Praxis I/Core, Praxis II, & Massachusetts Tests for Education Licensure Tests
PRAXIS I/Core: You may only take either the Praxis 1/Core or the Praxis Core
(Scroll down for Praxis II & MTEL information.)
All students seeking admission into the Watson College of Education Teacher Education Programs are required to take and pass all three sections of PRAXIS I/Core, unless SAT or ACT scores allow exemption. Students must request that PRAXIS I/Core scores be sent to UNCW, even if the test is taken at the UNCW Testing Center.
Read this document completely. It is your responsibility to be prepared for the test.
Click on the titles below to expand the text.
- Praxis Deadlines
- Praxis 1/Core Information - Printable Version
- UNCW Testing Services: http://www.uncw.edu/testingservices/national/praxis1.html
- About Praxis 1/Core: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/praxisi
Testing Bulletin: http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/bulletin/
- Students with an SAT score of 1100 or higher (Math + Verbal) are exempt from the Praxis I/Core exam. The Writing SAT score is not counted in the total of 1100 needed for exemption. Students with SAT scores of less than 1100, but with SAT scores of 550 or higher on Verbal are exempt from Praxis I/Core Reading and Writing, SAT of 550 or higher on Math are exempt from Praxis I Math.
- Students with an ACT composite score of 24 or higher are exempt from the Praxis I/Core exam. Students with a composite score of less than 24, but with a score of at least 24 on the English test are exempt from the Praxis I/Core Reading and Writing, ACT of at least 24 on the Math test are exempt from the Praxis I/Core Math.
- Students are required to provide the Watson College of Education Associate Dean’s Office with official SAT or ACT scores, which they can access on file with UNCW/Watson on SeaNet.
- Under "Student Services & Finanacial Aid", click "Student Records". Click "Student Information". Click "submit" for the current term, then scroll to the bottom for "Test Score Information".
- Praxis 1/Core is offered in two forms: PPST (paper-based) or C-PPST (computer-based).
- There are three required sections for both tests: Reading, Writing, and Math
- Required passing scores for Praxis I are: Reading = 176 , Mathematics = 173, Writing = 173, or combined Score of 522; Required passing scores for Core are: Reading = 156 , Mathematics = 150, Writing = 162, or combined Score of 468
- You may only take EITHER the Praxis I (by June 1, 2013) or the Praxis Core test.
- Allow 4-6 weeks (minimum) for official test scores to arrive at the Watson College of Education. Students must request that UNCW be listed as a score recipient.
- Sign up for a test at www.ets.org. Local testing centers include: UNCW (weekdays) and Sylvan Learning Center (weekdays & weekends).
- Official Scores from ETS must be sent to UNCW.
- Current students should plan to take the Praxis I/Core before the end of first semester sophomore year.
- Transfer students should plan to take the Praxis I/Core prior to enrolling at UNCW or early in the first semester at UNCW.
- Computer Based Testing
- An examinee may take each computer-delivered Praxis test only once per 21 consecutive days. This policy applies even if the examinee canceled the scores on a test taken previously. A student can take each part of the test a maximum of 6 times in a twelve month period.
- Unofficial scores are available for student viewing immediately for Math and Reading. However, official scores needed for Watson admission may take as long as 6 weeks to arrive.
- Paper Based Testing
Offered limited times & dates. See www.ets.org.
- Take the computer-based version of the test. It offers greater flexibility with scheduling.
- We recommend that students take a maximum of two sections of the test per day. Pick your best two areas and then take the third area on a separate day.
- To get a combined testing discount, schedule and pay for all tests together.
- Accommodations can be made for students with disabilities by special request.
- Fee Waiver- if you are receiving Financial Aid and are enrolled in the university, you may be eligible to receive a fee waiver, but you must apply with ETS well in advance. Fee waivers are only offered through ETS.
- DO NOT FORGET, students MUST request that their Praxis I/Core scores be sent to UNCW since this is not automatically done, even if the tests are taken on the UNCW campus. An additional fee is charged to have official scores sent at a later date.
- Arrive at the test site at least 30-minutes prior to your test time. Late arrivals are not allowed to enter the testing room once the test has begun.
- Test takers must bring all appropriate and required materials to the test. This includes (but not limited to): 2 appropriate forms of picture ID, pencils, sweaters/coats, etc.
- Test takers are expected to be prepared and behave in a professional manner. UNCW will not tolerate inappropriate or unprofessional behavior by exam test takers.
- READ the Praxis I/Core nformational Bulletin COMPLETELY before coming to take the test- it provides vital and useful information. It is available at www.ets.org/praxis1.
- Be well-rested & eat before taking the exam, this allows you to concentrate on the test rather than your hunger and/or sleep.
- Read the question(s) first, before you begin reading the passage(s) - this allows you to know what information you need to look for. Make sure you know what the question is asking.
- Note that each section is timed, work at an appropriate speed.
- Answer the questions you know first, then eliminate answers you know are incorrect, narrowing down your correct choices.
- Answer every question.
- Learning Express (Skills Improvements & Practice Tests)- Take a Praxis 1/Core practice test and get recommended learning tutorials based on your score!
Instructions: Go to http://library.uncw.edu click on “Databases & Articles”, once there, Click L, then Learning Express Library. Click on “New User”, create a username and password. Your first login needs to be done on UNCW campus. Type “Praxis 1/Core ” in the search box. There are two full length Praxis 1/Core practice tests. Once you complete the test and it is scored, you will be directed to free learning tutorials to improve your skills.
- ETS Praxis Website: www.ets.org/praxis1. You will find "tests at a glance" and helpful links including how to prepare for the Praxis1.
- Study Guides/Practice Books: Available in the UNCW bookstore, websites (such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble), and through the UNCW Library Reserves Area.
- Praxis 1/Core Preparation Course (online) See: http://www.ed2go.com/webu/ . Courses begin each month and last for 6 weeks. Cost is $99.
- Praxis II will be required for all applicants for an initial teaching license as mandated by the recent legislative action. The State Board of Education approved the recommendation that the policy will go into effect for candidates completing licensure/program requirements on/after July 1, 2014.
- NCDPI has not yet made the determination as to whether or not students completing programs in Summer I 2014 will be exempt from the Praxis II (grades post June 23, degrees post late July).
- Candidates applying for initial licensure and wishing to add an additional licensure area will no longer be able to add the area via 24 hours of content. They will need to take the Praxis II.
- Individuals that already have a NC teaching license will be able to add-on additional areas with 24 hours of content.
- On December 6, 2012, the State Board of Education approved the proposal to change the testing requirements for teachers applying for an Elementary or Special Education – General Curriculum license in NC on or after July 1, 2014. Additional information can be found at http://www.nc.nesinc.com/.
- “M” Level Pay Changes:
Beginning in 2014-2015, educators will no longer be eligible for the 10% enhanced pay associated with Masters, 6-year, or Doctorate Degrees. However, educators who are receiving this pay prior to 2014-2015 will be grandfathered and their pay will be unchanged.