Student Conduct

Returning from Suspension


Students who have been suspended from UNCW may choose to complete the steps below in order to make a request to return from suspension. Students may choose to return from suspension in order to reenroll at UNCW or to be considered in good conduct standing, which can help with transferring to another university.

To return to UNCW, you must comply with the instructions on this page and be academically eligible. If your cumulative GPA does not meet university retention standards, you may not be eligible to return to UNCW. If you have questions about your academic standing, you may contact your academic advisor by phone.

Please remember that in order to be approved for a meeting with Senior Associate Dean Jennie McNeilly to discuss your request to return to UNCW, documentation confirming your completion of the steps outlined below must be sent to the designated persons at least six weeks prior to the start of the term for which you are seeking to return. Failure to submit your documentation at least six weeks prior to the start of the term may result in ineligibility for that term.

Provided you meet all criteria outlined and have submitted all required documentation, the Office of the Dean of Students will contact you to schedule a meeting to discuss your status. During your meeting with Dean McNeilly, you must demonstrate that you have changed your behavior and are prepared to re-enter our community as a contributing member whose conduct will be exemplary.

Send the following documentation care of the Assistant for Student Conduct & Community Standards:

UNCW Office of the Dean of Students
601 S. College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5941 

Student OneCard

If you have not already done so, please return your UNCW Student Identification Card.

Cover Letter

Addressed to Senior Associate Dean of Students, Jennie McNeilly, describing how you have spent your time away from UNCW, and requesting a meeting with her to consider your return to the university. This letter must include a current mailing address and telephone contact number.


Your sworn and notarized affidavit should state:
  1. I have complied with the terms of my sanction(s) and other requirements listed in this letter
  2. I have cleared all prior financial obligations to the university, including any amounts with collection services, regarding my student account
  3. I have not been the subject of, party to, or responsible for any further campus incidents; and
  4. I have not been subject of, party to criminal charges or convicted of, or otherwise accept responsibility for any violations, including those arising out of or which are the subject of this incident, of Federal, state, or local criminal statues, and have no criminal charges pending against me.

If you are unable to swear to all of the statements as they are written above, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at 910.962.3119 to discuss your next steps.

*Send the following documentation care of the Counseling Center Director:

UNCW Counseling Center
601 S. College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5937

*Typically, if your sanction was a result of a drug or alcohol violation, you will need to send the following to the above address. Please refer to your suspension letter or call the Office of the Dean of Students at 910.962.3119 if you are unsure of whether you need to complete this section.

Substance Assessment

Documentation that you have received an assessment by a licensed mental health professional which specifically addresses the substance use that contributed towards your suspension. The documentation must come directly from the provider.

Request for Limited Release

A letter providing current contact information and requesting a limited release of information form to allow consultation between the Counseling Center and the Office of the Dean of Students.

Release with Provider

Sign a release with the provider authorizing them to send documentation describing services, recommendations, and treatment summary to the address listed above. If you saw more than one provider, i.e., one for the assessment and another for treatment, have both providers send in the required documentation.

*Re-Enrollment Application

*Students who would like to reenroll at UNCW following their suspension are required to submit a reenrollment application, regardless of length of suspension. The reenrollment application is found in SeaLevel and information regarding deadlines and application requirements can be found through The Office of Admissions. Please note that deadlines for reenrollment applications may not follow the same deadlines as the return from suspension process. Questions about the reenrollment process and deadlines should be directed to The Office of Admissions at 910.962.3243 or