College of Arts & Sciences

Reinstatement Process for Previously Dismissed Students

If a student has been academically dismissed from UNCW and wishes to return, they need to be aware of the earlier deadlines and the extra materials they need to submit.

Earlier Deadlines:

  • October 1 for spring enrollment
  • March 1 for fall (or summer) enrollment
  • The committee will usually not approve a summer return because of the condensed timeline of the terms and the academic requirements that need to be met for continued enrollment

Steps to Take:

  1. Complete the Residency Classification only if you are claiming to be a North Carolina Resident
    • Once you complete the process, you will receive a Residency Certification Number (RCN)
    • You will add the RCN to your Re-Enrollment Application
    • All applications without a RCN will be labeled as out of state for tuition purposes
  2. Create a SeaLevel account
    • You may already have a SeaLevel Account when you first applied to UNCW and if so, you can log back in or click "Forgot Password?" to reset your password
    • Click on "Apply to UNCW" and then on "Online Application"
    • Follow the steps for Re-Enrolling Degree Seeking and enter your appropriate campus, college and degree information
  3. Write an Academic Personal Statement addressing:
    • What hindered your previous academic performance
    • Actions taken while away to improve your academic abilities and/or strategies
    • Strategies and resources you will use to return to good academic standing if allowed to return

  4. Develop an Academic Plan (if prompted to, open in Acrobat), showing the courses you plan to take and the term GPA you will strive to meet.
    • Draft your plan using your degree audit and academic transcript
    • If returning to previous major, you will then set up a meeting with your academic advisor or the chair of the department to discuss your plan and possibly make adjustments
    • If wanting to change your major, contact Maggie Bannon, the CAS Academic Services Coordinator, to discuss the new major, look over your plan and possibly make adjustments
    • Make sure you ask for a meeting well in advance of the application deadline due to busy schedules.  Waiting until the last minute is not a good indicator of your readiness to return and you may not get a meeting. 
  5. By the deadlines shown above, submit the Academic Personal Statement and Academic Plan to the Office of Admissions by one of the methods below:
    • Through this link 
    • By fax to 910.962.3038, attention Susan Thornhill