Watson Chronicle

WATSON COLLEGE OF EDUCATION

Watson College News

Sarah Johnson Honored as NCVPS Teacher of the Year

Thursday, April 04, 2019

Sarah Johnson ’06, ’08M has been named the 2019 North Carolina Virtual Public School Teacher of the Year. She teaches Occupational Course of Study (OCS) English in partnership with schools across the state. The award was announced in February, and presented at the State Teacher of the Year Banquet in Cary on April 12.

Johnson was a UNCW Teaching Fellow. She holds a degree in English and English licensure, and earned her M.Ed. in Language and Literacy from the Watson College in 2008. She began her career at her alma mater, Piedmont High School in Monroe, North Carolina, where she taught English for five years. She has been a teacher with NCVPS for four years and an Instructional Leader for the OCS English Department for the past two years.

“This award is such an amazing honor because I was selected to represent all of NCVPS which is made up of about 800 teachers,” Johnson said. “Having my hard work and dedication to my students and partner teachers recognized means the world to me.”

Johnson enjoys collaborating with OCS classroom teachers to provide the best learning experiences for students. As an NCVPS teacher, she has both the flexibility to work from home while being with her daughters, and time in her schedule to visit schools, teach alongside her classroom counterparts and get to know students in a face-to-face setting, she said.

“While it's practically unheard of to have school visits from a virtual teacher, it has been one of my favorite things, since I get to put faces to names and see the students in action,” Johnson said. “Working with OCS students is such a pleasure because even though most of them struggle with reading and writing, their classroom teachers and I, in conjunction with the NCVPS English content, can set them up for success with daily announcements and activities that are customized to fit their needs and capitalize on their strengths. I have visited classes to read with students, host review games and help them on course assignments. Working with high schoolers is what I truly miss the most, so these school visits have been the icing on the cake.”