Office of the Registrar

Transfer Credit Frequently Asked Questions

En Español

Why is my credit not showing?
If you are a new student to University of North Carolina Wilmington, your transfer credit is articulated after you have been accepted to the university. Once an Orientation session is signed up for, you will have access to view your transfer credits on your academic transcript via SeaNet.

If you are a current student doing transient study at another institution, you are required to complete a Transient Study form (available from the department of your major) prior to enrolling at another institution. Upon receipt of an official transcript of the graded course(s) from the other institution, credit will be awarded and posted to the system according to the course approvals on your transient study form.

What grades are transferable to UNC Wilmington?
Only grades of C (2.00) or higher are transferable.

I took a course and earned a grade of 'C' (2.00) or better and it doesn't appear on my transfer credit evaluation?
It may be that the course is not comparable to any course at UNCW or it may not be a college transferable course.

To view the course equivalences for your school,visit the Transfer Equivalencies site. The Transfer Equivalencies site is updated each work day. If you have specific questions about how your credit has been evaluated contact the transfer articulation administrator. Be sure to provide the school and course in question.

What do I do if my transfer credit evaluation is missing course work that I have recently completed?
Transfer credit is articulated from the official transcripts of the institutions attended. If you are currently completing course work or were admitted using course work from a previously enrolled term, this most recent course work may not yet be articulated. This credit will be articulated once the Office of Admissions receives a final transcript reflecting the grades for this course work. Be sure to request that a final, completed transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions once your final course work is completed. We are unable to respond individually to requests for receipt confirmation on updated transcripts. Once the evaluation has been updated, SeaNet will reflect the latest revisions.

How do quarter hours convert to semester hours?
UNC Wilmington operates under the semester system. Semester hour totals will be less than quarter hour totals since the conversion is set at a rate of 1.5 (quarter to semester; ex: 3 quarter hours equal 2 semester hours). If you attended a North Carolina Community College prior to Summer, 1997 courses that were transferable have been converted to semester hours.

What are 001 numbered courses?
These are college transferable courses, however; UNC Wilmington does not offer a comparable course. Therefore, the subject code and 001 is used to distinguish these courses as elective credits. (ex: ENG 001 or PSY 001). If the course cannot be designated to a particular department, the ELEC001 designation is used for general elective credits. These courses may be further reviewed by the department of your major to determine if the course meets the intent of a specific course at UNC Wilmington. Contact your department advisor with any of these concerns or questions.

What is the maximum number of credit hours I can transfer to UNC Wilmington?
Students transferring to UNC Wilmington may receive up to 90 semester hours of academic credit from all institutions attended; however, not more than 64 total hours can be transferred from two-year institutions. Correspondence courses (15 semester hours maximum), CLEP credit, AP credit, International Baccalaureate (HL only) and military credit will be counted in the 90 hours.

Will my transfer GPA calculate in with my UNC Wilmington GPA?
Hours attempted and grade points earned at other institutions are not used in computing grade point averages except in the case of students applying to enter the Nursing program and seniors graduating with honors and/or distinctions.

I am a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien (green card holder), but I have taken courses at a college or university outside the U.S. How will those transfer?
If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien (green card holder) and have taken post-secondary school courses at a foreign institution, a credential evaluation report will need to be submitted to the Office of Admissions if you wish to receive a review to determine academic credit. The credential evaluation report initially will be used to assist in determining admissibility in accordance with UNCW standards. However, a final and official credit evaluation will be completed by the Office of the Registrar once admitted and deposited. See the International Admissions website for additional details: