News and Events
About the Seahawk Warning Siren System
The Seahawk Warning Siren System is an outdoor emergency warning tool that the university uses in conjunction with a number of other tools, such as email, desktop, phone and text notifications, to communicate with the campus community during major emergencies.
UNCW students, faculty and staff may sign up to receive emergency notifications via phone:
Log into mySeaPort
Click Register to Receive UNCW Emergency Texts in the left-hand navigation
Provide/update personal information
UNCW Prepares Year Round for Hurricane Season
The university prepares year-round for hurricane season and asks that all departments, faculty and staff help ensure their safety and that of students by taking the following steps:
- Review emergency plans, including those specific to hurricane operations, and related materials on the UNCW hurricane website.
- Make sure all employees are familiar with safety information, provide training for new employees about hurricane preparation procedures, and print and post safety materials for employees with limited web access.
- Update staffing changes and emergency contact information.
- Ensure a supply of plastic trash bags is on hand for distribution to all staff to cover equipment and supplies in advance of a hurricane.
- Check emergency supply inventory. Order any needed items. Make personnel aware of these supplies and where they are stored.
- Remind all employees of key UNCW Alert communication tools used in the event of a hurricane emergency. Students, faculty and staff should check e-mail, the Emergency Information Hotline at 910.962.3991, the UNCW Alert website and local media for updates related to closings, schedule changes, issues with travel on campus or use of the Adverse Weather Policy.
- Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to voluntarily sign up for emergency notification messages. To do so, log into mySeaPort, click "Register to Receive UNCW Emergency Texts" in the left-hand navigation and provide/update personal contact information. This information will be used only for emergency notifications and periodic tests of the UNCW Alert system.
Be Safe on Campus
Designated as a Disaster-Resistant University, UNCW promotes a safe environment on campus through education, response and well-practiced plans for a variety of man-made and natural emergencies.
Updated Emergency Status HERE
UNCW Alert includes the nearly 20 different communications tools that the university may deploy during an emergency.
Pay attention to emails, text messages, phone calls and other communications from "UNCW Alert." They are official UNCW emergency updates.
Seek Info During a Campus Emergency
Each of the university's nearly 20 different UNCW Alert tools will be deployed as warranted by each unique emergency situation. Up-to-date information will be available via the above sources and one or more of the following:
- Emergency information hotline - call locally at 910.962.3991 or toll free at 888.657.5751
- Blast e-mails to the inboxes of students, faculty and staff - monitor campus email for updates and instructions during an emergency
- Emergency information website - www.uncw.edu/alert - housed outside of the UNCW server
- Emergency text messages and text-to-voice phone messages for students, faculty and staff - sign up in mySeaport in order to receive these messages
- University homepage - emergency updates may be added in the News & Events sections and an emergency scrolling banner may be launched
- Social media - emergency information will be posted on the official UNCW Facebook and Twitter pages
- Other UNCW Alert tools - visit the UNCW Emergency Tools Guide
Act When the Seahawk Warning Siren Sounds
- Seek shelter indoors. Close windows and doors.
- Seek information from the UNCW sources of communication (see below). Information will be posted and disseminate as soon as possible.
- Wait for an "all clear" siren or message.
- More information is available at www.uncw.edu/siren.
Get Help for a Personal Emergency
- Call 911
- State your name, location, phone number and details of the emergency.
- Provide first aid in a medical emergency, if trained to do so.
- More information is available on the UNCW Police website.
- In emergencies involving relationship violence, call 910.962.CARE or 910.512.4821 and refer to http://www.uncw.edu/care.