More Upcoming Events
- October 16, 2014, 4 p.m. - How to Overcome the Never Ending Maybe in the Sales Process (RSVP to email@example.com)
- October 23, 2014, 4 p.m. at Lumina Theater - Entrepreneurship Week Keynote Presentation with Tom Lotrecchiano and Joe Schmidt of Entremanureship - What business schools don't teach you about entrepreneurship (RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org)
CIE in the News
- Wilmington startups represented at technology awards in Raleigh - Star News, 10.11.14
- 6 To Grow On: Leaders Tackling Garner Recommendations - GWBJ, 10.10.14
- Silicon Valley Tools for Wilmington's Beach Startups - ExitEvent, 10.09.14
- Startup Aims To Tidy Up Cleaning Services - GWBJ, 10.01.14
- Bob Creeden - Help attract technology to coast - Star News, 10.01.14
- NC IDEA picks 19 startups for next step in grant process - WRAL Tech Wire, 09.30.14
- Tech Venture Conference Proves Helpful For Local Companies - GWBJ, 09.22.14
- UNCW Entrepreneur Center Uses $50,000 Grant to Support Coastal Start-Ups - Time Warner Cable News, 09.15.14
- Center for Innovation wins accelerator grant - Lumina News, 09.10.14
- SXSW's Forrest revs coastal entrepreneurs - Lumina News, 09.10.14
- 11 Bullish Beachside Businesses - Exit Event, 09.08.14
- UNCW's CIE celebrates one-year anniversary, $50,000 grant award - Port City Daily, 09.08.14
- Tech Startups Take Stage at Wilmington Entrepreneurship Conference - Xconomy, 09.05.14
- UNCW CIE Opens CORAL, An Open Device Lab for Mobile App Testing - WHQR, 09.05.14
- CIE Among Winners Of National SBA Award - GWBJ, 09.05.14
- UNCW innovation center wins grant - Star News, 09.05.14
- Coastal Connect Entrepreneur and Capital Conference kicks off - Star News, 09.04.14
- UNCW Brings Innovators and Investors Together - Time Warner Cable, 09.04.14
- SXSW Interactive Director Shares Tips With Local Entrepreneurs - GWBJ, 09.04.14
- UNCW entrepreneur incubator celebrates anniversary - Star News, 08.29.14
- How old do you really look? FaceMyAge has an app for that - WRAL TechWire, 08.29.14
- Next Glass to expand from business incubator space to downtown headquarters - Port City Daily, 08.28.14
- Next Glass To Open HQ Downtown - GWBJ, 08.27.14
- UNCW Professor Pioneers Face Aging Technology - WHQR, 08.25.14
- Opinion-Entrepreneurship: Impacting A Vital Wilmington - GWBJ, George Taylor, 08.22.14
- Reinventing eye surgery - Lumina News, 08.20.14
- Business of Beer: Challenging, Costly and Friendly - Exit Event, 08.13.14
- Experts: Beer Making A Demanding But Rewarding Pursuit - GWBJ, 08.12.14
- Area craft brewers discuss the business of beer - Port City Daily, 08.12.14
- N.C. brewmeisters discuss burgeoning craft - Star News, 08.11.14
- Conference To Showcase 2 Local Startups - GWBJ, 08.08.14
- CED Announces 18 ‘Showcase Companies’ To Be Featured on Main Stage at Tech Venture Conference As Key Examples of ‘Rise of the Rest’ Phenomenon - 08.07.14
- Wilmington's First Maker Space On The Way - GWBJ, 08.06.14
- October 16, 2014, 4 p.m. - How to Overcome the Never Ending Maybe in the Sales Process
- September 4, 2014, 8:45 a.m. - Coastal Connect Entrepreneur and Capital Conference
- August 11, 2014, 4 p.m. - The Business of Beer at the Beach - David Gardner, Angel Investor for Fortnight Brewing Company, Dino Radosta of White Street Brewing Company, and Derek Allen and Hayley Wells of Ward and Smith, P.A. were here to discuss the growing business of microbreweries in North Carolina. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, Ward and Smith, P.A and Port City Brew Bus.
- August 8, 2014, 4 p.m. - Seahawk Bored Meeting - CIE partnered with the traditional Seahawk Bored Meeting to learn about Elite Innovations' Maker Space in Wilmington. A 6,000 square-foot facility is being outfitted with all the prototyping equipment makers/inventors would need to turn their ideas into working products and possibly even take them to market.
- July 17, 2014, 4 p.m. - Tom Fisher, Senior VP & CIO of Cloud at Oracle Corp. - Fisher has worked with some of the tech titans of the world and for some of the largest tech companies in the world such as IBM, Gateway Computer, eBay and Qualcomm. He is now the senior vice president and CIO of the cloud for Oracle. Tom is a proud NC native, UNC Charlotte graduate and a technology rock star and investor. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, Carlyle & Conlan.
- June 19, 2014, 4 p.m. - Early Angels, Angel Groups and Venture Capitalists - Need investor capital for your business? Attend this discussion with John Cambier from Idea Fund Partners, Mike Rhoades from Wilmington Investor Network and Tobin Geatz from Seahawk Innovation Funds. Discussion moderated by Tracy Harris, GCM Grosvenor. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, UBS, Pearson Patterson & Smith Wealth Management.
- May 29, 2014 - NCTA Tech Tour - An initiative of the North Carolina Technology Association to highlight both the statewide impact of the Assocation and the vibrancy of the tech sector. This was NCTA's second tour of Wilmington.
- May 22, 2014 - Greater Wilmington Business Journal Coastal Entrepreneur Awards - The winners listed below were honored at a large awards breakfast. The overall winner for 2014 was Next Glass.
- May 13, 2014 - Internship Summit - The UNCW Career Center hosted a presentation and panel discussion on the new Certified Internship Program, legal updates on internships and how to create a great internship program.
Cape Fear Clinic — www.capefearclinic.org (Non-Profit)
DocsInk — www.docsink.com (Emerging Company)
National Speed — www.nationalspeedinc.com (Retail)
Next Glass — www.nextglass.co (Internet-Related Company)
Odyssey Fire Protection — www.odysseyfire.com (Manufacturing & Distribution)
Quality Chemical Laboratories — www.qualitychemlabs.com (Biotechnology)
SIVAD Business Solutions — www.sivadsolutions.com (Technology)
TOZAL — www.tozalrx.com (Health Care)
Wilmington Area Rebuilding Industry — www.warmnc.org (Non-Profit)
Without Limits — www.iamwithoutlimits.com (Services)
- April 24, 2014 - The Big 5 Employers: Pains That Keep Us Up at Night
- Talking pain points: What keeps employers up at night - WRALTechWire, 04.25.14
- UNCW event aims to link entrepreneurs with major corporations - Star News, 04.24.14
- Cape Fear Region's Largest Employers Share Needs with Local Entrepreneurs - WHQR, 04.24.14
- Companies Discuss Challenges; Ask For Solutions - GWBJ, 04.24.14
- April 15, 2014 - innovat!on fund North Carolina - Tony Mifsud of the Innovation Fund North Carolina (Kauffman Foundation) based in Hickory, N.C., presented on who should apply, how to apply, and why to apply for funding with the Innovation Fund of North Carolina. CIE Tenant GO2 recently earned $75,000 from this fund.
- March 25, 2014 - Innovation and Entrepreneurship with the Military - Speakers included: Brad Guay, U.S. Army Research Office; John Pannacione, Logic Bay; TA Mickey Finn, North Carolina Military Business Center
- February 20, 2014, 4 p.m. - Connecting with Connectors: Building a Bridge from the Coast to the Triangle - Speakers included: Larry Steffan, Wireless Resource Center of North Carolina; Merrill Mason, Smith Anderson Law; Michelle Calton, North Carolina Technology Association; Bob Creeden, Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network. They discussed the basics of entrepreneurial development and the building blocks of a technology economy and how to connect to NC resources.
- February 18, 2014, 7:30 a.m. - Wilmington Area IT Professionals Breakfast Panel: Status of Software Development and Innovation in Wilmington - Our panelists came from a variety of backgrounds with experience from working for large organizations to smaller consulting/contracting firms to start up IT industries. Panelists included John Berry (IBM), Tanner Clayton (WaveRider), Forrest Maready (NextGlass.co) and Ron Vetter (UNCW).
February 7, 2014, 12 p.m. - NC IDEA Spring 2014 Grant Cycle - NC IDEA visited Wilmington to speak on how to apply for a grant, what they look for in an application and what types of companies are eligible for funding. Justin Beard of SnapYeti and a UNCW graduate is a recent NC IDEA grant winner who presented at the program as well. Check out this video of SnapYeti and the CIE on Time Warner Cable News!
- January 16, 2014, 4 p.m. - 3D Printing with Tom Kurke (GeoMagic) and local General Electric engineers - Former President of GeoMagic, Inc. which sold to 3D Systems for $55 million. According to reports, 3D printing will be a 6 billion dollar industry by 2017. Tom discussed the potential of advanced manufacturing within the local and US economy.
- November 19, 2013, 5:30 p.m.
2013 Discovery Forum, Cobblestone Hall, Raleigh, NC
Program included a presentation from our very own Alex Vidor, CEO and Co-Founder of Social Pathway Solutions, LLC
- Monday, Nov. 18, 12:30 p.m. – The Basics of Crowdfunding – CIE
Crowdfunding, a trend in very early stage funding, was founded by San Francisco-based Indiegogo. 803 S. College Road was the first stop on Indiegogo's North Carolina tour. Breanna DiGiammarino, education, research and social innovation director at Indiegogo, discussed the basics of crowdfunding.
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, 5:30 p.m. – Rocket Pitch – CIE
Don Rainey of Grotech Ventures (LivingSocial in portfolio) and Norvell Miller of Southeast Interactive (How Stuff Works in portfolio) and Cameron Executive Network—discussed their experiences, investing interests and advice for coastal NC companies. Two coached and prepared companies, Next Glass and Social Pathway Solutions, in different startup stages had ten minutes each to Rocket Pitch to the audience about their exciting opportunities.
- Wednesday, Oct. 23, 5:30 p.m. – The Secrets to Success – Presented by Scott Moody – Lumina Theater
Scott Moody built AuthenTec, which was sold for $356 million and became the fingerprint security features on the new iPhone. As the founder and managing director of First Talent Ventures, a venture fund based in Raleigh, and a venture partner at Stonehenge Capital, Moody is a powerhouse in the Raleigh and Durham technology communities, including as a Groundworker-in-Residence at Groundwork Labs. Moody shared insights into the personal passion and sacrifices necessary to succeed in the current economy.
- Oct. 17 – Successful SBIR Grant Application Workshop – Presented by John Ujvari of the SBTDC
Did you know 1 out of 8 companies who receive a SBIR/STTR grant are able to attract venture capital investments? Did you know investors use SBIR grants to serve as a qualifier about barrier to entry, as a measure of innovative uniqueness and a measure of the size of the marketplace? Did you know the SBIR grants are considered non-dilutive equity and grants range from $150,000-$1.5 million? John Ujvari presented to a room full of area innovators and entrepreneurs
- Sept. 25 – Wilmington Techworking – Hosted by NCTA
Don’t just network…techwork. The North Carolina Technology Association (NCTA) brings together members and the greater technology community for networking in a more casual and social atmosphere. Connect, build relationships, increase visibility and have fun doing it! NCTA traveled from the mountains to the coast celebrating the vibrancy of the tech sector in NC and stopped at the CIE for the final leg of the tour.'
- Sept. 19 - Entremanureship -- Guest Speakers, Tom
Lotrecchiano and Joe Schmidt
Tom Lotrecchiano and Joe Schmidt presented their sales, marketing and e-commerce experiences at the CIE in September. Lotrecchiano and Schmidt find great joy in sharing their journey of being entrepreneurs over the last 15 years with businesses such as Art.com and CanvasonDemand.com. Art.com had an initial public offering on Wall Street and CanvasonDemand.com was acquired by CafePress. Tom and Joe were Ernst & Young Entrepreneurs of the Year finalists in 2008 and CanvasonDemand was included in the INC 500.
They have delighted thousands during their public presentations, stories about their business adventures which range from hilarious to heart-wrenching. They refer to their shrewd (and sometimes outrageously unconventional) wisdom gained from a combination of education and real-life experiences as Entremanureship!
For more information, visit Entremanureship.
- Aug. 21 – NC IDEA Fall 2013 Wilmington Info Session
NC IDEA officials traveled to Wilmington to kick-off their Fall 2013 Grant Cycle and provided potential grant applicants an overview of the grant process and eligibility criteria. Participants learned more on how to apply for a grant, what NC IDEA looks for in an application and what types of companies are eligible for funding.
Jan. 23 - Your Credit is Your Business -- Guest Speaker, Tom Gordon
Mr. Gordon, a former employee in the consumer information industry with over 21 years of experience with Equifax, shed light on the inner workings of the credit bureaus and discussed how personal credit affects your business and steps you can take to improve your business credit profile.