Don Habibi, Professor
Office: Bear Hall 280
Phone: (910) 962-3836
- Ph.D., Cornell University
- M.A., Cornell University
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, Magna Cum Laude
Areas of Expertise
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Legal Theory
- Nineteenth Century British Philosophy (Liberalism, Utilitarianism)
- Political Culture of the contemporary Middle East
- "Mill, Colonialism, and Empire," in Dale Miller and Christopher MacLeod, eds., The Blackwell Companion to John Stuart Mill, Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming.
- "The Indispensability of the Humanities for the 21st Century", Humanities 2016, 5(1) http://www.mdpi.com/2076-0787/5/1/11
- "Amartya Sen's Defense of Human Rights and the Challenge of Bentham," Theoria & Praxis 2:1 (August, 2014)
- "Amartya Sen's Strong Theory of Human Rights," Journal of Indian Philosophy and Religion, 17 (December, 2012), pp. 107-141.
- "The Proportionality Problem With Human Rights NGOs," in Thomas Cushman, ed., Routledge International Handbook on Human Rights (London: Routledge, 2012), pp. 548-559.
- "The Politicization of the International Human Rights Movement: A Utilitarian Critique," Journal of Human Rights, 6:1 (2007), pp. 3-35.
- "The Magic Moment: The Liminal, Distended Time Flashforward of Ambrose Bierce," The Ambrose Bierce Project Journal, 1:1 (Fall 2005) http://www.ambrosebierce.org/journal1habibi.htm.
- "The Experience of a Lifetime: Philosophical Reflections on a Narrative Device of Ambrose Bierce," Studies in the Humanities, 29:2 (December 2002), pp. 83-108.
- "Moral Thought vs. Imperialist Reality: J.S. Mill and India," Journal of Indian Philosophy and Religion, VII (October, 2002), pp. 1-43.
- "John Stuart Mill and the Ethic of Human Growth (Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001).
- "The Moral Dimensions of J.S. Mill's Colonialism," Journal of Social Philosophy, 30:1 (Spring, 1999), pp. 125-146.
- "Mill's Revisionist Utilitarianism," British Journal for the History of Philosophy, 6:1 (March, 1998), pp. 89-114.
- PAR 101: Invitation to Philosophical Thinking
- PAR 115: Introduction to Ethics
- PAR 211: Philosophy of Human Nature
- PAR 310: Legal Philosophy and Jurisprudence
- PAR 365: Topics in Philosophy and Film
- Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award, 1999
- Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award, 2003-2006