The Department of Computer Science (College of Arts and Sciences) is located in the Computer Information Systems (CIS) building that opened in 2007, a 51,731 square-foot state-of-the-art facility funded by the North Carolina State Bond campaign of 2000 at a cost of $12.8 million.
The CIS building contains several state of the art labs including a Digital Arts lab and a networking lab, research facilities, fully-equipped "smart" classrooms, and a 128 seat auditorium. The CIS building also features several "sandboxes" - small conference rooms equipped with plasma displays that are often used by students collaborating on projects. Dedicated server rooms in the building house computing equipment that supports teaching and research in computer science, and virtually all computer science classes are taught in classrooms in the building.
Also located in the CIS building are offices for computer science faculty and graduate students, and a well-furnished student lounge complete with plasma TV!
- 12 cluster nodes with 192 cores and 1.5 TB memory connected with a 10 Gb storage and 56 Gb Infiniband network.
- 3 GPU nodes with 40 CPU cores, 750 GB memory, and 16,640 CUDA cores.
- Sun Grid Engine
- Globus Toolkit
- Matlab plus toolboxes
- GCC, Java, Fortran 77, Prolog, lisp and other programming languages
Servers & Storage
- ZFS NAS/SAN 7.0 TB (10 gigabit Ethernet backbone)
- ZFS NAS/SAN 12 TB (10 gigabit Ethernet backbone)
- VMWare Server with Linux and Windows distributions
- Cisco Catalyst series switches
- Juniper Firewall
- Assorted Windows/Linux computers
- Private internal network with separate outside connection off campus network
- Cisco Academy hardware including switches, routers and firewalls
- Cables, tools, hubs and other network lab equipment
Digital Arts Lab
- 17 x 21 inch iMacs
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- 2 - 21" Cintiq Graphics Table
- 42" HDTV
- Makerbot Replicator 2 3D printer
- Makergear M2 3D printer
Standard Classroom/Lab Computers
- BR 165
- 35 iMac running bootcamp
- CIS 2004
- 20 Optiplex 9020
- CIS 2006
- 35 Optiplex 9020
- CIS 2055
- 12 Optiplex 9010