Tech Talk: ITS Newsletter

August, 2020

Take Action - Your Zoom Cloud Recordings

In anticipation of the fall 2020 academic semester, Zoom cloud recordings created before August 20, 2019, will be purged beginning September 30, 2020. To retain those Zoom cloud recordings, please download the recordings, and upload them to your Echo360 account or to an alternative video storage solution. For instructions on how to upload a recording from Zoom cloud recordings to your Echo360 library, please follow the "How do I Add my Zoom Recordings to my Echo360 library?" knowledge base instructions.

Why are my cloud recordings being deleted?

Great question! In accordance with best practices for file management, UNCW regularly assesses cloud storage capacity for the platforms we support. 

Zoom cloud recording is a university-wide shared resource that has a finite storage limit. With our recent growth in Zoom usage, we are approaching our storage limit in the Zoom Cloud, which means we need to free up space by removing cloud recordings created before August 20, 2019. 

*Please note: In order to maintain ample cloud storage space for all UNCW users, Zoom cloud recordings will remain available for the duration of each academic semester. At the conclusion of each spring and fall semester, Zoom cloud recordings will be deleted automatically to free up capacity for the upcoming semester. 

Help! Will I lose my recordings?

Don't worry! As mentioned above, you can download your Zoom recordings and upload them to your Echo360 account or to an alternative video storage solution. 

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

We recommend activating your Echo360 account. It's very easy to do and has unlimited storage. Once activated, your video will be uploaded automatically to Echo360 the next time you record something using Zoom! For assistance, please follow the "How do I Add my Zoom Recordings to my Echo360 library?" knowledge base instructions.

All UNCW faculty, students and staff have access to an Echo360 account for storage, creation and management of video files. To activate your Echo360 account, please follow the "How do I Activate my Echo360?" knowledge base instructions.

If you have any questions, please CHAT with TAC or visit the Technology Assistance Center homepage for additional resources.