Grievance and Appeal Procedures

UNCW provides several means by which student complaints and grievances may be addressed. In all cases, students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance.  If you are enrolled in UNCW courses and you have a complaint about your experience other than that covered by the Grade Appeals procedure, please refer to the UNCW Grievance Procedure in the UNCW Code of Student Life (page 132).  UNCW's Dean of Students office is located on-campus at DePaolo Hall Suite 1092 Wilmington, NC 28403. The office may be reached by phone (910) 962-3119 or by email:

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting UNCW's procedure described above, the student may file a complaint with the following agencies:

1. North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit in accordance with the process and form for complaints and at the following. 

  • North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
  • c/o Student Complaints
  • University of North Carolina System Office
  • 910 Raleigh Road
  • Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
  • 919-962-4558
  • email:

2. Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC), SACSCOC Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, Student Complaints, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 Telephone 404.679.4500. If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions Information Sheet and Form.

3. Students engaged in online learning, residing outside of North Carolina while attending UNCW, who followed the above Complaint Resolution process but whose initial complaint was not resolved to their satisfaction may also appeal to the post-secondary licensing agency in the state in which they reside. As required by federal regulations, we direct you to UNCW's list of state agencies for filing student complaints.

4. Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to NCSEAA only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. We direct you to SARA-North Carolina and to the Complaint Process page and SARANC Complaint Form.

  • SARA North Carolina - North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA)
  • P.O. Box 14103
  • Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
  • T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162) T: (919)549-8614, ext 4667