UNCW Department of Psychology - Strategic Plan
With our values, mission and vision as our guide we will pursue the following strategic goals and objectives.
Strategic Goal 1: Teaching
Enhance the lives of students through state of the art delivery of both the content and processes of psychological science and practice.
- O.1: Adhere to American Psychological Association Principles for Quality Undergraduate Education in Psychology and ensure a vertically aligned curriculum from General Psychology through Capstones.
- O.2: Ensure that students are prepared for the 21st century workforce through a focus on writing, critical thinking, information literacy, data analysis, and global citizenship.
- O.3: Function as a campus leader and model in applied learning
- O.4: Support faculty professional development in teaching.
- O.5: Ensure that the graduate curriculum prepares students to implement best practices in research, teaching and licensed clinical practice.
- O.6: Ensure that the department maintains and acquires adequate space to carry out our teaching and training mission.
Strategic Goal 2: Research
Empower faculty and students to create and disseminate meaningful, impactful knowledge in the field of psychology.
- O.1: Ensure continued development and support of a distinguished program of research in scientific psychology and function as a campus leader and model of research productivity
- O.2: Develop and support incentives for pursuing and obtaining grant funding for research.
- O.3: Create and support collaborative translational research activities.
- O.4: Develop and resource a program for departmental dissemination of faculty research.
- O.5: Ensure maximum utilization of applied learning/research space.
- O.6: Ensure that adequate space is acquired in order to meet anticipated growth in faculty research/ applied learning programs and to ensure competitiveness in obtaining external funding.
Strategic Goal 3: Development
Ensure ongoing flexibility in implementing the departmental mission through cultivation of opportunities for development and innovation.
- O.1: Create a structure and mechanism for fundraising.
- O.2: Explore means to utilize faculty expertise to generate department funds.
Strategic Goal 4: Community Engagement
Utilize departmental expertise to provide high impact, visible community engagement to enhance our community.
- O.1: Support faculty pursuit of community engagement projects.
- O.2: Support transdisciplinary collaborations with other professional training departments.
- O. 3: Promote awareness of these efforts to the UNCW community and beyond.
Strategic Goal 5: Governance
Foster an open, collegial and engaged system of faculty governance and service.
- O.1: Ensure current governance procedures reflect current departmental culture and direction.
- O.2: Ensure RTP criteria reflect current departmental expectations.
- O.3: Ensure that service expectations are divided appropriately by rank.
Strategic Goals approved by unanimous vote 4/25/13.