- StarLab Workshop - 9/12/15
- **Coastal Explorations Workshop - 9/18/15 (Open to UNCW EVS Students only)
- Recycling & MRF Workshop - 9/19/15
- Nuclear Technology & Radition Workshop - 9/26/15
- ** Project WILD Workshop - 10/16/15 (Open to UNCW EVS Students only)
Professional Development Workshops
For more information about the types of programs we offer please see Workshop Descriptions!
This past year, CESTEM hosted 25 professional development (PD) programs and outreach activities and served 518 participants, totaling 5,875 of contact hours of instruction, with most awarded licensure renewal or graduate credit hours.
CESTEM will maintain the number of Professional Development (PD) opportunities, participants served, and contact hours offered to our partners; continue to market PD opportunities more directly to UNCW students, teacher candidates and K-12 teachers in the classrooms; and begin efforts to engage social media (Facebook, Twitter, Website) to increase PD workshop awareness and interest.
CESTEM Fall Saturday Workshop Series
StarLab Workshop: Sat. 9/12/15 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Recycling & MRF Workshop: Sat. 9/19/15 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Nuclear Technology & Radiation: Sat. 9/26/15 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
UNCW Environmental Studies Workshops
**These workshops are being held primarily for UNCW EVS Students as they are being sponsored by the UNCW Dept. of Environmental Studies.
Coastal Explorations Workshop: Friday 9/18/15 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Project WILD Workshop: Friday 10/16/15 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
- To register for one of the programs listed in Workshop Descriptions, please complete the CESTEM online registration form, unless otherwise indicated. For additional information, please call the Center at (910) 962-3168 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration fees are due at least 14 days prior to the start of the workshop. Please send a check, payable to CESTEM, to 601 S. College Rd. Wilmington, NC 28403-5976. Payments exceptions will be made to pay fees after the new fiscal year with written approval from a school administrator with fiscal authority.
- Registration fees are refundable if cancellations are received 15 days prior to the first day of the workshop. A $25 processing fee will be charged. After the cancellation deadline, no refunds will be given. Participant substitutions may be made.
Rare Plants of North Carolina instructed by Dr. Alexander Krings of NC State: March 27, 2015
Through this workshop, students learned of the importance of rare, native flora of North Carolina and the Southeast, the causes and consequences of species rarity, and the impact of humans (both positive and negative). Outcomes of this workshop included:
- Knowledge of patterns in the flora in the Southeast and North Carolina
- Competence in identifying rare plants and habitats
- Understanding of the ecological requirements of species and communities
- Understanding of rarity, including its causes and consequences
- Informed, active participation in environmental management, improvement, and protection
This indoor, six hour workshop counted as Criteria 1 credit towards NCEE certification.
Aquatic WILD Training instructed by Mike Cambell an Outreach Education Specialist, NCWRC: April 7, 2015 and April 14, 2015
The University of North Carolina Wilmington Environmental Studies department and NCWRC offered a free workshop using the new Aquatic WILD activity guide.
The 6-hour Aquatic WILD workshop counted towards CEU credits and EE Criteria I credits. In addition to updating existing activities, the new guide contained field investigations, In Step With STEM activity extensions, connections to wildlife careers, new activities on fish conservation and angling, and an increased focus on outdoor activities.
Reading & Literacy in the STEM Classroom instructed by Dr. Sue Kezios & Ms. Kathryn Batten: March 21, 2015