Herbert Berg, Professor
Office: Leutze Hall 217
Phone: (910) 962-3701
- Ph.D., Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto
- M.A., Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto
- B.A., Religious Studies / Middle Eastern Studies - University of Waterloo
- B.Math., University of Waterloo
Areas of Expertise
- International Studies
- Method and Theory in the Study of Religion
Elijah Muhammad. Makers of the Muslim World, edited by Patricia Crone. Oneworld Publications, 2013.
"Failures (of Nerve?) in the Study of Islamic Origins." Failure and Nerve in the Study of Religion: Working with Donald Wiebe, edited by William E. Arnal, Willi Braun, Russell T. McCutcheon, 112–128. London: Equinox, 2012.
“The Essence of Essentializing: A Critical Discourse on ‘Critical Discourse in the Study of Islam’.” Method & Theory in the Study of Religion 24 (2012):1–20.
“Elijah Muhammad.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Islamic Studies, edited by Tamara Sonn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
“Nation of Islam.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Islamic Studies, edited by Tamara Sonn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
“The Needle in the Haystack: Islamic Origins and the Nature of the Early Sources.” In The Coming of the Comforter: When, Where, and to Whom? Studies on the Rise of Islam in Memory of John Wansbrough, edited by Basile Lourié, Carlos A. Segovia, Alessandro Bausi, 299–330. Piscataway, NJ: Gorgia Press, 2012.
“Elijah Muhammad’s Redeployment of Muhammad: Racialist and Prophetic Interpretations of the Qur’ān.” Transmission and Dynamics of the Textual Sources of Islam: Essays in Honour of Harald Motzki, edited by Nicolet Boekhoff-van der Voort, Kees Versteegh, and Joas Wagemakers, 321–345. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers, 2011.
Elijah Muhammad and Islam. New York: NYU Press, 2009.
INT 105 Introduction to International Studies
INT 490 Senior Seminar in International Studies
INT 292 Intensive Arabic I
INT 292 Intensive Arabic II
PAR 103 Introduction to Religion
PAR 103 Introduction to Religion (Learning Community)
PAR 230 Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
PAR 232 Asian Religions
PAR 325 Psychology of Religion
PAR 342 Evil and Suffering
PAR 343 Atheism and Unbelief
PAR 375 Introduction to Islam
PAR 376 Judaism
PAR 400 Philosophy, Religion, and Sex
PAR 495 Fundamentalism
PAR 495 The Qur'an in Translation
AM 317 America and Islam
FLL 292 Intensive Arabic for Reading
HONS America from the Outside
SHS 210 The Mind and the Body
GLS 510 Religion and Sex
GLS 520 Atheism and Unbelief
GLS 592 Evil and Suffering
GLS 592 Islam and America
- 2013 Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award
- 2012 Distinguised Teaching Professorship Award
- 2012 Board of Trustees Teaching Excellence Award
- 2011 The Office of International Programs: Global Citizenship Grant
- 2007, -10 & -11 Discere Aude Award for outstanding efforts in student mentoring.
- 2006 The Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award