University College Advising Toolbox

Campus Resources for Advisors

Campus Resources for Advisors

Expand All Sections Collapse All Sections

  • Career Center

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Assistant Director for Career Exploration

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors should send advisees to Career Center to pop-in, schedule an appointment or attend express hours.
    • Advisors should encourage advisees to speak with administrative staff at the front desk regarding access to the Kuder Journey Assessment and follow-up appointment with Career Center Staff
    • Career Center Administrative Staff will guide advisees (students) to appropriate Career Center staff member depending on their “career” or “major” exploration/interest.

    Career Center Website

  • Counseling Center

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors can send and/or walk student up to the counseling center for a consultation.
    • Students can expect to complete client assessment forms (which can only be accessed in the counseling center) prior to being seen by a licensed counselor.
    • If student(s) is in danger of harming themselves and/or someone else the counseling center recommends Advisors call 911.
    • For after hours (weekends, holidays or after 5pm) for a mental health crises, call the regular office number (910) 962-3746 and follow the options to reach an on call counselor. 
    • The counseling center is considered short-term counseling and it usually lasts one semester or less. The counseling center assists clients with off campus referrals.
    • The counseling center respects client confidentiality and privacy; confirmation of client/student appointments is not given to advisors.

      Counseling Center Website

  • CROSSROADS: Substance Abuse Prevention and Education Program

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • If the student is a threat or danger to him/herself or anyone else, call 911.
    • If the student is not an immediate danger to him/herself or anyone else, the advisor should choose a time and place when the student will be most receptive to the advisor’s conversation and concern about their behavior. This includes when the individual is not under the influence of any substance in a private setting.
    • Tell the person why you are talking to him or her.  This is a statement of concern and caring.
    • Describe the behavior you have seen; be specific as to the time, place and the behavior you witnessed.
    • Express your concern with this behavior.  What consequences, if any, will occur if it continues?
    • Do not expect a genuine resolution to change.  If an individual is using alcohol/drugs in a problematic way, denial will be high.
    • Many times it takes a variety of people responding to the problematic behavior on a continuous, repetitive basis.  Most of the time, those intervening lay the foundation for a later person to have the ultimate impact.
    • You may realize that you may not be the best person to talk with the student; in this case, someone else could be contacted to intervene. 
    • If you are sending a student to CROSSROADS, please reach out to their office (910.962.4135) and share some information about the nature of the situation so the student can receive the best support and care possible.
    • Students are allowed to drop-in to CROSSROADS, but appointments are preferred (via phone call).
    • Students are required to complete a short in-take form and then they are immediately sent to see a Substance Abuse Prevention and Education staff member.

    Crossroads Website

  • Dean of Students

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Dean of Students Office Case Manager

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors are encouraged to utilize the Faculty-Staff 911 Teal Folder when working with Disruptive Students
    • Advisors are encouraged to contact Amy if/when students express feelings or a situation that warrants interdisciplinary communication among university constituents to help create an environment for students which provides them access to resources which may optimize their success.
    • Advisors are encouraged to contact Amy if/when you receive communication from professors, staff and/or University constituents that causes concern for the student’s academic well-being.
    • Amy will follow-up will communicate with the student and/or student’s family (if necessary) as well as the student’s professors depending on the severity of the situation.
    • Amy will provide status reports to UC Advisors.
    • Starting Fall 2017 Amy will begin using an online behavioral reporting form.
    • If a student has been accused of violating the academic honor code the advisor should inform the student to consult with Dr. Chip Phillips or ODOS.
    • If a student has been accused of violating the code of student life the advisor should inform the student to consult with Bradley Davis or ODOS.  

    Dean of Students Website

  • Disability Services

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Testing Cordinator/Office Manager

    UC Expectation / Advice 

      • > Advisors can send and/or walk student to the disability resource center
      • > Advisors are welcome to sit in on DRCS meetings with the student 
      • > Students should expect to submit documentation of their disability from a licensed professional (documentation can include items such as – diagnosis, academic impact, professionals recommendation for accommodations).
      • > Students should expect to attend an orientation that explains policies and procedures of the office and then accommodation use (usually the last step of the process).  Students will receive accommodation letters from the DRCS to deliver to their faculty.
      • > Students can tentatively expect the process from initial meeting to orientation to last approximately 10 business days {provided student fulfills their obligations in a timely manner}.

      Disability Services Website

  • First-Year Students In Transition (FYSIT)

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Associate Director of University College 

    Website: N/A

    UC Expectation / Advice 

    • The FYSIT Team meets weekly on Friday’s.
    • Advisors use this committee to report low level student issues and/or concerns
    • Advisors are encouraged to log students of concern on the Excel Spreadsheet (located on the One Drive; see your Coordinator and/or Michelle for access)
    • Advisors should expect to receive status reports from FYSIT if/when they are available
    • Talk to a staff member and share it…  / Housing office checks spreadsheets
    • Advisors should let the FYSIT team know that an update was preferred.
  • Housing and Residence Life

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Associate Director of Housing

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • If there are concerns with students in the residence halls advisors can contact the Associate Director, Keith Wickliffe or speak directly to the Residence Coordinator (RC)
    • If students have questions about their housing contract they are encouraged to go directly to the HRL office, located directly across from campus recreation, next to Swartz Residence Hall.
    • If students disclose problems with their roommate they should refer back to HRL process; especially the roommate contract they completed with their Resident Assistant (RA).  If the issue cannot be resolved through reviewing the roommate contract and meeting with the R.A. the student is encouraged to communicate with the RC.
    • HRL DOES NOT Advertise this to students.  -- The RC has the ability to recommend an administrative room change, pending space availability (used as a last resort). Open room change process the beginning of each semester.
    • If students have a maintenance concern advisors should encourage students to go through the online process in MySeaport.  

    Housing and Residence Life Website

  • Office of the Registrar (transcripts, proof of attendance, transcript verification)

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Registrar's Student Records Coordinator

    UC Expectation / Advice 

      • Advisors can send students to the Registrar’s website and/or office in James Hall
      • Advisors should e-mail Naamah regarding issue(s) so she can respond accordingly.  Issues include but are not limited to general questions regarding registration, major changes, and grade changes. > For all other inquiries regarding Office of the Registrar, refer to the Whom Do I Contact website.
      • If a student is re-enrolling, advisors should meet with them, create an academic plan and send Susan Thornhill an e-mail requesting a time ticket and pin.

    Office of the Registrar Site

  • Office of International Programs

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Director of Education Abroad Office

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors are encouraged to begin having study abroad conversation with students as early as possible (at least a semester prior to student’s intended travel).
    • Advisors should communicate that this process is paper based (make sure students keep all forms and accurate records)
    • Utilize the OIP transient study form to help guide students through the process
    • Students can study abroad and take courses which can fulfill University Studies Core Curriculum (AIL, H&PA, MAT, FL, LIDN, LIGS, SCIENCE), Major Courses and Explorations Beyond the Classroom.
    • Students can work with OIP to complete International internships
    • Students can enroll in courses while abroad that are specific to the host institution.  UNCW will most likely count these types of courses as special topics courses (e.g. the course number will be designated as 294, 394, or 494).  The designation will be left up to each individual (UNCW) major department’s discretion.
    • After Advisors have a conversation with advisees regarding international course selections, major requirements, and graduation timeline, advisors are encouraged to sign the student’s OIP transient study form.  The advisee may be required to obtain additional signatures from UNCW departmental leaders).
    • OIP is researching the idea of working with some UNI courses with a global component to boost international travel and give students an opportunity to complete their information literacy component in early August (fall semester).  Students would be required to study abroad for a short period of time in early August.

    Office of International Programs

  • Scholarships & Financial Aid

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Student’s FIN Aid Counselor or E-mail Fred Holdings

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors can contact FIN Aid Dir. Fred Holding for urgent matters involving students
    • Advisors should know that FIN Aid sends students an e-mail detailing the scholarship and financial aid process. 
    • Students who are on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) have to meet with their UC Advisor to create an educational plan which will address their academic deficiency. 
    • Students who are on SAP must also complete an appeal formPlease see the sample e-mail document provided by Financial Aid.
    • If a student plans to withdraw from UNCW courses; especially if they do not complete at lease one course, please direct them to Financial Aid’s Return of Funds policy.
    • SAP e-mail to students

    Scholarships & Financial Aid Website

  • Student Behavioral and Intervention Team (SBIT)

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Associate Director of University College / Dean of Students Case Manager 

    Website: N/A

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • The SBIT committee meets every other week (Fridays)
    • Advisors use this committee to report high level student issues and/or concerns
    • Advisors are encouraged to e-mail names of students to Michelle Vliem and/or Dr. Anderson
    • Advisors will receive status reports from Michelle and/or Dr. Anderson (if and when appropriate)
  • Testing Services

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Testing Administrator 

    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Most National Test and Placement Test are available online.  Advisors should direct students to the Testing Services website.
    • Advisors can walk students to the testing office for additional information (if necessary)
    • All math placement exams for first-year and transfer students will be administered during orientation. If a student misses the exam they can contact the math department to reschedule.

    Testing Services Site

  • University Learning Center

    UC’s Point of Contact for General Inquiries – Office Assistant or Office Manager 


    UC Expectation / Advice

    • Advisors are welcome to walk students to the individual centers (if possible).
    • Advisors can also walk the student through the online registration/appointment system while the student is in their office.
    • The ULC utilizes an online appointment system for all Learning Services, tutoring, Writing Center tutoring, and Math appointments
    • Students do not need to make appointments for supplemental instruction (SI) supported courses.  Students should receive e-mails from the SI leader for their particular courses.  The list of SI supported courses is on the ULC website.
    • All appointments must be made 24 hours in advance
    • Students who arrive 15 minutes late will result in a missed appointment

    ULC Site