Remember to send any success stories you want to share as well. We want everyone to know all the good work being done in our region on dropout prevention!
Check back soon.
News & Information
Please check back for upcoming events and information.
- Eagle Academy:An Afterschool Academic Support/Tutoring Program
Carolina Forest International Elementary - Helen Gross, Principal
- Dropouts: The tip of the iceberg
- Meeting Student Needs with Reading Interventions
Trent Park Elementary School - Eleanor Bryan Patrick, Principal
- DC Virgo Preparatory Academy
Eric Irizarry, Principal
The Watson College of Education at UNCW and the Dropout Prevention Coalition of Southeastern North Carolina held an Education Symposium on December 5th from 1 to 4:30 pm at the Watson College of Education in Wilmington, NC. The Symposium, entitled "Innovative Ways to Engage Students in Learning", was designed to promote best practices in education and showcase success stories from our region.
The Symposium began with a keynote address by former North Carolina Senator Howard N. Lee, founder of the Howard N. Lee Institute for Equity and Opportunity in Education. The event featured four roundtable discussions with panelists from 15 successful regional school programs and community agencies. The panelists shared effective strategies on a wide range of topics including career and technical education, student mentoring, fostering student engagement through innovative use of technology and participation in the arts.
- The First Years – The Critical First Phase of Dropout Prevention
- Engaging DO Strategies
- Rural Center Presentation
- CROSSROADS:Partners in Drug Abuse Prevention
- Art Saves Lives: Creating a Culture of Confidence
- Dimensions of School Culture
- Eagle Academy: An Afterschool Academic Support/Tutoring Program
- The Ninth Grade Academy at Southern Vance HS
- Odyssey - Description of Odyssey Academy
- Odyssey Academy
- Jones Senior High School: A School of Transformation
- List of Conference Presenters
- How Did North Carolina High Schools Improve Their Graduation Rates?
Dr. Janna Robertson and Dr. Robert Smith
- Whose Responsibility is Dropout Prevention?
Dr. Kennedy Ongaga, Dr. William Sterrett, and Dr. Janna Robertson
Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
In collaboration with the Wilmington Housing Authority, UNCW, and the Dropout Prevention Coalition, more than 30 students graduated the Youthbuild program. more...