Human Resources

Employee Resources

United Way 2-1-1

United Way 2-1-1 offers free and confidential information and referral services for such needs as financial assistance, food and other basic needs, housing resources, transportation, child care, health care, and many other services.

For detailed information about this service and its availability in your area, your may access the 2-1-1 program website at

State Employee's Credit Union

Salary Advance Loans - Salary Advance Loans provide an inexpensive and convenient loan for members who have an emergency need for cash. Loan amounts are limited to a maximum of $500 and must be repaid on your next paydate. Direct deposit of your payroll to a credit union account is required. Salary Advance Loans offer a low interest rate, the convenience of advances and a Salary Advance Cash Account to assist you in saving for the future. Each time you obtain an advance, 5% of the loan amount is deposited to the cash account and pledged as collateral for the loan. The Salary Advance Cash Account belongs to you and will earn interest; however, access to the account will be restricted.

Mortgage Assistance - To assist members with maintaining payments on their primary residence, SECU has developed a Mortgage Assistance Program, designed to provide options for members to stay in their homes. This Program offers a number of options to help employees who are having trouble meeting their mortgages including refinancing, deferring payments, making partial payments and more. SECU encourages employees to talk with them about options that will meet their individual needs. As a guarantee, SECU will grant at least a 30-day loan extension to members who meet with an SECU representative. State employees must be a member of the Credit Union to take advantage of these resources, but they may join SECU at any time.

For more information, please visit the SECU website or Making Ends Meet

UNCW Emergency Loan Program

UNCW provides an emergency loan of not more than $250 to eligible employees for financial assistance during an emergency. An emergency loan may be granted to an employee for a reason that has placed the employee in an immediate financial hardship. Emergency loans are available to permanent and time-limited employees of the university. Emergency loans are not available to probationary, temporary or student employees. For more information about the emergency loan program, please contact the Payroll office at 962-3163 or complete the Request for Employee Emergency Loan form and submit to the Payroll office.

Employee Assistance Program

North Carolina state government has contracted with an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to serve as a resource for helping you in times of need. ComPsych is university-sponsored, confidential and provided at no charge to you and your dependents.It provides support, resources and information for personal and work-life issues. CALL 1-877-274-7342 or to access services.

ComPsych is the world's largest Employee Assistance Program. All employees and their dependents are eligible. This includes employees who have been recently separated (within six months of the end of their employment). Some of the programs offered are:

  • Confidential Counseling - employees and their family members get three free visits per issue per year
  • Legal/Financial Consultation Resources
  • Referrals to the employees' health plan, community resources, childcare and elder care resources and financial counselors/planners
  • Online Tools and Resources
  • Work/Life Solutions

ComPsych GuidanceResources® Quick Guide

Wilmington Credit Counsel

For access to local companies to assist with credit counseling, tips for budgeting, making financial plans and rebuilding your credit go to the Wilmington Credit Counsel.

The New Hanover County Joblink Career Center

The New Hanover County Joblink Career Center offers job placement, unemployment insurance, and labor market information. They are also the joblink career center for New Hanover County. To contact the Joblink Career Center call 910-251-5777 x229 or visit their website.

Community Resources Quick Guide

A guide to programs and services for citizens of Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and
Pender Counties.