Applying to the Honors College as a Transfer Student

The Honors College at UNCW welcomes transfer students. There are two pathways for transfer students: University Honors for transfer students and Bridge Honors.

Please note: in order to be considered for the Honors College, transfer students must apply by UNCW's posted priority deadlines.

Priority deadlines:

  • Summer - March 1
  • Fall - March 1
  • Spring - October 15 

Once you have been admitted to UNCW, you may choose to apply to the University Honors program or Bridge Honors program. 

About Honors Pathways

The standard Honors curriculum (known as University Honors) was originally designed for students entering as traditional first-years—e.g., those who will need to complete a large number of University Studies (general education) requirements. The standard curriculum required transfer students to complete 6 credit hours (2 classes) of Honors University Studies classes. Over the years we have noticed that it is often difficult for transfer students, many of whom have already completed all of their general education requirements, to complete the standard curriculum. 

In Fall 2021 we are launching the Bridge Honors Program, specifically designed for transfer students. University Honors will still be an option for transfer students for whom it is a better fit. 

The Bridge Program requires a total of 12-13 credit hours, completed through honors interdisciplinary seminars. The University Honors transfer option requires 20 credit hours spread cross honors seminars and University Studies courses. Bridge Honors includes a majority of the benefits of the Honors College: priority registration, scholarship eligibility, Honors programming, participation in the Medallion Ceremony, and honors recognition on the diploma. 

University Honors for Transfer Students Bridge Honors
Designed for  Transfer students with 35 or fewer credit hours and 2-3 remaining general education requirements Transfer students with an associate's degree, more than 35-40 credit hours, OR fewer than 2 general education requirements remaining
Curricular requirements
  • 6 hours of Honors University Studies (e.g., Honors BIO 201, honors ENG 103)
  • HON 210, 211, or 212 (3 hours)
  • Two credits of HON 120, 121, or 191
  • 3 hours of Honors electives
  • Departmental Honors thesis (6 hours)

See University Honors for Transfer Students worksheet

  • HON 399 or 191 (1 hour)
  • Departmental Honors thesis (6 hours)
  • 5-6 hours of Honors seminars (including HON 210, 211, 212, 120, and/or 121)

See Bridge Honors worksheet

Total credits required 20 hours 12-13 hours
Medallion Ceremony participation? Yes Yes
Type of honors received on degree

University Honors with Honors in (major)

ex.: University Honors with Honors in Biology

Bridge Honors in (major)

ex.: Bridge Honors in Biology

Directions for Applying 

Direct Application

Apply to the Honors College through an application directly on our website. There is one application; you will be able to choose your path (University Honors or Bridge Honors) in the application. 

The applications are in Microsoft Forms and will only accept submissions from verified UNCW Outlook accounts. Once you have received admission to UNCW, you can login to your UNCW email account and then submit the application. If you have trouble opening the link below, login to your UNCW email using credentials provided in your admission letter, and then try opening the application link. 

Apply Now for Fall 2022 Enrollment

Notes on Transfer Admissions to the Honors College

The Honors College cannot admit you until after the Office of Admissions has done so. Please hold inquiries about your Honors status until after you've received an acceptance from UNCW.

Please feel free to email us at with any questions. 

Best Practices for Applying to Honors as a Transfer Student

  • Honors students must have a GPA of at least 3.3 when they have completed 27 credit hours at UNCW. After completing 58 credit hours, that GPA must be at least 3.5. Please consider your GPA when making the decision to apply to Honors. 
  • UNCW merit scholarships and Honors College scholarships are typically awarded on a rolling basis. Applying earlier will increase your eligibility to receive scholarships. You also need to submit the UNCW Scholarship Application. 

Memos of Understanding with Community College Honors Programs

The UNCW Honors College has Memos of Understanding with the honors programs at the schools below, and we will accept honors credit earned in these programs to count toward our own requirements. If you are a transfer student who previously attended one of the honors programs at these schools, and would like to join the Honors College at UNCW, please reach out directly at after receiving an acceptance from UNCW. 

Southwestern Community College Honors Program logoDurham Tech Logo

Cape Fear Community College Logo  Alamance Community College Honors Program logo

Wayne Community College Honors Program logo

Frequently Asked Questions

If I am accepted, will I have to move into honors housing?

No, you will stay in your current housing. You will just receive access to honors courses, programs, registration, etc.

What are honors courses like?

Honors class sizes are relatively small. In 2018-2019, the average size of HON classes was 17 students, with classes ranging from 5 to 20 students. This helps you develop close interactions with the faculty from your very first semester. Many are also interdisciplinary, giving students the opportunity to approach a topic from several different angles. Click here to see a listing of current Honors courses.

Where is the office of the Honors College located?

We are located in Randall Library on the second floor, Suite 2006. Our mailing address is:

Honors College, 601 South College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403-5958