2015 Upcoming Events
CIE in the News
- Lapetus Secures Funding, Plans Pilot Tests - GWBJ, 06.08.15
- UNCW's CIE celebrates growth, looks ahead to future leadership - Port City Daily, 05.26.15
- The new face of aging: UNCW professor turns life expectancy research into business - Port City Daily, 05.18.15
- Putting Buzzwords To Work - GWBJ, 05.18.15
- UNCW student has dream of green gym - Star News, 05.11.15
- Flippze Focuses On Student Users - GWBJ, 05.08.15
- UNCW Officials Look at CIE's Future - GWBJ, 03.27.15
- Tick-killing robot inventors open business office in Wilmington - Triangle Business Journal, 03.05.15
- UNC Wilmington Focuses on Building Region's Biotech and Medical Industries - Time Warner Cable News, 02.26.15
- Wireless Technology Goes To The Dogs - GWBJ, 02.17.15
- Why a new focus on entrepreneurship in Wilmington? - WRAL TechWire, 02.09.15
- Wilmington-based company says it's built a better baby bottle - Star News, 02.07.15
- 2014: Wilmington Proved It's a Town for Tourists And Startups - ExitEvent, 12.31.14
- UNCW's CIE Supports Veterans on the Road to Entrepreneurship - UNCW, 12.22.14
- Event Explores Social Marketing, Celebrates 'great' Year For Center - GWBJ, 12.18.14
- June 25, 4 p.m., CIE- Self-Mentoring: From Start-Up to Success - Marsha Carr, an entrepreneur who made all the mistakes and still succeeded, shared tips to navigate the pitfalls of a start-up, including product development, trademarks, web domains and marketing. Missed the presentation? See the full video here!
- May 28, 4:00-7:00 p.m., CIE - The Coastal Entrepreneurial Ecosystem: It’s Not a Jungle Out There - Representatives from the CIE, Seahawk Innovation, Elite Innovations, tekMountain, Ignition, and the Small Business and Technology Development Center discussed the region's entrepreneurial ecosystem. Attendees learned how it supports innovators, entrepreneurs and businesses in the Wilmington area and sustains both incubator and accelerator resources necessary for continued growth. Check out the video from the event here!
- May 7, 4:00-7:00 p.m., CIE - Jim Harvey's entrepreneurial spirit combined with a passion for helping customers succeed, drive him to help developers market and monetize their apps. In celebration of UNCW's commencement activities, Jim, a UNCW graduate, was here to tell his story and share his experiences in business and in life since leaving UNCW.
- Thursday, March 26, 4 p.m., CIE - Building a successful product and innovation based company in NC - With the growth of the partnership between CIE and the MakerSpace, the MakerSpace has over 20 new product based companies in Wilmington from a Bluetooth based pet dish to a potential solution for COPD victims. Aly Khalifa, Founder of Gamila Products/Design Box spoke about his experience.
- Wednesday, March 11, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., CIE - TriMech 3D Printer Lunch & Learn - TriMech 3D Printer Lunch & Learn where attendees had the opportunity to meet Stratasys representatives, network with business professionals and learn more about the latest 3D printing technologies and services offered.
- Thursday, February 26, 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., at MARBIONC at CREST Research Park - Growing
Life Sciences in Wilmington, Breakfast Event Five-minute value proposition pitches - 12 local early stage life science companies
Resources needed to grow the industry Panelists included: Dr. John Hardin, Executive Director for the North Carolina Board of Science, Technology & Innovation; John Ujvari, SBIR Program Specialist with the North Carolina SBTDC; Rick Hill and Paul Wyatt of NC Commerce Moderated by: Deb Mosca, Marine Bio-Technologies Center of Innovation Securing financing Panelists included: Mike Rhoades, Wilmington Investor Network; Bob Creeden, former Blackstone Entrepreneur Network; Rik Vandevenne, River Cities Capital Funds Moderated by: Gary Hayes, COO, Managing Director and Co-Founder of Scale Finance Corporate partners Panelists included: Sam Tetlow, EpiCypher and former VC with Research Triangle Ventures; Dr. Austin Yeargan; Joe Ruiz, Small
Business Innovative Research Grant Writer | Emerging Biotech R & D Specialist Moderated by: Alexander C. Dale, Ward and Smith, P.A.
- Beginning February 17, CIE - Boot Camp for Entrepreneurs - An 8-session, 3-month long boot camp open for 12 participants. REGISTRATION IS FULL - to be considered for the next Boot Camp, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 22, 5 p.m., CIE - Startup 2015 on the Right Path -The CIE’s primary goal is to help entrepreneurs start on the right path. Early fundamental mistakes can kill a company fast. 70% of startups fail in the first 3 to 5 years, but when given help with the basics, 70% succeed, according to Kauffman Foundation. Panelists included: Adam Beaudoin, Ward and Smith, P.A.; Lauren McKenzie, Adam Shay CPA; Chip Royce, founder/principal, Flywheel Advisors Inc. and was moderated by Adam Burke, entrepreneur/investor.
- Every Wednesday, 8:30 a.m., CIE - High Tide Breakfast - Two 6 minute value proposition pitches from two startups and one introduction to a local or visiting mentor. Students and community are welcome to help building our startup community. RSVP to: email@example.com
- December 16, 4 p.m., CIE - Social Marketing Leads to Raising the Next Glass at CIE Social Gathering - How did Next Glass use social marketing to push into 100,000 downloads in 48 hours? Panelists included Josh Harcus, Huify; Mandy Curtin and Robyn Deely, Next Glass; Jamie Mottram, For the Win and was moderated by Jeanne Persuit, assistant professor of communication studies at UNCW. A reception followed celebrating our successes that contributed to a GREAT year for CIE. This event was hosted in partnership with the UNCW Swain Center and Next Glass. Thank you to our event sponsor: Wide Open Technologies.
- November 19, 4 p.m., CIE - TechTalk - Internet of Things with Scott Moody - TechTalk is a free quarterly series for the tech industry hosted by WaveRiver, Inc. Scott Moody was the featured guest. Moody is the previous co-founder of AuthenTec which was aquired by Apple in 2012 (the only public company ever acquired by Apple). You now know their products as the Touch ID featured on the iPhone 5s-6 Plus. It is that same focus on the consumer, on making lives better, that forms the foundation of Moody's current company, K4Connect.
- October 23, 2014, 4 p.m. - Entremanureship: "What business schools don't teach you about entrepreneurship"
- October 16, 2014, 4 p.m. - Overcome the "Never-Ending Maybe" in the Sales Process - The original way to grow your company and make more money is to sell more products. A huge challene in sales in a convervative market is overcoming the "never-ending maybe," or how prospects delay decision-making until you stop asking. Attendees learned better qualifying skills to improve sales results with prospects and even potential investors from the experts at Accelerence.
- September 4, 2014, 8:45 a.m. - Coastal Connect Entrepreneur and Capital Conference
- August 11, 2014, 4 p.m. - The Business of Beer at the Beach - David Gardner, Angel Investor for Fortnight Brewing Company, Dino Radosta of White Street Brewing Company, and Derek Allen and Hayley Wells of Ward and Smith, P.A. were here to discuss the growing business of microbreweries in North Carolina. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, Ward and Smith, P.A and Port City Brew Bus.
- August 8, 2014, 4 p.m. - Seahawk Bored Meeting - CIE partnered with the traditional Seahawk Bored Meeting to learn about Elite Innovations' Maker Space in Wilmington. A 6,000 square-foot facility is being outfitted with all the prototyping equipment makers/inventors would need to turn their ideas into working products and possibly even take them to market.
- July 17, 2014, 4 p.m. - Tom Fisher, Senior VP & CIO of Cloud at Oracle Corp. - Fisher has worked with some of the tech titans of the world and for some of the largest tech companies in the world such as IBM, Gateway Computer, eBay and Qualcomm. He is now the senior vice president and CIO of the cloud for Oracle. Tom is a proud NC native, UNC Charlotte graduate and a technology rock star and investor. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, Carlyle & Conlan.
- June 19, 2014, 4 p.m. - Early Angels, Angel Groups and Venture Capitalists - Need investor capital for your business? Attend this discussion with John Cambier from Idea Fund Partners, Mike Rhoades from Wilmington Investor Network and Tobin Geatz from Seahawk Innovation Funds. Discussion moderated by Tracy Harris, GCM Grosvenor. Thank you to our Event Sponsor, UBS, Pearson Patterson & Smith Wealth Management.
- May 29, 2014 - NCTA Tech Tour - An initiative of the North Carolina Technology Association to highlight both the statewide impact of the Assocation and the vibrancy of the tech sector. This was NCTA's second tour of Wilmington.
- May 22, 2014 - Greater Wilmington Business Journal Coastal Entrepreneur Awards - The winners listed below were honored at a large awards breakfast. The overall winner for 2014 was Next Glass.
- May 13, 2014 - Internship Summit - The UNCW Career Center hosted a presentation and panel discussion on the new Certified Internship Program, legal updates on internships and how to create a great internship program.
Cape Fear Clinic — www.capefearclinic.org (Non-Profit)
DocsInk — www.docsink.com (Emerging Company)
National Speed — www.nationalspeedinc.com (Retail)
Next Glass — www.nextglass.co (Internet-Related Company)
Odyssey Fire Protection — www.odysseyfire.com (Manufacturing & Distribution)
Quality Chemical Laboratories — www.qualitychemlabs.com (Biotechnology)
SIVAD Business Solutions — www.sivadsolutions.com (Technology)
TOZAL — www.tozalrx.com (Health Care)
Wilmington Area Rebuilding Industry — www.warmnc.org (Non-Profit)
Without Limits — www.iamwithoutlimits.com (Services)
- April 24, 2014 - The Big 5 Employers: Pains That Keep Us Up at Night
- Talking pain points: What keeps employers up at night - WRALTechWire, 04.25.14
- UNCW event aims to link entrepreneurs with major corporations - Star News, 04.24.14
- Cape Fear Region's Largest Employers Share Needs with Local Entrepreneurs - WHQR, 04.24.14
- Companies Discuss Challenges; Ask For Solutions - GWBJ, 04.24.14
- April 15, 2014 - innovat!on fund North Carolina - Tony Mifsud of the Innovation Fund North Carolina (Kauffman Foundation) based in Hickory, N.C., presented on who should apply, how to apply, and why to apply for funding with the Innovation Fund of North Carolina. CIE Tenant GO2 recently earned $75,000 from this fund.
- March 25, 2014 - Innovation and Entrepreneurship with the Military - Speakers included: Brad Guay, U.S. Army Research Office; John Pannacione, Logic Bay; TA Mickey Finn, North Carolina Military Business Center
- February 20, 2014, 4 p.m. - Connecting with Connectors: Building a Bridge from the Coast to the Triangle - Speakers included: Larry Steffan, Wireless Resource Center of North Carolina; Merrill Mason, Smith Anderson Law; Michelle Calton, North Carolina Technology Association; Bob Creeden, Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network. They discussed the basics of entrepreneurial development and the building blocks of a technology economy and how to connect to NC resources.
- February 18, 2014, 7:30 a.m. - Wilmington Area IT Professionals Breakfast Panel: Status of Software Development and Innovation in Wilmington - Our panelists came from a variety of backgrounds with experience from working for large organizations to smaller consulting/contracting firms to start up IT industries. Panelists included John Berry (IBM), Tanner Clayton (WaveRider), Forrest Maready (NextGlass.co) and Ron Vetter (UNCW).
February 7, 2014, 12 p.m. - NC IDEA Spring 2014 Grant Cycle - NC IDEA visited Wilmington to speak on how to apply for a grant, what they look for in an application and what types of companies are eligible for funding. Justin Beard of SnapYeti and a UNCW graduate is a recent NC IDEA grant winner who presented at the program as well. Check out this video of SnapYeti and the CIE on Time Warner Cable News!
- January 16, 2014, 4 p.m. - 3D Printing with Tom Kurke (GeoMagic) and local General Electric engineers - Former President of GeoMagic, Inc. which sold to 3D Systems for $55 million. According to reports, 3D printing will be a 6 billion dollar industry by 2017. Tom discussed the potential of advanced manufacturing within the local and US economy.
- November 19, 2013, 5:30 p.m.
2013 Discovery Forum, Cobblestone Hall, Raleigh, NC
Program included a presentation from our very own Alex Vidor, CEO and Co-Founder of Social Pathway Solutions, LLC
- Monday, Nov. 18, 12:30 p.m. – The Basics of Crowdfunding – CIE
Crowdfunding, a trend in very early stage funding, was founded by San Francisco-based Indiegogo. 803 S. College Road was the first stop on Indiegogo's North Carolina tour. Breanna DiGiammarino, education, research and social innovation director at Indiegogo, discussed the basics of crowdfunding.
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, 5:30 p.m. – Rocket Pitch – CIE
Don Rainey of Grotech Ventures (LivingSocial in portfolio) and Norvell Miller of Southeast Interactive (How Stuff Works in portfolio) and Cameron Executive Network—discussed their experiences, investing interests and advice for coastal NC companies. Two coached and prepared companies, Next Glass and Social Pathway Solutions, in different startup stages had ten minutes each to Rocket Pitch to the audience about their exciting opportunities.
- Wednesday, Oct. 23, 5:30 p.m. – The Secrets to Success – Presented by Scott Moody – Lumina Theater
Scott Moody built AuthenTec, which was sold for $356 million and became the fingerprint security features on the new iPhone. As the founder and managing director of First Talent Ventures, a venture fund based in Raleigh, and a venture partner at Stonehenge Capital, Moody is a powerhouse in the Raleigh and Durham technology communities, including as a Groundworker-in-Residence at Groundwork Labs. Moody shared insights into the personal passion and sacrifices necessary to succeed in the current economy.
- Oct. 17 – Successful SBIR Grant Application Workshop – Presented by John Ujvari of the SBTDC
Did you know 1 out of 8 companies who receive a SBIR/STTR grant are able to attract venture capital investments? Did you know investors use SBIR grants to serve as a qualifier about barrier to entry, as a measure of innovative uniqueness and a measure of the size of the marketplace? Did you know the SBIR grants are considered non-dilutive equity and grants range from $150,000-$1.5 million? John Ujvari presented to a room full of area innovators and entrepreneurs
- Sept. 25 – Wilmington Techworking – Hosted by NCTA
Don’t just network…techwork. The North Carolina Technology Association (NCTA) brings together members and the greater technology community for networking in a more casual and social atmosphere. Connect, build relationships, increase visibility and have fun doing it! NCTA traveled from the mountains to the coast celebrating the vibrancy of the tech sector in NC and stopped at the CIE for the final leg of the tour.'
- Sept. 19 - Entremanureship -- Guest Speakers, Tom
Lotrecchiano and Joe Schmidt
Tom Lotrecchiano and Joe Schmidt presented their sales, marketing and e-commerce experiences at the CIE in September. Lotrecchiano and Schmidt find great joy in sharing their journey of being entrepreneurs over the last 15 years with businesses such as Art.com and CanvasonDemand.com. Art.com had an initial public offering on Wall Street and CanvasonDemand.com was acquired by CafePress. Tom and Joe were Ernst & Young Entrepreneurs of the Year finalists in 2008 and CanvasonDemand was included in the INC 500.
They have delighted thousands during their public presentations, stories about their business adventures which range from hilarious to heart-wrenching. They refer to their shrewd (and sometimes outrageously unconventional) wisdom gained from a combination of education and real-life experiences as Entremanureship!
For more information, visit Entremanureship.
- Aug. 21 – NC IDEA Fall 2013 Wilmington Info Session
NC IDEA officials traveled to Wilmington to kick-off their Fall 2013 Grant Cycle and provided potential grant applicants an overview of the grant process and eligibility criteria. Participants learned more on how to apply for a grant, what NC IDEA looks for in an application and what types of companies are eligible for funding.
Jan. 23 - Your Credit is Your Business -- Guest Speaker, Tom Gordon
Mr. Gordon, a former employee in the consumer information industry with over 21 years of experience with Equifax, shed light on the inner workings of the credit bureaus and discussed how personal credit affects your business and steps you can take to improve your business credit profile.