Student Conduct

Frequently Asked Questions

This information is being presented to assist you in understanding the conduct process at UNCW, as well as your role in that process. It is meant to serve as a supplement to the Code of Student Life and in no way replaces any of the policies or procedures that are documented there. You should make yourself familiar with Section II: Student Conduct and Appeals, prior to your conduct meeting and/or hearing. Questions about that process should be directed to the Office of the Dean of Students.

Q: I just received a referral…now what should I do?

A: If you've received a referral from a staff member in Housing & Residence Life or the University Police:

  • The Office of the Dean of Students will contact you via email to schedule a prehearing meeting to discuss the alleged violation(s) of the Code of Student Life. Depending on the situation, your conduct case may be able to be resolved during that meeting.
  • If necessary, a formal administrative or Campus Conduct Board hearing will be scheduled at a later time to address the conduct charge(s) against you.

Q: How does the Office of the Dean of Students find out about violations?

A: Most of the time, violations are reported by Housing & Residence Life staff members (such as resident assistants) or University Police. Sometimes violations are reported by students, faculty, or members of the greater Wilmington community.

Q: If I get in trouble off campus, will UNCW find out and will I be in trouble on campus?

A: UNCW has a good working relationship with local law enforcement (ex: Wilmington Police Department, New Hanover County Sheriff's Department, Wrightsville Beach Police Department, etc.). Many times, when students violate federal, state, or local law off campus these agencies will notify UNCW. At that point, UNCW will investigate to determine if you will go through the on campus conduct process. Remember, you are a Seahawk wherever you go.

Q: Do I need to get a lawyer?

A: Students going through the student conduct process are allowed one person with them to their hearing. If they chose to do so they may request a university advisor, hire a licensed attorney, or bring a non-attorney advocate with them to the hearing.

University Advisors- allowed in Administrative, Campus Conduct Board, and Student Academic Honor Board hearings. They can help the student prepare for their hearing and can accompany them to the hearing but they are not permitted to speak on behalf of the student.

Licensed Attorney's and Non-Attorney Advocates - allowed in Administrative and Campus Conduct Board hearings and hearings with the Extraordinary Committee on Disciplinary Emergencies. They can help the student prepare for their hearing and can accompany them to the hearing. Licensed attorney's and non-attorney advocates may speak on the students behalf.

Any student who chooses not to appear at their hearing may not be represented by a university advisor, non-university advisor, licensed attorney, or non-attorney advocate.

Always be honest with your advisor - they can't give you good advice or support for your hearing if you don't tell them the truth about your situation.

Q: Should I choose an Administrative Hearing or a hearing with the Campus Conduct Board?

A: An administrative hearing is a hearing before a single hearing officer. The Campus Conduct Board is made up of students and faculty members and is a more formal process. The Campus Conduct Board is not in session during exam periods, university breaks, or in the summer. Both types of hearings allow for you to share your story and offer supplemental evidence, bring in witnesses, and question any information/witnesses the university provides.

Q: Are my parents going to find out?

A: Parents or guardians of students under the age of 21, who are placed on disciplinary probation for a violation of an alcohol or drug offense, will be notified through written correspondence by the Office of the Dean of Students The purpose of the notification is to encourage parents to discuss the situation with the student, define the terms and conditions of disciplinary probation and encourage parents to work with the university in addressing behaviors which fall below the university's conduct standards. Additionally, the Office of the Dean of Students will contact the parents/guardians of students who are in jeopardy of being suspended from the university.

Q: What are possible sanctions for violations of the Code?

A: Our goal is to help students make good decisions so many of our sanctions involve education. If you are charged with an alcohol or drug violation, it's very likely that you will be sanctioned to attend a class provided by CROSSROADS. There are fees of $100 and $150 associated with these classes which are placed on your student account. Students may also be placed on written warning or disciplinary probation, depending on the violation. If the violation involves damage to the university or its property, a student may be sanctioned to pay restitution or do community service.

Q: What should I do if see someone violating the Code?

A: If you see someone violating the Code, say something to them. Holding your fellow Seahawk accountable is an important part of creating a safe and successful community. However if you witness a violation and you feel unsafe bringing it up with that person/organization, tell a university employee. If you live on campus, your resident assistant is a great first step.

Remember, you are responsible for what happens in your residence hall room/apartment. If someone is violating a law or policy in your space and you don't say anything, you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of being in trouble too.

Q: What should I do if I am a victim of a crime?

A: If you are a victim of a crime there are several campus resources available. To report a crime, call University Police (962-2222). If you need support related to assault, abuse, violence, or harassment call CARE (962-CARE or after hours at 910-512-4821). CARE can offer you resources on and off campus and support through an advocate.

Q: Can I make an anonymous report to the university?

A: If you need to report a violation and are concerned about revealing your identity, you can call 962-TIPS and speak with university police

Q: If I get in trouble at UNCW, will it affect my grades?

A: No, but it can affect other aspects of your college experience. Many leadership positions on campus (ex: orientation leaders, resident assistants, etc.) will not accept applicants who have been placed on disciplinary probation. Additionally, violations at UNCW may have to be reported when you apply for internships, student teaching positions, or graduate schools. These violations may even have to be reported for jobs after college.

Q: How can I avoid getting in trouble at UNCW or in the surrounding community?

A: Make good decisions: be legal, be safe, and be responsible.