Seniors exercising outdoors

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate

The Graduate School offers a multidisciplinary post-baccalaureate program in gerontology housed in the School of Health and Applied Human Sciences. The goal of the program is to provide a program of instruction and educational experiences in the field of gerontology at the graduate level, i.e., an academic foundation for anyone who plans to work with older adults. As those who work with older adults must be aware of all aspects of aging, course work will address the biology, sociology, physiology, and psychology of aging, as well as require a practicum experience working with older adults.

Courses are taught by faculty in a number of different disciplines such as: departments of Biology, Sociology, Psychology, English, Philosophy and Religion, and Communications within the College of Arts and Sciences. Additional courses may be taught by faculty from the schools of Nursing and Social Work within the College of Health and Human and Human Sciences and from the Cameron School of Business, and the Watson School of Education.

To learn more about the Gerontology Post-Baccalaureate Certificate requirements, visit the UNCW Graduate Course Catalogue.

Non-Degree: Graduate Certification, Teacher Certification and Licensure Students

In order to be eligible for federal student aid, students must:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking,
  • a Teacher Certification Program,
  • or enrolled as a Graduate Certification Student, taking classes required for admissions to a graduate program at UNCW.

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid is required to receive federal loan offers. Entrance counseling and Master Promissory Note completion is done at

Graduate and professional degree students may be eligible to receive aid from the following federal student aid programs:

  • Unsubsidized Loans-- Eligible students may borrow up to $20,500 per school year. Graduate and professional students enrolled in certain health profession programs may receive additional Unsubsidized Loan amounts each academic year.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans-- Eligible graduate and professional degree students who need to borrow more than the maximum unsubsidized loan amounts to meet their education costs may apply for a PLUS loan. A credit check will be performed during the application process at

Teacher Certification students are eligible for federal unsubsidized and/or subsidized student loans. Students enrolled in teacher certification programs must submit the Teacher Certification Form in addition to the FAFSA.

Graduate Certification students who are taking pre-requisite course in order to apply to or be admitted into a graduate program can receive federal unsubsidized and/or subsidized student loans with completion of the FAFSA and Graduate Certification Form.

Licensure students are not eligible for federal or institutional aid at UNCW. Apply for a private/non-federal loan online.

Visit the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for more information.