­In light of the move to online and remote learning necessitated by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, UNCW developed an extraordinary policy allowing students in many courses to opt into Pass/Fail grading after the semester ends and grades are reported. While these adjustments offer increased flexibility for you, you are still required to work closely with faculty and your academic advisor in considering your options, as your decisions can have long-term implications.

It is important all CHHS students understand the full consequences of the choices they make regarding the letter grade versus Pass/Fail grade structure. First, opting for a “P” grade does not increase or decrease your GPA, as a “P” does not count in GPA calculation. Second, a “P” grade could be detrimental to your ability to transfer to other institutions, admission to graduate or professional schools, and/or eligibility for certification, licensure or employment. Students are strongly encouraged to understand the full implications of opting for a “P” grade as it maybe in your best interest to keep the assigned letter grade.

In order to implement the Pass/Fail policy, school directors, program coordinators and faculty have collaborated with the CHHS leadership, Academic Affairs and the Registrar to determine specific applicability of the Pass/Fail option.

Please find below the Pass/Fail policies for the School of Health and Applied Human Sciences.

  • The School of Health and Applied Human Sciences (SHAHS) will accept “P” grades from the spring 2020 semester for admission into its undergraduate and graduate degree programs (including OAP) where there is a GPA requirement.
  • The SHAHS will accept a “P” grade where there is an admission requirement specifying a minimum grade in any course. In this instance, the “P” grade is determined to satisfy the minimum course grade requirement regardless of the grade specified.
  • The SHAHS will accept “P” grades from the spring 2020 semester for progression to the next academic term. This applies to students currently enrolled in all programs, regardless of delivery format.
  • “P” grades may not be used when exercising the grade repeat/replacement policy. If a student earns a letter grade in a course replacement, then switches that grade to Pass/Fail, the Registrar’s Office will remove the replacement. 

Please keep in mind that the option to switch to Pass/Fail will not be available until after standard grades are posted. Information about how to request a Pass/Fail is forthcoming. We encourage you to contact your advisor with any questions you may have – and as you carefully consider your options.