image 475x230

Procedures for Independent Contractor

Travel Authorization

Before an Independent Contractor can come to campus for Official Business for the University the PUR 1.40 must be completed and approved.

All PUR 1.40 forms require the approval of the following people:

  • Independent Contractor
  • Department Head or Chairperson
  • Budget Authority for all funds being charged
  • Grant Officer if a grant fund is being charged
  • Tax Compliance Office
  • Human Resources

*If the independent contractor is from outside the United States a Foreign National Form needs to be completed and submitted to the Tax Compliance Office before the travel begins.


Prepaid expenses are only available for airfare.  The following may be paid directly to the vendor in advance of the trip.

  • Agency Airfare
    1. Contact travel agency and select the flight desired.
    2. Complete the Pre-Approval.
    3. include the flight information on the paper travel authorization including the service fee with the price of the ticket.
    4. Travel Office will notify the travel agency to purchase the ticket once it has been approved.
    5. For information regarding Travel Agencies that may be used for Prepaid Airfare please go to our webpage designated for this topic. Agency Airfare
  • * Please note if personal time is included with the travel you will need to get a quote from the travel agency showing the cost for the business dates only, round trip from traveler's duty station/home to Wilmington. This will need to be submitted to the Travel Office with the Pre-Approval and airfare itinerary. If the ticket including the personal time is more than the business time the employee will have to submit a check to the University for the difference.

  • Lodging
      1. The department can choose to have a direct bill for lodging when bringing in an Independent Contractor.
      2. The dept needs to contact the hotel to make the arrangements
      3. Complete the Pre-Approval including:
          • Hotel Name
          • Total Cost for room and tax (upgrades, internet and other amenities are not allowed as with all lodging)
          • Dates of reservation
          • Fund and Account
      4. Caitlin reviews the Pre-Approval and then provides the hotel with the authorization for payment. Only room rate and tax are included
      5. When the guest checks out of the hotel, the portfolio/receipt will be e-mailed to the Travel Office.

For any questions please contact Caitlin Osgood at or Sandy Gladden at

Travel Reimbursement

A travel reimbursement for the Independent Contractor can be submitted if the contract included travel reimbursements.  Once the trip is over it is time to create the expense report. All expenses that the independent contractor paid out of pocket (allowable travel expenses) should be included.

  1. Collect all original receipts from the Independent Contractor for reimbursement.
  2. Confirm the dates and times of the trip
  3. Foreign Currency receipts should be labeled as to what the expense is for and the date it was incurred.
  4. Upload a copy of approved PUR 1.40.
  5. After processing, the traveler will receive a check in the mail or a direct deposit if they are set up for direct deposit.


Travel Reimbursement Deadline

Please keep in mind that the state requires all travel reimbursements to be submitted/received in the Travel Office within 30 calendar days of the return.