Department of Psychology

Financial Support

Graduate Teaching Assistantships 

The Department of Psychology offers a limited number of graduate teaching assistantships (GTAs) to students enrolled in the Psychology Graduate Program.  A GTA assists in the teaching mission of the department by being a TA for a specific course, being in a TA pool, and/or assisting with undergraduate advising and other departmental tasks. Selection for these assistantships is based on an evaluation of undergraduate academic records, recommendations, experience and other relevant criteria.  A fulltime GTA is 20 hr/week, and students in the program are limited to 20 hr/week. GTAs also can be for 5-, 10-, or 15-hr/week. GTA duties will be assigned by the Graduate Coordinator. Departmental funding for GTAs is for a maximum of 2 years.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships (GAs) are awarded by offices and other departments at the University. For example, psychology graduate students have worked at Crossroads, CSURF, the Office of Assessment, and the School of Nursing. The duties, financial arrangements, and length of the GA vary.  Students will be informed of possibilities by the Graduate School or can apply for some through the Graduate School

Research Assistantships

Research Assistantships (RAs) are offered by the Psychology Department (and possible other departments) through individual faculty members who have funds available from research grants and contracts.  Principal Investigators of the grant determine who receives RAs.

Out-of-State Tuition Remissions

For students who have been classified as out-of-state, tuition is higher than that of in-state students (see Graduate School webpage on Financial Information for Prospective Students). A limited number of out-of-state tuition remissions are available to the department each year.  These remissions lower tuition payment to the level of that paid by an in-state student.  The remissions have been awarded on a competitive basis.  These remissions are for the first year.  During the first year at UNCW, students are expected to establish residency (see Graduate School webpage on Residency Information for Graduate Students).

Loans, Scholarships, Research Grants and Work Study

Besides teaching and research assistantships, state and federal loan and work study programs are available for qualified graduate students.  Specific information concerning details, applications, changes and additions may be obtained through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.