Living Off-Campus: FAQs

As you begin your off-campus housing search, you may have a lot of questions.  See below for the answers to commonly asked questions.

  • Can I use my finanical aid to pay for off-campus housing?

    YES! The financial aid a student receives goes to pay the UNCW bill. There is often extra money left over once everything on the bill is paid; especially if the student doesn't’t have on-campus housing, dining, and/or the UNCW insurance. The student will receive that excess money the first week of class through direct deposit or a check, depending on how they set it up through Ebill: The reimbursement will be automatic once the bill is covered. For example, if the student receives $10,000 in aid, and the bill is $6,000, the remaining $4,000 would be given to the student to cover extra expenses (e.g. off campus housing or other school related expenses). Other inquiries about the process should be directed to your financial aid counselor:

  • How can I find a roommate?

    The PERCH Off-Campus Housing website has a roommate finder feature that allows UNCW students to fill out a profile and search for a roommate. Students will create a profile (similiar to facebook) where you can share who you are as a roommate and what you are looking for.  Then you will be able to message other people who you think would be a good fit for you.

  • How long is a lease for?

    Typically leases last for 12 months, but there are several places in Wilmington that offer short-term or flexible leases. To view some of these places, visit the PERCH Off-Campus Housing website and use the Lease Length sort option under the Housing section.

  • Can I park on-campus if I live off-campus? What is the 1-mile raidus rule?

    If you live outside of the 1-mile radius of campus, you may purchase a commuter student parking permit. If you live within the 1-mile radius of campus, you can only park on campus if you purchase a night and weekend parking permit. A night and weekend permit allows for students to park on campus during weekends hours and during the week between the hours of 5:00pm and 7:00am. Many students living within the 1-mile radius choose to walk, bike, skateboard, or carpool to campus. There are also free shuttle buses that run throughout the 1-mile radius and bring students to campus. Visit the Parking website for more information on parking permits and shuttle bus routes.

  • Can I still purchase a meal plan if I live off-campus?

    Yes, commuter students may choose to purchase an on-campus meal plan, but they are not required to do so. For more information about on campus meal plans, visit the Campus Dining website.

  • Are there shuttle busses that run to off-campus apartments?

    Yes, there are shuttle buses that run throughout the 1-mile radius of campus and bring students to campus. Many of the stops along the routes are directly in front of or across from off-campus apartments. These buses, as well as all of the Wave Transit buses, are free for UNCW students to ride.  You can access the routes here.

  • How safe is off-campus housing?

    For information on crime statistics, call the Wilmington Police Public Information Officer line at (910) 343-3602. If you are concerned about safety, ask the places you are interested in what safety measures they have in place. For instance, do they have alarm systems? Is it in a gated community? Are there security guards on patrol? How well-lit is the neighborhood?

  • Where should I look for off-campus housing?

    Visit the PERCH Off-Campus Housing website and look under the Housing section. You can view apartments, houses, condos, etc. that are available to rent. Use the different sort options to sort by price range, number of bedrooms or bathrooms, lease length, pet allowances, neighborhood location, and more.

  • Can I still use on-campus amenities if I live off-campus?

    Yes, you can still use on-campus amenities, even if you are an off campus student.

  • I have a place available that I am looking to sublease or rent out to students, where can I list it?

    You can post your available sublease or rental on the PERCH Off-Campus Housing website. We direct all students inquiring about off-campus housing to this website.