Sponsored Programs & Research Compliance

Image of a European Map

Export Control Regulations

Export Controls refer to a set of federal regulations that restrict the following:

  • Sending certain physical items overseas
  • Sending certain technology or software abroad
  • Sharing certain technology and software with foreign nationals in the U.S. - including UNCW staff, UNCW students, and visitors
  • Providing services to certain countries, organizations, and individuals

What is Affected by Export Controls?

  • Physical items, technology, and software
  • Sponsored programs
  • Shipping
  • Travel
  • Foreign national hiring
  • Visitors


News and Updates

The UNCW Research Integrity Office (RIO), which oversees export control compliance at UNCW, continues to offer all services virtually. 

Please visit UNCW's Best for the Nest website for plans and guidelines related to COVID-19.  Other pandemic-related resources for research are posted here.

UNCW's Export Control Policy applies to all UNCW personnel and activities.  Please read the memorandum issued by Dr. Stuart Borrett, Associate Provost for Research and Innovation, that describes UNCW's commitment to maintaining compliance with regulations related to export controls by clicking here.

International Travel

If you are traveling internationally for your role at UNCW, export control regulations may apply to your trip. Export control regulations may apply if you are:

  • Taking certain items outside the US. Examples of common items that may be covered by the export control regulations include laptops and tablets (because they can contain encryption software), GPS units, high tech cameras, or any other equipment.
  • Attending or speaking at "closed" conferences outside of the US.
  • Sharing technology or software with a foreign person, by any means of communication. A “foreign person” is 1) Any person who is not a US citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States (green card holder); 2) Any foreign corporation or other entity or group that is not incorporated or organized to do business in the United States; and 3) Any foreign government.

Before traveling to a sanctioned or embargoed country such as Belarus, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Sudan, Ukraine, Yemen and Zimbabwe, please check with Research Integrity staff to determine if you require a license. Obtaining a license can be a lengthy process, so please contact ExportControls@uncw.edu as soon as you begin planning travel to a sanctioned or embargoed country. 

UNCW Export Controls Contacts


Tell the Export Control team in the Research Integrity Office how we're doing on this quick, 4-question survey, which you can also access by scanning this QR code!


Please be aware that the Office of Internal Audit at UNCW maintains an anonymous reporting tool to facilitate reporting of allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of funds. Concerns about ethical practices may also be reported anonymously to the State Auditor’s Fraud and Abuse Hotline by calling 1-800-730-8477 or filing a complaint online at http://www.ncauditor.net/HotTips/.