Financial Aid

Sammy Seahawk in front of Warwick Center

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

All eligible students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line at in order to receive financial aid. The FAFSA is available for students to complete in early January for the new academic year. You must re-apply each year you are in school to receive financial aid.

How do I obtain a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)

Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aiddocuments. Create an FSA ID.

Is there a deadline for applying for Financial Aid?

UNCW has a priority filing date of March 1. We recommend this date for North Carolina Residents. The earlier you apply the greater your chances are for receiving grant dollars, if you are eligible.

If you miss the priority filing date, still complete the FAFSA. This is only a priority date not a final date to apply. When you complete the FAFSA you are applying for Federal, State and some University assistance. No additional application is necessary to apply for these awards.

What is UNCW's Federal School Code?

Our Federal School Code is 002984. This code is used to send your FAFSA information to UNC Wilmington.

What is verification?

Federal regulations require colleges to check the accuracy of the information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This process is referred to as Verification. The Verification process must be completed before financial aid can be awarded.

Why haven't I heard from UNCW about my financial aid?

Most likely the reason you have not received a financial aid award notification is:

  • We have not received your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information. Contact our office at 910-962-3177 form more information.
  • You have outstanding, unsatisfied requirements. Check SeaNet for outstanding requirements and complete them right away.
How will I be notified of my financial aid award?

Once your financial aid application has been processed and any outstanding requirements are satisfied, we will send notification of the award via UNCW email. The award information and any updates or changes to financial aid award are available for your review and response through SeaNet.

How do I use my financial aid to pay my bill?

Financial aid awards are awarded and disbursed (paid to your account) by term (fall, spring, etc.) All awards are disbursed electronically directly to your account, regardless of whether you have an outstanding balance at the time of disbursement. You are responsible for paying any charges not covered by your financial aid or for any charges that post after the disbursement has occurred. Remember, paper bills will NOT be mailed. The eBill reflects all charges and credits on your student account.

Do I need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note if I have accepted a Direct loan?

First time Direct loan borrowers will need to complete the Entrance Counseling session and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) at Sign in using your information and federal PIN number. Follow the step by step instructions for completing both the Entrance Counseling session and the MPN. If you have a prior federal direct loan, the loan entrance counseling and master promissory note requirements will update automatically once you have accepted your loan online and we certify your loan with direct lending services.

Can I use financial aid if I am living off-campus?

Yes.The financial aid cost-of-attendance budget includes a room and board allowance. The room and board allowance is the same for students, whether they live on- or off-campus.

What happens if I withdraw from class or classes?

Financial aid is awarded with the expectation that students will complete the semester for which aid was awarded.Students who are considering dropping classes, or withdrawing from UNCW, should contact the OSFA to discuss the matter.Some students may be required to return aid already disbursed to their accounts. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), Fostering Undergraduate Student Success (FUSS), and federal student loan repayment may become issues, as well.

I'm getting an outside scholarship. Will this affect my other aid?

In some cases, an outside scholarship can affect your other aid, often by reducing the loan amount that you are eligible to receive. As soon as you learn that you will receive an outside scholarship, please notify the Financial Aid Office by submitting an Outside Scholarship Notification Form (PDF) and a copy of the scholarship letter.

How will I receive my outside scholarship funds?

Your outside scholarship check will be processed by the Financial Aid Office and then forwarded to the Office of Student Accounts where it will be applied to your student bill. Most scholarship checks are sent directly to the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid. However, if you receive an outside scholarship check directly from the scholarship agency, you will need to endorse it, write your full name and University ID number on the front, and forward it to the financial aid office for processing.


Here is a comprehensive glossary of common financial aid terms in the document below. Feel free to use this document and information throughout your financial aid process. OSFA Glossary for FAA (PDF)