Disability Resource Center


The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the campus office designated to determine accommodations for students with disabilities.  Our approach is student-centered and interactive.  Students seeking accommodations are required to enroll with the DRC and provide appropriate documentation

Academic Accommodations

The DRC offers a wide range of academic accommodations that are individualized and based upon your documented disability.  Once documentation has been approved, you will meet with a DRC staff member to determine your accommodations.  This remains a collaborative process throughout your time at UNCW.  

It is important to understand accommodations are not retroactive and only begin once you notify faculty by providing the designated accommodation letter. You are advised to meet with faculty to discuss implementation of accommodations.  

Though not an exhaustive list, the following are some of the accommodations available to students when appropriate:

  • Alternative Format
  • Assistive Technology
  • Audio Record Lectures
  • FM Systems
  • Interpreting Services
  • Testing Accommodations

Housing Accommodations

Housing accommodations must be approved in advance by submitting appropriate documentation.  Housing accommodations based on documented disabilities are determined based on the need for equal access and are determined on a case-by-case basis.  Once housing assignments are made, requests may be subject to availability.

Though not an exhaustive list, the following are some of the accommodations available to students when appropriate:

  • Housing Equipment for Deaf/Hard of Hearing
  • Housing Equipment for Blind/Low Vision
  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Personal Care Attendant

Emotional Support Animals (ESA)

Students seeking approval to bring an Emotional Support Animal to reside in campus housing as a reasonable accommodation must:

  1. Enroll with the DRC and submit both verification of disability and an ESA Verification form.
  2. Review the Emotional Support Animal Verification Procedures.
  3. Participate in enrollment meeting and ESA interview with DRC staff.
  • The University generally does not approve exotic animals, reptiles, amphibians, or other animals that carry zoonotic diseases.
  • CAUTION: UNCW is concerned about the growing number of questionable website services that create ESA letters for a fee to the purchaser.  These websites are generally unreliable sources and do not produce documentation that adequately supports an ESA request.

Dining Accommodations

If a student has special dietary needs or restrictions, Campus Dining can accommodate the student to make sure they get the most out of their meal plan. For any dietary and/or nutritional concerns, please contact the Campus Dietician, Chelsea Stant at stantc@uncw.edu or 910.962.7621.