Watson Chronicle

WATSON COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Student Opportunities and Student News

Madchen Lastinger is Featured in Hawk’s Eye View Spotlight

Wednesday, September 01, 2021

The Watson College is pleased to share a Hawk’s Eye View student spotlight featuring  Madchen Lastinger ’22. The story was published in June. Madchen is currently a senior at UNCW.

Hawk’s Eye View:
Madchen Lastinger ’22

Madchen Lastinger ’22 decided on a career related to education pretty early in life. As a middle schooler, she volunteered in a local elementary school helping a special education teacher. A few years later, she joined the Future Teacher Career Academy – a unique partnership between the UNCW and Isaac Bear Early College to inspire and prepare aspiring educators. Today, she’s a junior in the Watson College with plans to teach in New Hanover County Schools with a specialization in behavior support.

In this Hawk’s Eye View, Madchen shares how her varied experiences in the Watson College – plus the experience of learning to teach in a pandemic – have influenced her plans for the future.

Who are the UNCW faculty or staff who’ve made a big impact on you?

Probably (Betty Holden Stike Education Laboratory Director) Dr. (Brian) Brinkley the most, because I’ve known him the longest. He’s been there to always push me forward. He’s always been supportive in everything I do. Another one is Dr. (Alex) Chambers. I like the way he talks about special education and the way he approaches it. He also focuses a lot on data analysis – that’s something I didn’t think much about before. When you talk about collecting data on students in education, it’s something that can make a difference not only in a teacher’s career but also in your students’ experiences.

How has your UNCW experience been unlike any other you may have had elsewhere?

Everything has been weird because of COVID. Last semester, I worked with the Ed Lab. Even though we couldn’t go onto campus to the actual Ed Lab, we were connected with a student to work with them one-on-one for a few months. Virtual teaching can be really confusing if you’ve never worked with a student like that before, but the (Ed Lab faculty) make sure you feel confident in what you're doing. They were there to support and guide you through everything and meet one-on-one if you needed to.

The Watson College and Dr. Brinkley also connected me with a job tutoring at D.C. Virgo (Preparatory Academy). I started there last semester, and I was able to come back this spring and do even more with the students. I do intervention work with the kids, which has been a great chance to put what I’m learning in class into practice there. I am tutoring in person now – there are some kids who are still virtual, but it’s been a great experience both ways.

Read the full story on UNCW’s Like No Other website: Hawk’s Eye View: Madchen Lastinger ’22