NC State Engineering 2+2 Transfer Program

Engineering Course Registration

The following information applies to UNCW 2+2 students (others should contact the Program Director) who want to take an engineering course on site at UNCW through the NC State College of Engineering Distance Education Program. There are three steps to complete the registration process, complete:

  • the NC State non-degree seeking student application
  • the creation of the Engineering Online account
  • and the UNCW permission for transient study form.
  1. Apply to NC State as a non-degree seeking student: To take an undergraduate distance education (DE) course from NC State, you need to apply to NC State as a non-degree seeking student.
    -Click "APPLY NOW"
    -On the DELTA Enrollment page of the application under the Enrollment Objectives section, make sure that when you see the statement, 'What is your enrollment objective?' check the button for 'NDS Online'.
    -'Are you anticipating enrollment in or completion of an Online and Distance Education Program?' select 'Yes'
    -Then select from the pull-down menu 'Site-Based Program in Wilmington'. You will NOT have to pay the $40 application fee if you select the Wilmington program option.
    -Please also be sure to enter your UNCW email address on your application.
    -In a few days you will receive a confirmation email with your NCSU unity ID and student ID number and directions as to how to create your initial password. Please keep this email for future reference.

  2. Go to the Engineering Online website, create an account, and complete the Engineering Online Registration Application. You may be prompted to register for a course, but when asked to do so, simply logout. Once you have completed this application, contact Dana Wynn and she will have you officially registered (enrolled) in the appropriate course(s).

  3. Complete a UNCW transient study form in MySeaPort.

Please carefully review the following information about Tuition & Financial Aid, Course Logistics, and other Administrative Details related to taking a DE course from NC State.


  • You are responsible for paying tuition for NC State DE course(s) yourself. This can be done in your MyPackPortal student account. UNCW will not pay it for you. If you are receiving financial aid from UNCW, please read the Financial Aid Transient Study page. UNCW may reimburse you for the tuition upon completion of some paperwork including, most importantly, the permission for transient study form above as well as the transient study for financial aid form that can be found on the linked site.
    -Please print the "Transient Study Request for Financial Aid" form, complete the form, and scan and email it to Kyle McMahan in the NC State Financial Aid office ( Please also copy the Program Director on this email. The NC State Financial Aid office will verify that you are not receiving additional aid from NC State, then you may submit the completed form to your financial aid counselor at UNCW.
  • If you were dropped from a DE course and have a hold on your account due to nonpayment, you will receive a notification email in your NC State email account. If you are a late registrant, the following also applies. Please follow the instructions contained in that email step by step to have the hold removed so you can be re-enrolled. Some helpful tips are found here:
    • The NC State Student Services Center website contains helpful tutorials on paying your bill. Login to the MyPackPortal as instructed and pay your tuition. The amount due will NOT be displayed on the web page like a normal invoice. You will need to enter the amount due for the number of credit hours you are taking (the link in the email will take you to the Cashier's Office website so you may determine the amount). If you have questions about the amount, please contact the Program Director. Once your payment has been accepted, you will receive an email in your NC State email account acknowledging payment and this email will include a confirmation number.
    • Next, forward a copy of the confirmation email to student accounts at and ask them to remove the hold. Be sure to include your NC State student ID number AND cc: Dana Wynn and the Program Director so she can have you re-enrolled in the course(s).

Back to the Top


  • Because the course(s) you are taking originate(s) from NC State, the calendar on which NC State operates may be different from the UNCW calendar. This may mean that the NC State course starts later or earlier than UNCW courses. It also means that the course may end later or earlier than UNCW courses, and exams may have to be taken later or earlier than UNCW exams. It is your responsibility to plan for this when deciding when to vacate the UNCW campus or Wilmington for vacation or work. Most instructors will expect you to take the exam when it is scheduled at NC State. Do not assume otherwise.
  • Textbooks for any DE course can be obtained from the NCSU bookstore or other online retailers. The Program Director will send textbook information via email a few weeks prior to the start of a given semester.
  • Every DE course will have a course web page that will be provided to you on the course syllabus. It is your responsibility to check these websites often and keep up with course material. You can also access course websites via the Engineering Online home page. On the Student Resources menu click on the 'Site Course Homepages' link.
  • Many DE courses require engineering paper. It is available from the UNCW bookstore and some office supply stores.

Back to the Top


  • Just as a reminder, NC State will use your unity email address for all academic correspondence. You will not be able to use a personal or UNCW email address. You can have the NC State email server forward NC State email to another address. Login to MyPackPortal to do this.
  • If you are having problems accessing your NC State Unity account or forgot your password, visit the NC State Office of Information Technology Password site.
  • If any of your registration information such as name, address, etc., changes, be sure to update this information in the NC State MyPackPortal.
  • When you take a DE course from NC State as part of the 2+2 Transfer Program, you are taking a DE section of a regularly scheduled NC State engineering course. Therefore, when you finish the course, you will receive a grade that will become part of your permanent NC State transcript even though you most likely have not yet been admitted as a degree-seeking student at NC State. If your average GPA in all of the NC State DE courses is less than a 2.0, you will not be eligible for admittance to NC State until you have raised your GPA to above a 2.0. This is a university admissions requirement.
  • When you complete the DE course(s) and receive a grade, promptly request that a transcript be sent from NC State to UNCW. This is especially true if you are receiving financial aid and insurance coverage from your parents or if you decide to remain at UNCW instead of transferring. Doing this, in essence, completes the transient study process. Transcripts can be obtained from NC State through Registration and Records.

Back to the Top