Disability Resource Center

Faculty Frequently Asked Questions

Are all students with disabilities registered with the Disability Resource Center?

No. It is possible that a student with a disability has chosen not to register with the Disability Resource Center, or may not have met the eligibility criteria for services. In either instance, faculty do not need to provide accommodations for those students.

Who is responsible for determining reasonable accommodations?

The Disability Resource Center is the only office on campus that determines appropriate accommodations. Decisions regarding accommodations are based on documentation provided by the student with a disability, as well as the student's functional limitations.

When is a student required to notify me of a need for accommodation?

The Disability Resource Center encourages but does not require registered students to meet with the instructor at the beginning of each semester to discuss his Letter of Accommodations. However, a student can register with the Disability Resource Center or present their Letter of Accommodations to you at any time during the semester.

Am I allowed to request documentation from the student for any reason?

No. Documentation stating and describing a student's disability is confidential information. All Documentation for students registered is kept with the Disability Resource Center.

Do I have any recourse if I disagree with the requested accommodations?

Yes. You should contact the Disability Resource Center to discuss your concerns. Ext.27555

If a student discloses a disability midway through the semester, am I required to accommodate previous work submitted in the course?

Accommodations are not made retroactively. Students are encouraged to disclose their disability early in the semester so that the necessary accommodations can be implemented, and it is the student's responsibility to do so. Thus, you are not required to accommodate previous coursework that has been submitted for evaluation.

I have a student in class who provided me with a letter indicating approved accommodations but has never used them. What is my responsibility in this situation?

It is up to the student to determine and to communicate when and under what circumstances accommodations are needed.

Am I required to lower standards of a required assignment because the student has a disability?

No. The standards should be the same for all students. However, some students with disabilities may exhibit their knowledge, production or other course expectations differently than their peers. Accommodations are designed to address those differences, but the quality of the end result should be the same.

I have a student with a disability who is getting behind in his coursework. The student is missing a number of classes and has not handed in several assignments. Although he has taken a midterm and used accommodations, his grade is about a D. At this point he is not passing the class. Do I have the right to fail a student with a disability?

The student with a disability has the same right to fail as anyone else. Work produced by the student should be equivalent to his peers. Provision of accommodations is no guarantee of academic success.

What do I do about a student with a disability who is misbehaving, threatening, or rude?

All students are expected to abide by the UNCW's Code of Student Life. Poor behavior is not excused on the basis of disability. If any student is disruptive, follow standard departmental procedures such as contacting campus security.

I have a student who is having difficulty in my class. I think this student may have a disability. What should I do to help the student?

Talk privately with the student to discuss your observations. Do not assume that the student's difficulties are a result of a disability, but if, through discussion with the student, it appears appropriate to refer the student to one or more campus resources. Offer options to the student, (refer to the Campus Resources section of our website for helpful campus resources)). If the student discloses that he or she does have a disability, suggest that the student contact the Disability Resource Center to explore options for accommodations.