Inside CAS

College of Arts and Sciences

News and Notes

Three Members of the College of Arts and Sciences Recently Received Prestigious Fulbright Awards to Study Abroad

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ernst

Written by Caroline Cropp; Photo by Chris Ingham

Three members of the College of Arts and Sciences recently received prestigious Fulbright awards to study abroad.

Tiffany Ernst ‘17, a marine biology and chemistry double major, received a Fulbright to study at Radboud University in the Netherlands, where she is pursuing a master’s program in biology with a specialization in adaptive organisms. “My first thoughts were, “I have to tell her,” she said. “Dr. Koopman’s guidance has made me the scientist and academic I am today. I’m thankful for all the incredible UNCW faculty whose passion and guidance helped me receive such a prestigious award.”

Nicholas Sweet ‘17, a German and International Studies major, received a Fulbright Scholarship to work as an English teacher’s assistant in Germany this fall. “I volunteered as an English as a Second Language conversation partner for most of my academic career at UNCW and was dead-set on applying,” he said. “As a German major and with my love of teaching languages, it was the perfect opportunity.”

Sweet 

PHOTO COURTESY UNCW UNIVERSITY RELATIONS

Dean Aswani Volety was awarded a Fulbright to attend an International Education Administrators Seminar in France. This fall, Volety will travel to Toulouse, Paris and Brussels to enhance collaborations, and student and faculty mobility, through exchange and study-abroad programs.

The Fulbright Program is a highly competitive, merit-based grant for international educational exchange for students, scholars, teachers, professionals, scientists and artists. In 2016, UNCW was recognized as a top producer of Fulbright Scholars.