and the catalog year you are studying under.
  • 3. Submit a request to update your major. The request form is available in mySeaport. The link for the Major Declaration/Curricular Updates application is on the Students tab, under the Academics header (right menu).

The online Major Declaration/Curricular Update Application
can be used to add and/or update catalog years,
degrees, majors, minors, concentrations,
and university study clusters.

You may also use this application to add a
second degree, major, minor, and/or concentration.

  • 4. Once submitted, the request will be forwarded to the appropriate departments, for approval.
  • 5. Students and advisors will be kept informed via email, throughout the approval process.
  • 6. The department's approval (or denial) will be sent to the Office of the Registrar, with a copy to the student.

My catalogue has expired. How do I change?

Students may enroll under a previous catalogue, from a year in which they earned credit, provided all graduation requirements are completed within six years of the expiration date of the catalogue chosen. Go to step 3 above. Once you've logged into the Major Declaration/Curricular Update Application, select 'Remove Degree' and re-build your program of study under a more recent catalogue year. Submit your changes.

New Students, Transfer Students & New Re-Enrolling Students

Students are required to select a major or a pre-major at the time of admission to UNC Wilmington. Advising is done within the chosen field at orientation. Some transfer students may be assigned to University College until they have met the requirements for their major of choice. Students who have been accepted to UNC Wilmington, but have not registered, must fill out a major change form with the Office of Admissions or contact them at