Watson Chronicle

WATSON COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Student Opportunities and Student News

Carly Carmack Featured in We Are the Class of 2021

Monday, May 03, 2021

Carly Carmack  ’20, ’21M was recently featured in a special collection of We Are the Class of 2021 profiles. The article, written by Trisha Vance, appeared on the UNCW homepage on May 3.

We Are Class of ’21: UNCW: Carly Carmack  ’20, ’21M

There was a time when Carly Carmack ’20, ’21M didn’t believe she could succeed in a college environment. That changed when her husband was managing an oyster farm and Carmack, who grew up on the Virginia coast, wanted to learn more about it. In May, she will earn a Master of Arts in Teaching from UNCW after completing her undergraduate studies in marine biology.

“I was never interested in learning when I was younger; I had no desire to go to college and I definitely didn't think that I could succeed at it,” she said. “It took lots of encouragement, faith and perseverance to help me overcome that. Each class that I enjoyed and succeeded in pushed me further.”

Transferring to UNCW after earning an associate’s degree at a community college, Carmack quickly learned that the campus is welcoming and the faculty and staff want to help students thrive.

“The professors were beyond helpful, with a desire to see students succeed,” she said. “There were so many opportunities to get involved or take learning to the next level; if I had an interest in something, professors would always take the time to connect me with an opportunity to further my learning.”

Read the full article here: We Are Class of ’21: Carly Carmack

View profiles of other 2021 graduates on the We Are the Class of 2021 website.