Theodore W. Burgh, Associate Professor
Office: Bear Hall 275
Phone: (910) 962-7660
- Ph.D., University of Arizona - Near Eastern Studies
- M.A., University of Arizona - Near Eastern Studies
- M.A., Howard University - Religious Studies
- B.A., Hampton University - Music
Areas of Expertise
- Hebrew Bible
- History of Israelite Religion
- Ethnology of Music in Ancient Israel
- Archaeology of Ancient Israel
- "Music Archaeology Annotated Bibliography" Oxford Bibliographies (forthcoming 2015)
- "Carl Engel's Perspective of the Hebrews and Their Music." In carl Engel --The Music of the Most Ancient Nations. Ekho Velag, Berlin (forthcoming 2014)
- Madaba Plains Project: Tall Jalul, 2009 Andrews University Seminary Studies (AUSS), Vol. 49, No. 2, 165-223. 2010
- Commentary "The Books of Samuel" in African Study Bible. In the Africana Bible. Fortress Press, 2009.
- "Music and Music Culture" in the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Nashville, Abingdon Press, 2008.
- "Lintel Inscription Tall Hisban, Field M, Square 5, 2001." with Keith Mattingly, Andrews University Seminary Studies, Vol. 43 no. 2, March 2006, 247-260.
- "Who's the Man?" Sex and Gender in Iron Age Israel Musical Performance. Near Eastern Archaeology Vol. 27, no. 3. September 2004 (The journal is behind in publications dates. Piece actually published in February 2006).
- Listening to the Artifacts: Music Culture in Ancient Israel/Palestine. New York: T&T Clark International/Continuum Press. 2006
- "Who's the Man?" Sex and Gender in Iron Age Israel Musical Performance. Near Eastern Archaeology 27.3 (September 2004, published February 2006).
- Mattingly, Keith and Theodore W. Burgh, "Lintel Inscription Tall Hisban, Field M, Square 5, 2001." Andrews University Seminary Studies 43.2 (March 2006): 247-260.
- "Ancient Music of Israel/Palestine: What are the Sources, and How Should We treat them?" Moving from the Specific to the General and Back Again." In Sources of Music in Ancient Israel/Palestine. Ed. Regina Randhofer. Orientwissenschaftliche Hefte 8/2003.
- "Music and Musical Instruments in the Hebrew Bible and Ancient Israel/Palestine." 2002.
- PAR 235: Introduction to Old Testament
- PAR 362: Archaeology of Ancient Israel
- PAR 495: History of Religion of Ancient Israel
- PAR 495: Music in Ancient Israel
- PAR 495: Psalms