Office of the Registrar


Faculty responsibilities regarding grading are outlined in the Faculty Handbook. UNCW instructors enter final course grades through the Final Grades page in SeaNet during the grading period at the end of each term. The Final Grades page can be reached directly through SeaNet or through the MySeaport portal. A grade of incomplete requires the approval of the department chair and must be assigned using the Incomplete Grade Assignment procedure described below. Grades entered through SeaNet are "rolled" to student transcripts every evening. Once grades are rolled to transcripts, grade changes cannot be made through the Final Grades page. At that point, grade changes must be done through the Grade Change procedure described below.

Last Day of Attendance

For failing or unsatisfactory grades ONLY, the last day of attendance is required. UNCW must provide the last date of attendance for F and U grades to comply with federal student aid reporting requirements.  For grades other than F or U, the date field, may be left blank.

Note:  Examples of academically-related activities that count as “attendance” include the following: physically attending class, participating in class with a ‘clicker’ device, submitting an assignment/exam/tutorial, attending a study group assigned by the instructor, participating in an online discussion about academic matters, or initiating contact with the instructor to ask a question about the course or course content.  If your class is an on-line or distance education course, the student simply logging into an on-line course does not count.

  • If you have no evidence the student ever attended or participated in your course, please enter the date the class started. This will equate to 0% attendance for federal student aid reporting purposes.

Advanced Grading

The assignment of an incomplete, conversion of an incomplete to a final grade, and change from one grade to another can be done online. All approval steps and final processing are handled electronically. The course instructor should begin the process using the instructions below:

Incomplete Grade Assignment
Incomplete Conversion
Grade Change

We encourage faculty to use the online incomplete grade and grade change processes referred to above. The instructor's part of the process is straight-forward, the chair's and dean's approval steps are easy, and the update of the student's record is immediate. Department chairs who wish to submit a form on behalf of the instructor of record (i.e., if the instructor is no longer actively employed by the university) should contact the Office of the Registrar.